Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Fentanyl Withdrawal-Please Help Me!!!
    Stardust1959 is offline New Member

Default Fentanyl Withdrawal-Please Help Me!!!

My Pain Management Doctor has me up to 50mg of Fentanyl (patch). I don't need it any longer, as my Spinal Fusion has healed and I am no longer in pain. He told to see him today and he would help me. But when I got there, he said he doesn't remember saying he would help me and that (I am on my own!!).
    I told him that I went from the 50 to the 25 like he told me too and within 6 hours, I was Trembling, Nausea's, the room was spinning and I felt so strange (my stomach & head) I thought I was going to have a seizure and had to go back to the 50's. He said too bad, that I would have to suffer with it like all his other patients.
    But I can't. I have severe Panic Disorder and am curently on 5mg+ of Xanax a day, and 450 Wellbutrin, and it [u]WILL</u> send me into a seizure.
    He still says too bad. In about a month I have to have an open abdominal surgery for severe Adhesions. I asked him (what about that?) And he said, there is nothing stronger than the Fentanyl and that I would be in [u]pretty severe pain </u>because no matter what they give me, [u]it WILL NOT work</u>!!
    [u]How long does it take to get off this stuff? I have only been on it for 5 months. And how long in the future can I take something and it actually work again??I am really getting scared.</u> Thank's,
    Stardust

Stardust1959 is offline New Member

ANYONE? PLEASE HELP!!

My Doctor gave me a prescription for my pain medicine "NORCO" 5/325, They were white oval pills with blue specks. With one refill, they were exactly the same as the first bottle.
    Today she CALLED in a new prescription for the same thing. I picked it up at the pharmacy and when I got home, I noticed they were rather large cream colored pills with the marking of 5161 on one side and nothing on the other side. I returned to the pharmacy and he corrected it, saying he was sorry. But when my husband and I had asked what it was, the pharmacist told us he did not know. He also asked me if I had taken any, I told him no, since they did not look like anything I have ever seen before.
    Can anyone tell me what those pills were?
    Thank You,
    Stardust1959

longblckwavyhair is offline New Member

I also had my spine fused, then broken, then fused again. My pain management doctor gave me the fentanyl patch - worst mistake of my life. I am now off of it, however.
    This is what I suggest you do: wean down from 50 to 25 to 12.5 to nothing. It was about a 2-3 month process for me...difficult, but very necessary. I am wearing something called a Clonidine patch, which is helping tremendously with the withdrawal symptoms. Small dosages of Valium will help with the anxiety and sleeping problems - both of which I am still feeling, even though I am 36 days off of the fentanyl. Cannabis - I strongly recommend smoking. If you live in Cali, you're very lucky. Otherwise, just do it. There are plenty of doccuments and articles written on the subject. Read 'em if you're hesitant, but it should really calm you, in regards to your unfortunate panic attacks (which I was getting a lot, a lot). Other than all of this, I suggest hypnotherapy. As strange as it may sound to many, I am a strong believer in this field of psychotherapy. Anyone living in chronic pain should be seeing someone, but a hypnotherapist gets to your subconcious and teaches you how to self-treat yourself, how to calm yourself. Yoga - another calming and head-clearing activity.
    Basically, during the detox process, the last thing you want to do is to slap on another patch because you're feeling any of the incalculable withdrawl symptoms. Do anything you can to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Eat right, drink lots of water (no caffine), lay with heat packs, look into a TENS unit for the pain - whatever it takes!
    Don't worry about how long it will take, because then it will never happen - you'll drive yourself crazy. Take one day at a time. This way, you WILL see differences in yourself. You only get better and better as the days go by. As soon as you wean down, your body will try and regulate itself as soon as possible. So, help it, but keep yourself as comfortable as possible - even if it means taking more oral meds. in the meantime (as soon as your body is detoxed from the fentanyl, you won't need to take as many oral meds.). I, for instance, was taking 10mg of percocet with the patch. Once I took it off, I was taking 40-50mg...now, I'm back down to 15mg...and every day I see new developments.
    It's a very difficult process. Not very many people can detox on their own without going to a hospital. But, be strong! And, again, grass cures all

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Stardust, the pharmacist knew, duh, he gave you generic Vicoprofen (Hydrocodone/Ibuprofen)7.5/200

Wow, you sure have a butthole for a Dr!

