Expired cleocin- Is it safe to take?
    denman is offline New Member

Exclamation Expired cleocin- Is it safe to take?

Hi. Iam new here at this forum. I was looking for answers in web searches but had no luck.
    Bottom line, I believe I have Bronchitis. I get it every year, like clockwork when the weather begins to change. I have a fever, 103+ temp today, and the usual symptoms of it. BUT, I can't afford to go to the doctor untill I get paid NEXT Monday. No insurance, gotta pay cash only. BUt, That's a week from now. I once let this go and it turned into pnuemonia (sp?) and I spent 3 nights in the hospital. It was terrible.

So I have some old cleocin (clindamycin) from last year or perhaps 2 years ago, it expired in december 2007. I am wondering if it is generally safe to still take it. Would it be poisonous, or will it simply not be as effective from time decay? If anyone knows, I would seriously appreciate it. Even if you have anything to add, it would be great. I just want to make sure it does not turn into poison or something after time, or if it just gets less effective like most other meds. I have taken amoxicillin that was 3 years old and had no problems, still worked, but I am not sure about the cleocin.

Thanks in advance,

Den

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default denman

Hope you get that fever under control soon. 103 is nothing to mess around with. I also have a bottle of amoxicillin just like you in my cabinet and have used it well beyond the expiration date with no problems. I think lots of meds are good past the date on the packaging.

It's a great marketing tool, kind of like people who listen to the old label on shampoo bottles ... it says, " ... lather, rinse, repeat. " How many people actually repeat? Doesn't take a huge % to sell a lot of extra shampoo. The same thing applies I think to throwing away lots of meds by a given date and buying more.

I can not tell anyone to use expired medication. It's not what we do here. I also read a minute ago that temperature is a critical factor for cleocin. I don't know how critical as I wasn't able to find if the medication becomes toxic or whatever after a certain time as you asked about. It is a very inexpensive medication. If there was any way to purchase another prescription I would replace it. It's even available online with an overnight delivery. That is just me. God bless.

denman is offline New Member

Thanks robert. I bit the bullet and went to the doc anyway. You're right, such a fever is never good. Turns out i was right too, it's bronchitis. Well got my antibiotics now, so all is well. Thanks alot though for your reply.

Den

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default Den

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Thanks robert. I bit the bullet and went to the doc anyway. You're right, such a fever is never good. Turns out i was right too, it's bronchitis. Well got my antibiotics now, so all is well. Thanks alot though for your reply.

Den

Glad you replied. I was wondering how you were doing. I hate high fevers. And 103 F is a pretty high fever for anyone.

I know that you're relieved to have gotten some fresh antibiotics. I use some older ones too sometimes but it isn't really a good idea to make that common practice. You need good meds for bronchitis. Figure they gave you a Z-pac or something similar. Take care and God bless.