Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zippysgoddess
Fentanyl Patches
    JahRed is offline New Member

Default Fentanyl Patches

How long does it take to feel the effects after placing a fentanyl patch on??? can u tell me any other info on these things? i got 3 of them 7.5mg each. What happens if i eat a TINY lil piece of the gel inside? will it make me feel good or bad? ha

cluelessNJ is offline Senior Member

You should call him. You guys would be great friends!

Not so clueless,

CLEAN DATE 1/23/06

pharmd06 is offline Member

fentanyl concentrations increase gradually following initial patch application, generally leveling off between 12 and 24 hours. because of the slow absorption, maximal pain relief may take up to 24 hr. these patches are not intended for short term pain.

effects in 5 to 15 minutes if taken orally. once the patch is cut it should be discarded. do not cut and eat the patch, it is potentially toxic. do not apply a cut patch.

-"someone smart"

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Well my mother-in-law is a nurse, in charge of three different departments at the hospital she works at, and when I tried these for my chronic pain, she was telling us about how many OD DEATHS they have had from them.

Many people chew the patches to suck out all the drug at once, or they cut them open to get the stuff out and shoot it up. These are very, very strong. 80times stronger than morphine and just one patch can potentially cause a FATAL overdose. Anyone who plays with these things like that is stupid and asking for trouble.

You would not be able to cut out a piece of the stuff to eat, it is a liquid gel inside the patch. An oozy type stuff about the consistency of a thick hand lotion.

On top of the possibilities of overdose, you are also ingesting stuff that is not meant to be absorbed and used by your body, the binders and fillers that are in them that are just meant to be thrown away when the useful life of the patch is done. This also happens when people crush pills to inject them or snort them, shoot them up or chew them up to defeat a time release coating or mechanism.

Normally the binders and fillers are just expelled in your body waste, but by doing this, you are forcing it into your body where it can cause damage and blockages.

I was just watching one of the Ask Dr. Baden expisodes on HBO the other night and he showed x-rays and explained how a person suffocated because they were doing this. The binders and fillers, when they snorted pills, slowly blocked the cells in their lungs, so they could no longer absorb oxygen, after repeatedly doing this for awhile, their body couldn't get enough oxygen to survive. At first, the original investigating authorities thought it was a regular suicide or OD death. But it was neither and very, very sad and tragic. If the man had used common sense, he would still be alive.

If you read the information on many of these time release drugs you will see a little warning on there, for instance on the pills it says you might see the pill in your stool, because it is expelled once the medication has been used by your body, and on the patches they tell you that there will still seem to be a gel substance left in the patch, because it is just the suspension chemicals that hold the drugs atoms a certain way so you get a steady controlled dose.

So if you want to abuse it, no one can stop you, but don't forget, you are playing Russian Roulette with your life!

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~
    quadm1 likes this.

dizzy23 is offline Senior Member

Zippy is oh so right,Please be careful with this drug...it can be dangerous....Please read these:

http://www.capretz.com/sub/index.jsp...ZNjZQj99cWgaAY

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/fentanyl.htm

Debbie

Try to be correct!But not always successful!

My MIL said, on average, they see at least 3 ODs a week from these, some people have taken to sucking on them in their lower lip just like they would a rub of snuff.

JT is correct, these are more prone to make you sick than make you high, they are very strong, and when they are used by someone who hasn't already built a tolerance up to narcotics, well you end up in the bathroom puking your guts up!

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Meliss is offline New Member

I have an incredible tolerance to opioids and am scared to death of these 50mcg Fentanyl patches I've been given. 25 doesn't work, now 50 doesn't and I am scared as I can be. After about 25 hours of putting one on, I decided to try putting on another, in case I understand the whole half life thing right...but I'm not sure I do. All I understand is that my pain never goes away. I went from 240 5mg Percocets a month to this + 120 Percocets a month, and still, I can't take less than 4 percocets at a time to kill my pain, even WITH these patches. Someone please advise! Help!

Meliss, these patches SHOULD NOT be used more often than every 48hours, though you can use more than one at a time, if your tolerance is high and one isn't relieving your pain.

For the best results though, you really need to talk to your doctor about the extremely high tolerance you have and what meds will best help you.