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )~~

hawkman81980 is offline New Member

Default I'm in the same boat

I'm sorry to hear that you have a rough time trying to get off fentanyl. I am in the same boat. I take 100 mcq every 48 hours. I started lower and made my way up to this. My doctor and I have tried lowering the doses, and it didn't work for me either. I went into withdrawals within hours. It is the worst feelings I've ever had in my life. Anxiety, cold sweats, yawing, tears watering. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. I felt so helpless. I'm told I throw myself around. I must blackout. I've tried several times to ween myself, but I always end up back on the 100. I try going down to 75. Supposedly there is a new patch that is 12.5 mcq. Maybe this would make it easier for us. My doctor treats me the same way. He says it's my fault, and that I'm going to be on these for the rest of my life. The nurse tells me I'm going to get the doctor in trouble. I don't care anymore. This is ruining my life.
    I've heard of a drug called suboxone. They have a website suboxone.com It's a newer drug approved by the FDA. Only certain doctors can give it out, and it's easy for them to get certified. The have a provider locater, so hopefully they have a doctor near you. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking into it. Sounds like a miracle drug, and you can get a script for it. No hospitals. I hope this helps, and I'm sorry you are going threw this. I feel your pain, and I want you to know you aren't the only one. In fact I thought I was, until I read your posting. Good luck and let us know what happens. Your friend Andy

ymccormack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman81980 View Post
    I've heard of a drug called suboxone. They have a website suboxone.com It's a newer drug approved by the FDA. Only certain doctors can give it out, and it's easy for them to get certified. The have a provider locater, so hopefully they have a doctor near you. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking into it. Sounds like a miracle drug, and you can get a script for it.
    I agree...you may be a good candidate for suboxone. of course, then you'll have to get off the suboxone but I'm told you can taper it much more easily.

Keep us posted
    YM

les_ftc is offline New Member

Fentanly was a life saver for me at first. It allowed me to work, drive, function normally. I increased from 25mcg/hr patch to 50 mcg/hr patch rather quickly. After several months my primary pain condition improved (4 level disk degeneration) and my doctor told me he was going to start my detox process. Upon hearing the word "detox" I was concerned. I didn't feel like an addict. I used the patches EXACTLY as prescribed. I never felt "high" or "loaded." I used the patch to treat pain only - my life is full and complete, I have no need for chemical repreive. But I had been on the patch every day for months.
    After the doctor told me he was going to start to detox me, I went straight home and took the patch off. I was in full blown withdrawl the next day. Sweats, chills, pain, flopping on the couch like a fish out of water, vomitting. These symptoms lasted three days without subsiding. My wife wanted me to go to the hospital every minute of those three days, but I figured I had to be close to finished. After three days and I'm still vomitting I put a patch back on (50 mcg/hr) and my symptoms subsided about six hours later. I swore I'd never go cold-turkey again. I do not recommend it. It was hell on me and my family. Also very degrading. . .it's humiliating to be a successful, loving human being reduced to drug addition withdrawl. Very hard to get my head around. Junkies go through withdrawl under bridges, not good patients with jobs who follow their doctors orders!
    Later my doctor had me return to my 25mcg/hr patch and prescribed me methodone 10mg pills. I was to take a methodone pill 4 times daily for four days, then three for four days, the two for four days, etc. until I was not taking any methodone. Then I was to remove the fentanyl patch and start the methodone regimen over: 4X4, 3X4, 2X4, 1X4, 1/2X4. then quit.
    From day one I was determined to stop so I took my fentenyl patch off and only took the methodone pill when I felt nausea coming on. . .I figured I could live with the rest of the symptoms. I ended up taking about 2 - 2 1/2 methodone the first couple days. By day five I stopped all drugs - daily. I would use 10 mg methodone every other day to keep the "willies" at bay, and after a week to ten days I even stopped those. It's hard but possible.
    I have been totally drug free for 12 weeks now. I know I sped up the doctors orders but I had great desire to get my life back. I kicked >>>>>> 18 years ago and was very afraid I would lose all I have work for - family, cumminity, and self respect included. Fentenyl was a tool that allowed me to participate in life mostly pain free. Comming off the drug is a very difficult process the patient MUST be ready to participate in. I've read some tragic stories of those who have been unable to become free of the patch.
    God bless you all. . .there is hope, I've lived it.
    Les C.
    Jaianniah likes this.

