Default Generic vs. Brand Name Medications

What is a generic medicine?
    All medicines have two names:

brand
    generic
    For example:
    Brand: Prozac
    Generic: Fluoxetine

Each medicine has a generic name to describe the ingredients. Drug companies give their medicines brand names.

Is there a difference between brand name and generic drugs?
    Usually, the difference is in the name and the price of the medicine. A generic drug must have the same active ingredients as the brand name drug in order for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to approve the generic. The generic drug must also be the same strength, and the same dosage form (pill, liquid, shot) as the brand name.

Sometimes, generic medicines have different fillers or additives that may cause slightly different effects. If you have questions or concerns about taking a generic medicine, be sure to let your doctor know.

Generic medicines might not look like brand name medicines. The way the generic medicine looks does not change the way it works in your body. Remember, never assume that a medicine that looks different is "generic." Double check with the pharmacist before you leave the pharmacy. If you have questions about the way your medicine looks, ask your pharmacist to explain.

How do I get a generic medicine?
    Ask your doctor or pharmacist if an equivalent generic form of your brand name medicine is available. You can also discuss the difference in price between the generic and brand name medicine.

Not all medicines are available in a generic form. Your doctor may prescribe a medicine that is available only in the brand name form.

What if I do not want generic medicine?
    Share your concerns with your doctor. If you both agree that a generic medicine is not the best choice for you, ask your doctor to write, "Do not substitute" on your prescription. This lets your pharmacist know that only the brand name is to be used in filling the prescription. Depending on your health plan, you may have to pay more for, or cover the entire cost of, the brand name.

Maria-Bella is offline New Member

If it weren't for generic drugs, I'd spend my entire salary on my family's medications
    Most of generic medicines are manufactured in India. The Indian generics are good from all points of view (quality, effect, price). I have chanse to convince that it is better avoiding generics manufactured in China. I have ordered some a Chinese a couple of months ago to try, but they had no effect. I get my monthly supply from x-cheap-pharmacy.com and I am very happy with products received from this pharmacy.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Maria-Bella View Post
    If it weren't for generic drugs, I'd spend my entire salary on my family's medications
    Most of generic medicines are manufactured in India. The Indian generics are good from all points of view (quality, effect, price). I have chanse to convince that it is better avoiding generics manufactured in China. I have ordered some a Chinese a couple of months ago to try, but they had no effect. I get my monthly supply from x-cheap-pharmacy.com and I am very happy with products received from this pharmacy.

Most generic medications are NOT made in India or China. That is wrong information. Drug companies make generic drugs in the United States just like other drugs once patents expire. Lots of these cheap foreign pharmacies are selling trash. People need to stay away from these foreign online pharmacies like you describe. There is no recourse if they steal your money and they are not trustworthy as a general rule. Legit online pharmacies require the same things that a Walgreens pharmacy or any other regular pharmacy requires.

prg09 is offline New Member

I buy generic drugs such as Equate or Walgreens depending on what I'm using it for. As with the person above, I stay away from foreign generic drugs since the FDA has not necessarily approved them, Walgreens and other generics typically have the same active ingredients as those expensive name brands but come at a much lower price. I use smartgeneric.com to help me find the right brand for me.

samuel50 is offline New Member

Most of the generic medicines have the same amount of active ingredients as branded one. The FDA approves the generic medicines when it matches the branded ingredients.