ScorpF4 is offline Member

[ deleted ]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Crazy4tanning is offline New Member

okay......

circa9870 is offline Junior Member

First of all, DO NOT EAT THE PATCH. There is a lot of medication in those patches, specifically the dose you have there, they are almost the strongest ones they make. It is meant to be enough to to give a person with A VERY LARGE tolerance a lot of pain relief for 3 days. Just a small portion of that gel can potentially be fatal if ingested and there is no way you can tell how much is in each bit of gel you have. So just dont do it, fentanyl (the drug in the patches) is a very dangerous substance because of how potent it is and therefore how difficult it is to measure the doses. Do not try to abuse these patches; the consequences may be quite severe.

TO Zippysgoddess you are sure what you said is correct, I am almost positive that all things that are snorted simply get stuck to the walls of the throat, mouth and sinus. Nothing that someone snorts makes it to a person's lungs (again, I am not 100% on this, but I am 95% sure). If someone did have some go into their lungs, they would begin coughing furiously and cough most of it out. Objects as large as the powder and binders and fillers of pills that people snort would be very harsh if they made it into the lungs and would make a person cough VERY VERY hard until they got them out. I think that what you heard the doctor talking about is when a person shoots up a pill that shouldnt be shot up and that causes them to have a pulmonary edema, which is when the lungs fill up with fluid. This certainly can and does happen when people shoot up certain pills. Also the fillers and the binders can cause other problems in the lungs when they accumulate there after being injected and that can eventually kill a person (I think this is what you heard the doctor talk about). I also did a quick internet search and found that there is an episode in which Dr. Baden talks about a women injecting her husband with a variety of pills that have been mixed into a solution and the fillers and binders cause very bad lung damage which kills him, or at least does a lot of damage to his lungs. This may be what you are referring to because I could find no reference to Dr. Baden saying anything about someone snorting pills and it causing lung damage. I also have never seen anything else saying that snorting substances will cause lung damage. However you are right in saying that the fillers and binders are harmful if injected and they also damage the nose and sinus if they are snorted.

I am just wondering if that is what you heard because I am almost 100% positive that nothing reaches the lungs when people snort drugs (crushed pills or otherwise). I hope that you respond. To the thread-starter, again, DONT ABUSE THOSE PATCHES OR YOU MIGHT END UP DEAD.

I hope that everyone is having a pain-free day,
    Circa
    Last edited by circa9870; 09-23-2007 at 01:39 AM.

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default Patches

[ deleted ]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.

K3rm1t is offline New Member

Default 7.5 mcg Fentanyl patches

[ deleted ]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-28-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Addicts will do anything trying to get high. How would it make you feel if your suggestion was the cause of another person dying? Would that bother you at all? Patches are made to be applied to the skin, not snorted, eaten, licked, done in an enema or any other ridiculous way. Please don't tell people ways to abuse drugs here possibly killing someone. Anyone who listens to this advice is crazy. Pi$$es me off people saying stupid garbage like this. And if my post makes you mad then leave. We don't need advice like this on the forum.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 02-06-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

greatbritin is offline New Member

[ deleted ]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.

mitchigan is offline Member

Default Snorting

Yes, you are correct, when you "snort" a drug it is absorbed by the mucus membranes, not the lungs.

mitchigan is offline Member

Default Idiot

Oh and greatbritin, thanks for sharing that info with us but I don't really think we want that type of post on this forum.

Default re: Fentanyl patches

Keep in mind that fentanyl is a very powerful drug that can affect your ability to drive safely.

kaners is offline New Member

Are you seriously contemplating eating the gel within the patch? These patches do not give a "buzz", if that is what you are looking for. They are strictly for pain relief. Eating them could kill you, and you wouldn't even know it. Please be responsible and only take your meds as prescribed. I just lost my brother and it is devastating for those of us he left behind. One of the saddest things is that there is no way to turn back time to do things differently, and we are left with so many questions. He didn't overdose. He was murdered trying to buy a Suboxene for $40. The docs that prescribe this drug are outrageously overpriced so that ANYONE who wanted to get clean couldn't afford it. How sad it is to find drugs from the streets and not having a doctor oversee your care. Please be careful.

tinlizzie is offline New Member

Default I use 100 Fentanyl patch, have for years

I am astonished to read statements that fentanyl gives some people 'the best high they ever had'. Also, it is creepy to read the lengths someone will go to to get a fentanyl high: boiling and drying and baking and crushing. . . gross.