les_ftc is offline New Member

Wink

Fentanly was a life saver for me at first. It allowed me to work, drive, function normally. I increased from 25mcg/hr patch to 50 mcg/hr patch rather quickly. After several months my primary pain condition improved (4 level disk degeneration) and my doctor told me he was going to start my detox process. Upon hearing the word "detox" I was concerned. I didn't feel like an addict. I used the patches EXACTLY as prescribed. I never felt "high" or "loaded." I used the patch to treat pain only - my life is full and complete, I have no need for chemical repreive. But I had been on the patch every day for months.
    After the doctor told me he was going to start to detox me, I went straight home and took the patch off. I was in full blown withdrawl the next day. Sweats, chills, pain, flopping on the couch like a fish out of water, vomitting. These symptoms lasted three days without subsiding. My wife wanted me to go to the hospital every minute of those three days, but I figured I had to be close to finished. After three days and I'm still vomitting I put a patch back on (50 mcg/hr) and my symptoms subsided about six hours later. I swore I'd never go cold-turkey again. I do not recommend it. It was hell on me and my family. Also very degrading. . .it's humiliating to be a successful, loving human being reduced to drug addition withdrawl. Very hard to get my head around. Junkies go through withdrawl under bridges, not good patients with jobs who follow their doctors orders!
    Later my doctor had me return to my 25mcg/hr patch and prescribed me methodone 10mg pills. I was to take a methodone pill 4 times daily for four days, then three for four days, the two for four days, etc. until I was not taking any methodone. Then I was to remove the fentanyl patch and start the methodone regimen over: 4X4, 3X4, 2X4, 1X4, 1/2X4. then quit.
    From day one I was determined to stop so I took my fentenyl patch off and only took the methodone pill when I felt nausea coming on. . .I figured I could live with the rest of the symptoms. I ended up taking about 2 - 2 1/2 methodone the first couple days. By day five I stopped all drugs - daily. I would use 10 mg methodone every other day to keep the "willies" at bay, and after a week to ten days I even stopped those. It's hard but possible.
    I have been totally drug free for 12 weeks now. I know I sped up the doctors orders but I had great desire to get my life back. I kicked >>>>>> 18 years ago and was very afraid I would lose all I have work for - family, cumminity, and self respect included. Fentenyl was a tool that allowed me to participate in life mostly pain free. Comming off the drug is a very difficult process the patient MUST be ready to participate in. I've read some tragic stories of those who have been unable to become free of the patch.
    God bless you all. . .there is hope, I've lived it.
    Les C.[/QUOTE]

christinab73 is offline New Member

Default hope for us all

i'm a 34 year old female who has been taking pain meds for a bad back which i have suffered from since a child. my general practicioner started me on opiates about six years ago. vicodin, percocet, demerol, dilaudid, you name it, i took it; but my pill abuse was out of control, so i asked about the duragesic patch (biggest mistake of my life). for the past 5 years or so, i was using 150 mcg and seeing a back doctor who kept me on them and gave me percocet for breakthrough pain. I thought the patch was the greatest thing since sliced bread; but after awhile, my tolerance to it made it no longer effective, but i was not going to ask for a larger dose. at the beginning of october, i went to see my back doc for trigger point injections and to get my scripts. well, he told me i no longer needed to be on the patches, and gave me a weeks worth of methadone to detox with (hah). that first month was pure hell. my husband stood by my side, doing everything possible to make me comfortable. we discussed the meth clinic, but decided that trading one drug for another was not the way to go and that i didn't want to be a slave to the meth clinic. Well, here it is, late november and I'm still alive to tell my story. I quit cold turkey. it was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life, but now i am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. You have to want to quit very bad, but it can be done. i'm lucky to have a wonderful husband who stood by me and cheered me on. to those of you who are going through this ordeal, i pray for you.

eternal is offline New Member

Default for fentanyl withdrawel

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust1959 View Post
    My Pain Management Doctor has me up to 50mg of Fentanyl (patch). I don't need it any longer, as my Spinal Fusion has healed and I am no longer in pain. He told to see him today and he would help me. But when I got there, he said he doesn't remember saying he would help me and that (I am on my own!!).
    I told him that I went from the 50 to the 25 like he told me too and within 6 hours, I was Trembling, Nausea's, the room was spinning and I felt so strange (my stomach & head) I thought I was going to have a seizure and had to go back to the 50's. He said too bad, that I would have to suffer with it like all his other patients.
    But I can't. I have severe Panic Disorder and am curently on 5mg+ of Xanax a day, and 450 Wellbutrin, and it [u]WILL</u> send me into a seizure.
    He still says too bad. In about a month I have to have an open abdominal surgery for severe Adhesions. I asked him (what about that?) And he said, there is nothing stronger than the Fentanyl and that I would be in [u]pretty severe pain </u>because no matter what they give me, [u]it WILL NOT work</u>!!
    [u]How long does it take to get off this stuff? I have only been on it for 5 months. And how long in the future can I take something and it actually work again??I am really getting scared.</u> Thank's,
    Stardust
    i hear ya! i am on fentanyl 100mcg and comming off methadone. i have three slipped disks sciatica and fibromayalgia(sp?) and i am very uncomfortable. the catapress patches work if you dont wear them all the time just right before your gonna go down. a trick i do since i know about sulinguals because i was on the fent. lollypops. is to put things under your tongue for instant sensation. so save your old patches sealed really good and the next day if your sick or in pain cut it in half on in three and suck on it. you will feel better if there is medicines still in it or you took it off after 48hrs. miss the lollypops but cant get it from this dr. i am really scared after reading some of these replys about getting off the fentanyl at the end of the summer.

