Fentanyl Transdermal Patch (skin burn)

Question Fentanyl Transdermal Patch (skin burn)

I have been using this patch for 6 months. As of a couple, three weeks now I have been getting bad skin burn from the patch. I keep moving locations on the arms. When I go to what appears to be ok skin it burns right away now. I am having a problem hanging in for the three days. I just want to rip the patch off. But will put up with that vs. being bed ridden with my back pain. I did try on my chest and it burned right away. Anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks,
    Don

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rookie205@chilitech.net View Post
    I have been using this patch for 6 months. As of a couple, three weeks now I have been getting bad skin burn from the patch. I keep moving locations on the arms. When I go to what appears to be ok skin it burns right away now. I am having a problem hanging in for the three days. I just want to rip the patch off. But will put up with that vs. being bed ridden with my back pain. I did try on my chest and it burned right away. Anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks,
    Don
    Yes.... I was never on Fentyl but I was on Catapress patch for about 8 months when the same happen to me. As it turns out I developed an allergy to the adhesive that they use. I had to switch to by mouth form. The "burn" you discribe got to the point I couldnt tolerate it. The constant itching and then if I ignored it, it turn into cracked skin and a actual skin wound. You should tell you MD, there are many other pain meds you can be treated with. Sorry about your pain, Btw.

Sister..

Wink Thanks

Thank you for getting back to me. I was just putting off talking to the Dr. He's a great guy and a real God send. I had to travel 60 miles to find him. I could not get a local Dr. to help. After the surgery I was told I'll never work again and get used to the pain. 53 years old sitting around and crying. God! My new guy gave me Morphine for a yr. and a half and then switched me to the Fentanyl. I hate to bug him and press my luck. But I see I have no other choice. And of course I hate changing meds because of the withdrawal. Coming off the Morphine was not pretty. BUT. As they say. ( whoever "they" are) You do what you gotta do. Thanks again.
    Don

festivelady826 is offline New Member

I have Stage IV leiomyosarcoma, a rare cancer for which there is no treatment except tumor resection and radiation. My original oncologist prescribed OxyContin, which I took for 3 years. As my cancer progressed, I changed doctors and have been using the Fentanyl patch for about 18 months. I started having the same problem about 4 months ago. I actually have 3rd degree burns all across my lower back, which is the only place I could get the patches to stay on. Since all my skin is burned, the patches are excruciatingly painful and I cannot keep them on even with tape. I was using the gel patch made by Actavis/Corium. Two months ago my regular pharmacy was out of the patches and I went to another drugstore to get my prescription filled. This pharmacy does not use the gel patch, but rather a non-gel (and much smaller) patch made by Mylan. The Mylan patch stays on easily and does not burn my skin. I am SO glad that I found these new ones! After doing some research, I learned that it was the gel that was burning my skin and there are several lawsuits against the manufacturers of the gel patches. I see that the original post was in July 2008, so hopefully you have discovered the same thing that I did. I wish that I would have Googled this problem when it first occurred because I have scars that will never go away.

Arrow Gel patches

Quote Originally Posted by festivelady826 View Post
    I have Stage IV leiomyosarcoma, a rare cancer for which there is no treatment except tumor resection and radiation. My original oncologist prescribed OxyContin, which I took for 3 years. As my cancer progressed, I changed doctors and have been using the Fentanyl patch for about 18 months. I started having the same problem about 4 months ago. I actually have 3rd degree burns all across my lower back, which is the only place I could get the patches to stay on. Since all my skin is burned, the patches are excruciatingly painful and I cannot keep them on even with tape. I was using the gel patch made by Actavis/Corium. Two months ago my regular pharmacy was out of the patches and I went to another drugstore to get my prescription filled. This pharmacy does not use the gel patch, but rather a non-gel (and much smaller) patch made by Mylan. The Mylan patch stays on easily and does not burn my skin. I am SO glad that I found these new ones! After doing some research, I learned that it was the gel that was burning my skin and there are several lawsuits against the manufacturers of the gel patches. I see that the original post was in July 2008, so hopefully you have discovered the same thing that I did. I wish that I would have Googled this problem when it first occurred because I have scars that will never go away.
    Thank you so much for your information. I have been switched to Kadian, then back to Oxycontin. Last week my insurance decided I needed Morphine 12 hr. what ever they are. (cheaper) I will look into the Mylan today. I tried talking with a guy from the patch people and , well, I hope he gets a job he likes, because he must hate the one he has. HA! His answer was "well just don't use it". I would have called back and spoke to his boss but I just don't like people much anymore. Last month they put one of those 48 hr. tracker deals on me for my heart. Those patches were the worst. I still have burn marks. The itching finally stopped. I'd get to scratching so bad I'm sure I looked like a beagle getting it's belly rubbed. I was only able to leave the heart thingy on for 18 hours. Needless to say the test was a wash so now I think he'll send me to a heart guy (more money I don't have). Thanks again for taking the time to let me know about Mylan. Best to you. Don Lynch, Pennsylvania