I use fentanyl for chronic pain because I am on Coumadin and cannot take most analgesics for pain because of the Coumadin so my doctor put me on fentanyl patches. We started with 25, I felt nothing, then 50 and settled on 100 and I have been on 100 for about two years.

I have never experienced anything remotely like a high. I am aware of a very subtle sedation-like feeling. I have always struggled with insomnia and now, on the fentanyl, I sleep soundly, really for the first time. If the very subtle, very mellow sedative feeling i get from this medicaiton is a 'high', I totally don't understand getting high.

I guess I am a good patient for this medication. I guess I don't have an addiction personality.

DVogel is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Addicts will do anything trying to get high. How would it make you feel if your suggestion was the cause of another person dying? Would that bother you at all? Patches are made to be applied to the skin, not snorted, eaten, licked, done in an enema or any other ridiculous way. Please don't tell people ways to abuse drugs here possibly killing someone. Anyone who listens to this advice is crazy. Pi$$es me off people saying stupid garbage like this. And if my post makes you mad then leave. We don't need advice like this on the forum.
    I am new on here but wanted to come on and see what my son in law went through 1-18-2010 when he shoot up fentanyl, he died!!!! who stupid can that person be to spell out how to properly use such a drug or any drug for that matter, I cannot understand why someone is so desperate for a high that they will do anything to get it and he wasn't new to shooting up drug's he did it all but one time with fentanyl killed him, I hope the person that give it to him has that Image burned into his drugged out bairn for the rest of his life.

superkidsnurse is offline New Member

Talking EQUIVELANCY/EQUINALGESIC: fentanyl/morphine

I have done a little bit of research regarding the patches. I had a bad reaction to lidocaine during child birth and have Cauda Equina Syndrome and have extreme pain in my back and legs. My doctor is a physiatrist and is trying to manage my pain. We are currently trying to get a correct dose to relieve my pain so that I can function.
    In looking up a lot of information regarding opiate equivelancies, it appears that theDuragesic/Fentanyl 50mcg patch is equivelant to 200mg of morphine (approximately). It is, however, metabolized a bit differently and this is why there are so many deaths associated with it. People assume it is a small amount when they abuse it, not understanding the amount of medication they are using/taking.
    The 50mcg duragesic patch=200mg of morphine (approximately) and thus if you are using a higher dose you are drastically increasing your risk of death.
    It is completely different than oxycontin or morphine. It really does not give any beautiful "high" like you might get from cocaine, >>>>>>e, morphine etc.
    Skip this drug if you are looking for a high. It really isnt worth the time.
    Last edited by superkidsnurse; 04-02-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: wording

Ian Somerhalder is offline New Member

Hello,
    Fentanyl Patches is a strong prescription pain medication for moderate to severe chronic pain which can provide long-lasting relief from persistent pain. It delivers the medication into the body slowly through the skin, where it works to relieve pain for up to three days.

Thanks
    Ian Somerhalder

Ferndok is offline New Member

Default Reply to Meliss

Meliss,

You never stated what your injuries or health problems were that were causing you the problems. To take that kind of medications for no reason is suicide. If you let me know what your problem is, I believe I can help. I am a "chronic intractable pain patient", and have used every combination of multiple legal Opiates, Muscle Relaxers, NSAIDs, Sleeping Medications, Anti-Inflammatories, Steroids, and many others. I have now found the best combination for my pain, with minimal sedation throughout the day, and I can do what I need to do, including play with my children and help my wife out. As where before, I was laid up, screaming and crying in pain, and could do absolutely nothing but lay down. I honestly thought I was going to be disabled the rest of my life. Now I'm doing wonderful thanks to the medications I use. So, what exactly is wrong with you, and what are you currently taking? And what have you taken in the past that has NOT worked, and what have you taken that did work? Stay strong and God bless - Ferndok