BetterOffDead is offline New Member

I was on 100mcg patches every 48 hours at one point. I was able to taper on the patches down to 50mcg, then made a jump for a couple of weeks to hydros because the fentanyl was making me so sick. It obviously took a lot of hydros to make that level (my poor liver...), so my doc put me on methadone. I eventaully went to suboxone and tapered that down to nothing about 6 weeks ago.

If pain management isn't a problem, it is far easier to taper the suboxone. Detoxing off of sub is no picnic, but I missed a day on a fentanyl patch once and it was WAY worse than the suboxone. Maybe it would be a shorter duration, but I can't imagine how intense those withdrawals would be.

Jesgrate is offline New Member

Default Get off the Fentanyl Patch any way you can!

To "Better Off Dead" - you have no idea what that means! My daughter died from an accidental overdose of the Fentanyl patch in February. She had been prescribed the patch by her pain doctor for neuropathy of the feet. She started with 50 mcg and moved to 100 mcg every 48 hours along with many other drugs like Vicodin. It is a very dangerous and addictive drug and I have had several friends tell me of loved ones who have experienced overdoses and terrible withdrawals from it. Do whatever you can to get off of it slowly and be as strong as you can because it can kill you. I am so sorry for all of you that are "hooked" on it and the suffering you must experience to get off but you must do so. If your doctor does not help you with it, then threaten to report him to the medical board. He's the one that gave you the patch to begin with. The manufacturers have recalled it as you may already know (6 days after my daughter died) because of over 120 deaths. And no you are not better off dead, believe me.

From a very sad mother
    SirRheal likes this.

o_my_god is offline New Member

I heard the same ******************** from my pain Dr. too. Suboxone is the way to go it works well. Fentanyl Sucks; what was I thanking, if I new then what I know now , I would run like hell.

Stardust59 is offline New Member

I am thrilled to be off the Fentanyl Patch, However now time had gone by, I now take 4- 10mg Percocets a day and it's pretty tough on my stomach. Sometimes I wish I could just stop those too. But don't know how.
    Stardust

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust59 View Post
    I am thrilled to be off the Fentanyl Patch, However now time had gone by, I now take 4- 10mg Percocets a day and it's pretty tough on my stomach. Sometimes I wish I could just stop those too. But don't know how.
    Stardust

Only two ways to do it ... either cold turkey or ORT (opiate replacement therapy). This would be suboxone like is mentioned above. It works for lots of people who don't wish to go the cold turkey route. I usually suggest to just stop and pay the price for a week or so and be done with it. But if that is not feasible for whatever reason then there is absolutely nothing wrong with going the suboxone route. If you need some direction on what to do to get on suboxone then post accordingly. The main thing is to make the decision to stop the Percs. Like Fentanyl the Percs are no picnic to quit either. Good luck.

What if I break them in half for a week and then stop them?
    Stardust

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust59 View Post
    What if I break them in half for a week and then stop them?
    Stardust

You can break them in half. That is fine. But if I was going to do a taper I would do it a little more slowly than one week. Breaking them in half is fine, but the total you are taking needs to be reduced every few days until you eliminate them from your system. It's hard to say exactly how many to take or how fast to taper with no problems. See how you feel and take them accordingly. I was never successful tapering. I had to do it all or nothing, but it may work for you. Good luck.

Chaoticangel42 is offline New Member

Wink Goodluck to everyone quitting fentanyl!!

I can absolutely feel for everyone coming off Fentanyl. I too thought it was the answer when I first was prescribed the Fentanyl patch. As with everyone else, after a period of time it is ineffective and the dose must be increased. I was on high doses of fentanyl for 6 months. I decided to kick it cold turkey. I would NOT recommend this for everyone. It is extremely painful, uncomfortable for three to four days. I vomited and had diarrhea, was in fetal postion and could not even do the simplist task....like brush my teeth. I saw a posting that it will not kill you. This may be true for healthy people, but I can tell you from what I went through, I thought I was gonna die, then I was praying for death to get some relief. I think someone with prior health problems have a good chance of dying from withdrawals.
    I am 16 days fentanyl free and I still am having residual withdrawal symptoms that include....feeling of detachment, diarrhea and stomach cramps (off and on) , tiredness, cold and hot sweats, insomnia and just an odd all over body effect. I know that is not a great description but this is unlike anything I have experienced in the past and I have detoxed from Hydros and morphine in the past.
    If I can do ANYTHING to help anyone, please message me! I would not wish fentanyl withdrawals on my worst enemy.
    And anyone that has been off for several months or more, please give me an idea of how long these residual withdrawals will last. I have to go back to work on Monday and I am scared to death that I won't be able to make a 12 hour shift.
    Peace to everyone and by all means, use the Thomas cocktail if you are going cold turkey, most of these things will bring some relief, esp. the hot baths and the marjuaina. Goodluck and let me know how it's going!!
    Your friend and fellow detoxer, Chaoticangel42

not me is offline New Member

Default fetenal

suboxone is just tradeing 1 drug for another. i was on it and i hated it. gave me bad headaches. ask your dr about fetanal suckers. they come in a lower dose which may help wean u down

Quote Originally Posted by not me View Post
    suboxone is just tradeing 1 drug for another. i was on it and i hated it. gave me bad headaches. ask your dr about fetanal suckers. they come in a lower dose which may help wean u down

Suboxone is not trading one drug for another because you had a bad experience. Would be curious to know details. There is a reason why it didn't work for you. Opiate Replacement Therapy (buprenophine/methadone)has become the gold standard for treating opiate dependency. There is always a reason why things happen like they do.

Suboxone works great if it's used properly. Have to do it the right way though. LOTS of people on this forum have used it, are using it right now, and are doing very well while using it, during taper off and afterwards.

Fentynal detox totally sucks. Lots of people have a really tough time with it. Good luck to you. God bless.

whighilljoe is offline New Member

Unhappy Where to turn to now!!!!!

Just another storry from hell. I to was told that the Fentanyl Patch was the way to go.I suffer from sever cronic back pain. I have 3 ruptured disc, multiply bone spures and two herinated discs. I have had three lower back surgery's but to no avail. I am going to have a spine fussion in the up and coming couple months. I started out in 1995 on a number 50 patch within a couple of months I was on a 100. Since 2001 I have been on 300mg every 72 hours with 75mg of timed released morphine for break through pain. My life is a total mess. I was told the patches would get me away from taking pills every day. 5 rehabs a broken marriage a lost job and two atemps at ending it all I am still here. I am in a 12 step program which helps out but as you can see I am at about my ends wit. I just don't know were to turn next. Is there anybody out there that can help me???????????

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Three failed back surgeries and you're contemplating a fourth, how many failures will it take before you say NO MORE! Spinal surgery has like an 85% failure rate, and all the pain meds following makes people worse off (in the long run).
    I would say get six months off of all drugs then reassess your pain and surgery options. I know a few people who have a similar condition like Münchausen syndrome by proxy who actually do surgery after surgery just to benefit from narcotic pain medication. I'm not suggesting you do, it's just a thought.
    You might find after being off drugs you're much better able to function and find your pain levels manageable without drugs.

Default Fentanyl Withdrawal-Please help me!!!

Whighilljoe,
    Thanks for writing in. What happened in rehab that didn't help get you off the patches? I am not sure there is much I can offer, thats a pretty high dose. I was only on the 50's and refused any higher ones. But even after a few months I seemed to be in more pain and they didn't work anymore. I finally found a Doctor who told me to leave them on longer and longer with each patch change. I had one extra patch, so if the withdrawal got to where I could not handle it, I would put it on just until I could feel it BEGIN to work, then took it back off and put it back in the package and sealed it. I called it my rescue patch. And I noticed after the first 8-10 days, I could trick my body into thinking the patch was a new one and not change it for 5-6 days. I also realized if I could "feel" my so called rescue patch working, then the fentynal was leaving my body, so I used it less and less. It took a long time, but after awhile I finally asked for 12.5's and after 2 patches, I took it off with no problems at all.
    NEVER CUT THE PATCH OR PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH=EVER!! Can you ask for the Fentynal Lollipops and keep your script down to a minimum, so you know when your out your out and less willing to use them one right after the other? I also had severe pain and without the patch the pain was worse. However, once I finally got off it, it was as though the patch actually caused pain!?!? I don't know why. But my pain level dropped when the fentynal was gone for good. I've also had several spinal fusions and 8 knee surgeries, and 3 months ago had my first knee replacement, when asked to go on fentanyl I refused, I flat out asked for Percocet 10's because nothing else worked, not lortabs or norco, nothing. I took 4 a day then 5 a day then 6 a day, then got scared when I began to run out. So I put myself on a schedule and suffered till 5-6 hours passed before I took my next dose. Now I am down to 2 a day and looking at another knee surgery in 3 weeks and if it doesn't work, then another knee replacement. I find the best pain relief is excersize and walking.
    But back to you. Have you tried asking your doctor for the 200's and then the 100's, then to 50's, then the 12.5's? This might have to be done monthly. Don't rush it unless your being supervised. Methadone tablets can help alot with withdrawals. You may not know it now, I know I didn't at the time, but on Fentynal, I was mean, sleeping all the time, bad sweats, my body smelled of meds and my mind seemed clear and sharp and I would work great! But after I stopped it, the difference was like living in a heavy fog and then able to see and think very clearly without the extreme emotions. I never knew I was so foggy and acting weird. My guess, if I were you, I would try the lollipops (fentynal) and get only a few at a time to keep myself from taking to much. Also talk to your doctor about your upcoming surgery and how are they going to sedate you????? If you start lowering your dose now there would be a very good chance you won't have any problems with anesthesia. once your off the patches, REFUSE any advice to go back on them. When I refused them, I told my doctor I was afraid of needing higher and higher doses, and he agreed with no problem at all. Also, have you googled "Rapid Detox clinics"? Alot of people swear by them and they can get you off the fentynal in days instead of months.
    Sorry I can't be of more help
    Stardust

Beetlescott is offline New Member

Default Please help me!!!