Quote Originally Posted by Ferndok View Post
    Meliss,

You never stated what your injuries or health problems were that were causing you the problems. To take that kind of medications for no reason is suicide. If you let me know what your problem is, I believe I can help. I am a "chronic intractable pain patient", and have used every combination of multiple legal Opiates, Muscle Relaxers, NSAIDs, Sleeping Medications, Anti-Inflammatories, Steroids, and many others. I have now found the best combination for my pain, with minimal sedation throughout the day, and I can do what I need to do, including play with my children and help my wife out. As where before, I was laid up, screaming and crying in pain, and could do absolutely nothing but lay down. I honestly thought I was going to be disabled the rest of my life. Now I'm doing wonderful thanks to the medications I use. So, what exactly is wrong with you, and what are you currently taking? And what have you taken in the past that has NOT worked, and what have you taken that did work? Stay strong and God bless - Ferndok

If you look at the date of that post the person only posted twice five years ago. I doubt they'll see your post as they haven't been back since. It's from 2006!
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

casual is offline Member

Default opiate strength chart

Analgesic/opioid Strength1 (morphine) Equivalent dose (10 mg morphine) Strength (codeine) Equivalent dose (30 mg codeine)
    Aspirin (non-opioid) 1/360 nil 1/36 1080 mg
    Diflunisal (NSAID, non-opioid) 1/160 1600 mg 1/16 480 mg
    Dextropropoxyphene[1] 1/40 400 mg 1/4 120 mg
    Codeine 1/10 100 mg (1) (30 mg)
    Tramadol 1/10 100 mg 1 30 mg
    Anileridine[2] 1/4 40 mg 2.5 12 mg
    Pethidine 0.36 27.8 mg 3.6 8.3 mg
    Methadone[3] 1/2 20 mg 5 6 mg
    Hydrocodone 0.6 16.67 mg 6 5 mg
    Morphine (oral) (1) (10 mg) 10 3 mg
    Oxycodone 1.5–2 4.5–6 mg 15–20 1.5–2 mg
    Morphine (IV/IM) 4 2.5 mg 40 0.75 mg
    Diacetylmorphine (>>>>>>; IV/IM)[4] 4.3 2.25 mg 43 0.7 mg
    Hydromorphone[5] 5 2 mg 50 0.6 mg
    Oxymorphone 7 1.4 mg 70 0.4 mg
    Levorphanol[6] 8 0.8 mg 80 0.26 mg
    Buprenorphine[7] 40 0.25 mg 400 0.075 mg
    Fentanyl 50–100 0.1–0.2 mg 500–1000 0.03–0.06 mg
    Sufentanyl 500–1,000 10–20 μg 5000–10,000 3–6 μg
    Etorphine2 1,000–3,000 10 μg 10,000–30,000 1–3 μg
    Carfentanil2 10,000–100,000 0.1–1 μg 100,000–1,000,000 30–300 ng
    Last edited by casual; 07-20-2011 at 09:40 PM.

mindcandy4u is offline New Member

Personally I never heard of 7.5 mg fentanyl patches, but whatever. I was on 100mg patches, I find if you truly use them for real pain and as instructed, sticking them on for the required 72hrs. versus eating them you don't really notice a high but rather notice absence of pain. Everyone is different though. I had a high tolerance and was additionally taking 4mg of dilaudid several times a day, and that DID make me feel high. I know of addicts eating the patches, but don't recommend it myself. I don't know your past experience with pain meds,
    and you just might end up overdosing, so I say stick to the way it was prescribed. By the way did u make a mistake and put the period between the 7 and the 5 and meant to write 75mgs? The lowest dose I am familiar with is 10mg. Hope this helps.

mindcandy4u is offline New Member

Really was that NECESSARY!!! What are you gonna post next a step by step guide to making crystal meth?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-28-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mindcandy4u View Post
    Really was that NECESSARY!!! What are you gonna post next a step by step guide to making crystal meth?

That post was over two years old. They only posted once. Blow it off and don't let it get to you. People like that come and go all the time. Just ignore it. When you quote their post you are just bringing it right back up to top again. Leave garbage like that alone. God bless.