Hello everyone. I have a unique problem that I am desperate to find help. I am a 52 year old man who is just coming off the fentany patch, 75 mg every 48 hrs. I started about 14 months ago with 25, then quickly to 50 and last June up to 75. I refused to go further. Now, this is where my story seems to differ. I changed Pain Mgt doctors 2 months ago because the current one does not offer the "pain pump". I had the pump implanted 10 days ago, and my doc took my patch off and said I would no longer need it. I asked about symptoms and he said the small amount of morphine would keep me from having withdrawals. LIAR!!! About 3 days after the patch was removed, I started having some of the same symptoms that many of you report here, horrible gnawing in my gut, I am a grown man and not prone to crying, I have not stopped for the last 5 days. I feel like I am going to die. I am currently 8 days without any Fentanyl, I went to see my shrink this morning, I have seen her since dealing with the pain, I was so ashamed, I sat there and wept like a child! I have put in another call to my doctor, waiting for him to call back. I spent yesterday begging God to let me just die. I have a very supportive and loving wife, she is my soulmate, it is making her so sad to see what I am going through. I didn't even think about withdrawls until yesterday. I thought something was going wrong with the pump. I was on 75 mg of fent and 6 10/325 of oxycodones per day, and this pump is AMAZING! (so far, I am not very trusting). PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW LONG THIS HORROR WILL LAST? Am I through the worst? Thank you to everyone for all your letters!

Scott

Scott .... I almost missed your post being on this old thread. I hate fentanyl. I try to talk anyone I know who talks about going on it to not do it. It has a bunch of side effects and when people try to get off it they all feel just like you've described. I never used a patch, couldn't do it due my own health conditions. But it sucks coming off fentanyl buddy.

Don't feel so down on yourself for hurting like you do. I remember one Christmas day I lay in bed with my RA, I was in the midst of a BAD five month long Raynauds' flare-up, it was just before I had both knees operated on, I was in pain and I lay there eating oatmeal my mom was feeding me while I was crying in pain. My hands hurt so bad I couldn't hold the spoon to eat my oatmeal. Had been like that for the last three months. I held a cocked 9mm to my head. Believe me that was a freak out. I couldn't do it, I wanted to get better. And I did, you will too. Hang in there.

So what dose of morphine is in the pain pump? Sounds like they are obviously NOT giving you the correct dose. I would insist the dr see you immediately and adjust the dose. You can't be sitting around begging God to let you die. That's nonsense. Your dr can't leave you in pain like you are. Keep us posted and I will keep you in my prayers. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Scott .... I almost missed your post being on this old thread. I hate fentanyl. I try to talk anyone I know who talks about going on it to not do it. It has a bunch of side effects and when people try to get off it they all feel just like you've described. I never used a patch, couldn't do it due my own health conditions. But it sucks coming off fentanyl buddy.

Don't feel so down on yourself for hurting like you do. I remember one Christmas day I lay in bed with my RA, I was in the midst of a BAD five month long Raynauds' flare-up, it was just before I had both knees operated on, I was in pain and I lay there eating oatmeal my mom was feeding me while I was crying in pain. My hands hurt so bad I couldn't hold the spoon to eat my oatmeal. Had been like that for the last three months. I held a cocked 9mm to my head. Believe me that was a freak out. I couldn't do it, I wanted to get better. And I did, you will too. Hang in there.

So what dose of morphine is in the pain pump? Sounds like they are obviously NOT giving you the correct dose. I would insist the dr see you immediately and adjust the dose. You can't be sitting around begging God to let you die. That's nonsense. Your dr can't leave you in pain like you are. Keep us posted and I will keep you in my prayers. God bless.
    Robert, thanks so much for the answer, it means alot to know someone is out there, you are an answer to a prayer! My whole family all over the country held special prayer for me. The doc's nurse FINALLY called back after hours. She told me to put the patch back on until I get there next Tues for my staple removal. When I put it on, I was better in 30 minutes. I know this is temporary, and I will have to start over, but I feel like a new man. The doctor is going to give me a fentanyl weening package tues. I am like you. I will NEVER go back on it. Thanks for the kind words!!! Good luck to you! By the way, the morphine in the pump is working wonderfully on my pain, but it only goes to my spinal column, it stays in the sac that holds the fluid, it doesn't help anything except the spine. Thanks again!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post

Thanks so much! again the doc has increased my pain pump doasage by 13%. It is definately not enough. He has given me some smaller Fentanly patches to wean me off over the next few weeks. He has also prescribed Clonazepam to help with the weaning pains. I am feeling much better and I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I pray for anyone who has ever been manipulated to go on Fentanyl. I wouldn't give this drug to my worst enemy. Thanks for everyones thoughts and prayers!!!

Scott

helpmepleeze730 is offline New Member

Unhappy

Hi everyone, my name is Jill, and I have had 2 back surgeries due to back diseases. The first one was on my neck, and I can't say whether or not it worked, because I had a second lumbar surgery 2 months later (still on pain meds)and still have pain. I was pregnant and did not know it during second surgery, and my back never healed. I still have ruptured disks but refuse to have anymore surgery.
    My doctor put me on fentanyl without even teling me anything about it (the first time) then just took me off, and discharged me as his patient. He said he would be there for me, and just left me high and dry when he found out I was pregnant. I found a sympathetic doctor that put me on 100mcg's every 72 hours. while I was pregnant, he put me on something else (cant remember what) I was told by my old doctor to have an >>>>>>>> but did not. My OBGYN told me things would be OK, and thank you to God they were, and my son is 5 now, but it was a VERY hard pregnancy with 62 staples fresh on my back. Becase my back never healed and I was in excrutiating pain, he put me back on the patch (never did stop going thrugh withdrawals when taken off them)
    I have been on the duragesic patch for 4 years now, with tons of back pain, and because I did not know better, have increased my dose to 200 mcg's every 72 hours, but now, I am on one 100 mcg patch every day. I DO NOT WANT to be on them anymore. I HATE them. I decided to stop taking them on my own because I had never even taken an aspirin for a headache before this surgery. I take NOTHING else, just the patch every day(not that those are nothing). I have severe anxiety, and am prescribed xanax, but as long as I know I have it, I do not have to take it.
    I am scared to death because of what everyone is saying about the withdrawals, and I KNOW first hand what they are like, but never got passed the third day. I have a young child to take care of, and because I know what the withdrawals are like, sweating uncontrollable sneezing (weird), tears watering, restless leg syndrome, the sweating and sneezing is the worst for me, and I do not think I need to tell any of you about the severe pain. My back hurts so bad it feels like it is hanging on by a thread and my spine is about to seperate from my hips, PLUS all my joints are swollen all the time, and I am almost positive I have either rhematoid arthritis, or Fibromyalgia. I can barely walk, but the rollercoaster ride on this drug is way worse to me. Because they no longer work, I think it is my fault because I have also a digestive problem, and used a heating pad on my stomach (not to mention my polycystic ovarian dis. and endometreosis) which I think heated up the patch and made it work stronger??? I wear them underneath my breast area because that seems to be the only place they will stay on. Anyway, I am so so scared. I have claustrophobia, and in a way, being addicted to these patches makes me feel claustrophobic, and I start to freak out because of it. I don't want to die because of being on this medicine. I would just stay on them, but it is not feasable to me, I know the doctor even though we are friends will one day move, or not want to give them to me anymore, PLUS I feel like it is shortening my life. All I do is sit on my couch all day long because I am in severe pain. Once in a while I will go somewhere, but I go weeks not dong anything and not moving. Please help me, what do I do. I feel like I need to be put in the hospital to get off this medication, I just can't do it on my own. I also need to mention I have had bulemia for 15 years. I am afraid I am going to have a heart attack while going through withdrawals. I know you all are very caring people because I have read all your posts too afraid to post my own story. I hear so many people complaining about being addicted to a few pills, but I really do not think they are as frightening as fentanyl (not saying they are not in pain) just saying fentanyl is much much stronger and scarier to me. I was in the wrong discussion rooms I guess because no one ever said anythng about fentanyl until I stumbled upon this place.
    I am so depressed I have been throwing up at least 7 times a day. I also want to add, that I do not throw up because I am afraid I am going to gain weight (that used to be the reason 5-7 years ago) but now, my stomach literally will not digest food, and my food gets stuck in my throat due to scarring. I have to get my throat stretched once every 6mos. to a year.
    I don't know, I am just afraid with all my other problems I will not be able to do a regular detox. What do you all think, is there a way to be put into the hospital to get off these so you can be watched so you don't die? I know with my young son (and two older kids) I can't handle the withdrawals and take care of them too, and my lovig husband works 10 hours a day. He is very supportive, but is also an enabler because he hates to see me suffer. Like I said, I throw up, and he never stopped me before. I just told him I could not keep my food down because it hurt, and eventually it ended up being true. But he was easily manipulated. Now I wish he would have stopped me or got me help because I can't eat anything. I am not blaming him at all bless his heart he helps in any way he can.
    Please I know you are all struggling too and I pray for you all, could you find it in your hearts to help me too? I am so scared, and so alone. I don't want to die, be in pain, be addicted, or be a burden to anyone anymore. Any insight is welcomed. I guess in a nutshell, is there anywhere I can go to be monitored, without having to pay 7 thousand dollars like the rapid detox (not covered by insurance yet) I have insurance though. Or what is the best way to get off these, and how long will the withdrawals last?
    I pray for you all,
    love and well wishes,
    Jill
    Last edited by helpmepleeze730; 07-30-2009 at 03:51 AM.

Default helpmepleeze730

Hi Jill. Sounds like you've got yourself in a mess girl. I hate fentanyl. It's a terribly strong medication and SOOO hard to detox off. I don't personally think it should even be used except for terminal patients. That's just me. I've seen so many people try to get off the patches and it's a bear! I can help you like I have other fentanyl patients but I need more information.

You talk quite a bit about the chronic physical problems that are causing you so much pain. If I can help you get off the RX opiates entirely what is your plan for handling your existing pain? Or do you have any plans? If you don't that is okay we can deal with it later. I just want to know where your head is at on the pain issue. We need to determine that before you getting into a plan that you really don't want to participate in. The plan I will share with you will work but you will have to deal with some pain until we get you through the initial detox off the RX opiates.

I too have degenerative disc disease, Rheum Arthritis, Raynauds Phenomenon, five knee ops, all kinds of pain problems. I was taking thirty 30mg oxy a day plus 30 lorcets on top of that when I got clean. I didn't think I could ever make it without RX pain meds. But what happens to lots of us is that when we get off the RX opiates we actually have less pain. Our addiction is very painful in itself and once that is gone we are able to see how bad our pain is without it being adversely affected by our opiate addiction. Our brain makes us think we are in worse pain than we really are while we are addicted.

I also need to know if you have any existing cardiovascular or pulmonary problems. You're mixing serious meds/conditions including fentanyl and xanax (any other?) and you have bulimia, possibly multiple autoimmune problems, please tell me anything else going on. I will not give advice to anyone if I think that I might be causing them harm. I have to know what all is going on in a case like this. I refuse to hurt you while trying to help you.

You're at a point where you've got two legitmate choices. There are lots of choices but only two are reasonable. First choice is to forget trying to get clean, accept that you're ALWAYS FOR LIFE going to be on RX narcotics and plan to live accordingly. Second choice is to get clean, THEN determine with your dr if you need to continue with narcotic medication or if you can do some things differently to handle your pain since it will be lessened once you get clean. The second choice would be what I suggest as it would be best for your health, it could also add years to your life and lots of quality to your existing life.

It's not going to be a "walk in the park" but if you are willing to be naive enough to do as I ask then I will commit to helping you. But with your history I need a 100% commitment from you. I can't possibly be successful unless you're committed 100%. It won't be easy even then.

We can do this together using suboxone. I don't care what anyone tells you about suboxone working for you or not. I GUARANTEE that we can do this together if you'll be naive enough to follow my suggestions. You've got to decide though if you're willing to stop the pain meds long enough for this to work. Realistically you're talking a good three months maybe even four to do this. I won't abandon you I promise if you stick it out and follow my instructions. It's your call.

I'll wait to hear back. In the meantime read the following link closely about how I suggest using suboxone/subutex therapy. I would really like to help you if you're willing. This could literally save your life and totally turn around your family's lives as well. I'll include you in my prayers. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

helpmepleeze730 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    Three failed back surgeries and you're contemplating a fourth, how many failures will it take before you say NO MORE! Spinal surgery has like an 85% failure rate, and all the pain meds following makes people worse off (in the long run).
    I would say get six months off of all drugs then reassess your pain and surgery options. I know a few people who have a similar condition like Münchausen syndrome by proxy who actually do surgery after surgery just to benefit from narcotic pain medication. I'm not suggesting you do, it's just a thought.
    You might find after being off drugs you're much better able to function and find your pain levels manageable without drugs.
    I would have to agree here, after only 2 surgeries, (that failed) I do not think I would EVER opt for a third, it's just too damn risky, not to mention the fact that the doctors just write you off when they find out that the surgery has failed, and treat you as though you are lying. My doctor said "everything looks good, it's just not fully fused yet" Is he INSANE???? I can barely walk, much less do anything else, and I am only 38 years old, actually was only 33 when I had the actual surgeries. Before the surgery, even though I had 7 ruptured disks, I still managed to jog every day. Now after the surgery, I can't even walk.
    Also, I am almost positive that this fentanyl is making my pain worse, by lowering my tolerance to pain??? I am wondering how I would be able to deal with the pain after having been off this medication for a year. If anyone else knows about this, please let me know. I am wondering how much pain I will be in when I try getting off this drug.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast