Effexor XR and Trazodone
    tnblonde is offline New Member

Default Effexor XR and Trazodone

The doctor has put my husband on these two drugs. I thought the trazodone was just a sleeping pill till I read about it and found out it was also an antidepressant. What kind of reactions can a person get from taking these pills? Can they change your behavior in any way? My husband has also starting drinking beer heavily too. How will that react with this medication? I am worried about him. He doesn't act the same. Help!

gonnamakeit is offline New Member

Let me tell you.Trazadone is one we will NEVER have in our house AGAIN!!!!! you get weird wicked wild dreams.and I felt like I had a hang over in the morning........when we had my son in rehab for pot they wanted to put him on it to help him sleep..I put my foot down and said NOWAY.well I was considered a mom who didn't care.but chit with the sideeffects I had.......noway will we EVER have it in our house again..I would look into something different

Was you on any other kind of antidepressant? What other side effects did you have? I just can't understand why the doctor has put him on two different kinds of antidepressants.

Ayeblee is offline New Member

Trazadone does have a hang over effect. The beers will not help because alcohol is a depressant and it will off set the anti depressants. Is he going to two different Dr's? Two antidepressants are not uncommon BUT he should try to get at least one. If he isn't sharing with his MD that he is drinking, then I can see why his MD might give him put him on two.

He is not going to two different doctors and his doctor doesn't know he is drinking. I told him that the depressants would not do him any good as long as he was drinking. Money is being wasted on both. I am just afraid of what the long term effect of the depressants might have on him. I would rather he not be on them.

charmedguy18 is offline New Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by gonnamakeit View Post
    Let me tell you.Trazadone is one we will NEVER have in our house AGAIN!!!!! you get weird wicked wild dreams.and I felt like I had a hang over in the morning........when we had my son in rehab for pot they wanted to put him on it to help him sleep..I put my foot down and said NOWAY.well I was considered a mom who didn't care.but chit with the side effects I had.......noway will we EVER have it in our house again..I would look into something different
    This is something I find disturbing. You send him to REHAB for a PLANT. Do some research. Find some that ISN'T funded, and especially researched by the government. They have it illegalize because if it were legalized, pharmaceutical companies would lose money. So rest assured, they have a contract.
    Also, they illegalized it in the first place because the hemp industry (hemp = Marijuana, sans THC (like.. .001%, which mean no way you can get high) was gaining control over the clothing industry, in turn, almost obliterating cotton sales. Why? It was cheaper. It lasts MUCH MUCH longer. It's MUCH stronger fabric. It can be made as a course fiber for jewelry, and it can be made as a soft (and yet still durable and very slow-aging) fabric. Cotton has none of those characteristics. If you read some things, a hugely rich cotton-CEO/cotton mega-man, paid the government A LOT of money and soon afterward, Marijuana, especially hemp, was completely illegal to grow, sell, and obtain.

Google about the effects of CBC and THC on the human body (the two most concentrated chemicals found in non-hemp marijuana). Also read up about how MUCH it helps depression. Like my sister, who tried to commit suicide, twice, moved to California, and was prescribed a certain strand of marijuana with higher levels of CBC than THC called 'Indica,' (as apposed to Sativa, which has a high concentration of THC, and a lower concentration of CBC) She also has moderate panic/anxiety. CBC is a VERY effective anxiety-medication. THC, although it raises anxiety, is THE BEST antidepressant known to man as of now. But since she's on Indica, the CBC cancels-out the anxiety caused by THC, but it doesn't take much to do that. The rest of the anti-anxiety effects it has, works for at least a week after ingesting the substance in any way. The THC also does the same as an antidepressant. She went from hopelessly depressed with Agoraphobia, to stable, happy, and anxiety-free. All because of pot. Her roommate, a nurse himself, also uses it as antidepressant, because has worse symptoms of depression than my sister, but no anxiety issues. So uses Sativa.

They both take two hits a week. That's it. With a vaporizer, which doesn't harm the lungs since it's just vaporized CBC and THC.... So in essence. It's inhaling, water vapor, oxygen, carbon dioxide, whatever the hell else is in the air, which is definitely worse for you than Marijuana, THC, and CBC (along with another Cannibinoids that are chemically inactive in the body).

And if they wanna get stoned, the doctor. A psychiatrist, with an M.D. along with another, unnecessary, but valued degree, is prescribing this to them, and says it's fine to get stoned if they want. But only the strands their prescribed.... And for my sister, she can only do a limited amount of hits, because he doesn't want too much THC build up, because it could increase anxiety. But I mean, the amount of hits he said she could take in a day, was like 25. With that weed, you'd be stoned out of your mind, and loving music and the world. I met the Doctor. My sister wanted me to sit in on her session. And he was NOT a "hippie," nor anything of the sort. Completely professional and very intellectual. He described to me a lot of the things I am stating in this very post. He told me most doctors tell you (in other states) Marijuana is bad for you because they were paid to do so for lots of our tax-dollars, and a signed contract. California doctors normally do not agree to this, because, yes it's true, they're paid by the Cali-based Medical Marijuana suppliers. But he was telling me this, off-record, and knowing I lived in South Carolina, and was visiting. Not just selling the stuff, but giving me real, clinical facts. He told me straight up, he prescribes Marijuana to many people, because it is EFFECTIVE and he gets paid. Win-win. He did say that he cannot, and will not prescribe it to anyone with prodromal, or post-psychosis Schizophrenia, as it can make it much worse, since it's slight hallucinogen.

Next, if you research, again without the funds, or actual studies of the government involved, you will find that THC is GOOD for your lungs. It kills dying or very weak cells, which could potentially be cancerous. Smoke is bad for your lungs, and cause infection, but with a vaporizer, that is canceled out because it isn't smoke.... There are MANY more benefits of THC and CBC for your body. You'll find that the cliché that it makes you stupid, is nothing more than a myth... Because being stoned, yes, makes you stupid, but only while high. But being and getting drunk, on the other hand, will make you stupid while drunk, plus lowering inhibition, and impulse control, and also if used in excess by the wrong person, can cause violent behavior. Alcohol (the chemical called either 'ethanol,' or 'ethyl-alcohol) also causes deterioration of a certain part of your brain. Alcohol causes thousands of deaths in the U.S. alone every year, not just from drunk-driving, which is moronic, but also contributed to lowered inhibitions and impulse control, but it also is TOXIC to the brain, and even more so to the cardiovascular- and respiratory-systems. As in, drinking too much will lead to either fatal brain-damage, or more likely cause such severe respiratory and cardiac depression (slow-down) that it actually slows to the point where it STOPS. Meaning. DEATH. A lot of depressants do this, like the combination of Benzodiazepines and Opiates. Or just Opiates alone. The cause of heath ledger's death? The combination of Benzodiazepines and Opiates. Causing fatal cardiac and respiratory depression.

NEXT, if you sincerely can stop being a closed-minded, anti-marijuana conservative for just 20-minutes and use REAL, non-bias (government) research, then you'll find Marijuana is completely and totally safe. Even the government itself, after every year of drug-related deaths, has never put Marijuana alone as the cause of a death. Never. Never in in country in recorded history. Emphasis: Zero% of the entire population in recorded history has NEVER died from smoking pot.

But yes, there are three problems with it. One) psychological-dependency. That's a proven fact, stated by the unbiased researchers, too. There is NO possibly physical dependency issues though, at least in the 'long-term-short-term', meaning <20 years. And yes, that leads to the next issue. 2) Your brain can, after LONG LONG term REGULAR use, become dependent on the CBC and THC for control of anxiety and depression.... But so what? It's still not going to kill you. Exercise, which is just raved about, and apparently the majority think if you do it as much as possible, it's completely life-saving. Wrong. That's with 4-5 time a week exercise. Daily excercise can become an addiction, too. But that's a healthy thing, I thought, or that's what people SAY.... But, yet, OH NO! Addiction of anything is BAD! So daily exercise is BAD! The endorphins released during exercise, if released regularly on a daily basis, become physically- and psychologically-addictive. Also, excessive exercise (especially running [the worst of all], crunches, and pull-ups) can lead to long-term physical trauma on muscle-tissue and bones. Degrading and slowly weakening them. This is more damaging as an addiction, and more powerful of an addiction than marijuana. Cannabis doesn't even get CLOSE to any damage done, as does the addiction to exercise does. If your son starts to run long miles daily, will you send him to rehab for that too? Or maybe for the oh-so-detrimental cell-phone addiction? Or, for the lethal and AWFUL practice... That being, the baffling and powerful internet addiction?

Yeah, didn't think so. I would much rather be addicted to something keeping me happy and/or anxiety-free, especially since it's working all the time, even while not under the influence (yes, it does stay and remain active chemically as an anti-anxiety (Indica), and anti-depressant (Sativa) agent. Continued in follow-up post.
    Last edited by charmedguy18; 07-30-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added details. 2x

Thumbs down

Continued....

One more problem, and unfortunately the worst (and personally experienced), but EASILY avoided with the correct knowledge... If you are on any SSRI, or SNRI (Strattera is the only one I know of, it's not really for depression, but for ADHD, but it uses the same ways of working as all of them, and has some anti-depressant properties) , or SSNRI-type antidepressant for either anxiety, depression. Smoking marijuana, regardless of the strain is absolutely not acceptable and dangerous when mixed when these types of medications! I have, from an SSNRI, and retard South Carolina psychiatrist, permanent severe Panic and Anxiety disorders. Because, even with knowledge of regular cannabis use, that I told her was controlling my depression, but not my anxiety (only Sativa here.) She must have forgot to tell me when prescribing Cymbalta, and SSNRI, that this could cause the disease I currently live with every day and have to take high-doses of extremely addictive medications, called Benzodiazepines, every day, or I can't function in life. Plus, my medication resistant-depression, only explained by a born-dopamine deficiency, worsened by C-PTSD and severe depression (when I hadn't smoked)... So I have to take a stimulant medication, which helps my ADHD and my depression. The only other choices were MOAI's. Which, if you don't know, can cause fatal reactions with so many things. Even food can kill you if you eat the wrong thing on an MOAI (whatever it counteracts with negatively, immediately causes extreme hypertension, leading to fatal cardiac arrest, to put it mildly). So I'm on a stimulant. I used to be on 60mg Adderall XR a day. It worked WONDERS, without increasing my anxiety except for about maybe 1%. So I didn't need more Klonopin (Benzo). But, now, after getting off of that, and using a 'Neuropsychiatrist,' who believes in only SSNRI, or Tricylin antidepressants for panic, depression, and generalized anxiety, and in turn attempting suicide with the Tricyclin (Imipirimine, a sedating, and fatal if overdosed on anti-depressant). So they, in the psychiatric hospital, saw immediately my dopamine deficiency, and didn't even try anything but the Effexor (SSNRI) I was already on, in combination with Methylphenidate-based (Ritalin) medication, called Concerta. It worsens my anxiety in such a way, it's hard to take, but instead of just putting me on what had worked in the past, refusing basically, he just doubled my already dependancy-abled dose of Klonopin (4mg, if I stopped taking it suddenly for some reason, I could have a seizure that could be fatal). He didn't prescribe Adderall XR, Stating it had too much "abuse potential."
    Yeah, well I've personally saw someone chew up two Concerta, and state they felt like they were on crack, in which I responded, that the fact they know what crack feels like and that they chew up prescriptions, especially ones not of their own, was f.u.c.k.i.n.g moronic. That's third shrink I've known to obviously be paid or given many things to prescribe one med over another for specific diseases. Like the other Psychiatrist there treated even moderate depression, with low-doses of Anti psychotics. All the people I saw treated that way, actually starting having OBVIOUS Bi-Polar symptoms. They changed into scary, irrational, and unpredictable people. And yet, the man still thinks it can be used as a f.u.c.k.i.n.g 'mood stabilizer.' I could go on... but it's just irritating.
    FYI: (SSRI = Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, SNRI = Selective Norepinephrine [literally Adrenaline specifically for the brain] Reuptake inhibitor, SSNRI = Selective Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake inhibitor. They, simply put, slowly change the brain to accept more Serotonin, supposedly making you happier, and less anxious... Same with the Norepinephrine component, but that is also to raise brain energy to increase the ability to focus on being happy, I'm guess... I don't really care because they did nothing but harm me)
    FYI2: (S[S][N]RI medication has been show to sometimes cause psychosis. And it's very prevalent to become suicidal on them. God knows, I was. It's shocking I didn't do it while on those meds, than the Tricylins. So if you would like your son to live, don't let him be on these medications. They are there for MONEY-MAKING, and nothing else. Because it has been shown to help SOME people's depression. But also CAUSE suicidal thoughts, CAUSE suicide-attempts, CAUSE successful-suicide, and CAUSE psychosis, including psychotic breaks.)

If you want your son to really be safe. Teach him about the AWFUL and ADDICTIVE hard-drugs, and prescription-drugs one can abuse. Also the detrimental effect of excessive drinking. If he smokes pot, and nothing else because of the knowledge of potential addiction, disablility, and death caused by abusing prescription- and hard-drugs, it most likely will be the ONLY drug (if you even can call it that - since it's a naturally-found plant, growing wildly some places. Even wild strands that have high amounts of THC and CBC can be found in some places, though not often.

-----------------------------
    Response to thread topic, after the NEEDED act of setting facts straight, and hopefully making some parents feel incredibly guilty for sending their son to a horrible, horrible place, for something so harmless:

Right now I'm on: Concerta 54mg (ADHD, severe depression), Effexor 150mg (depression, increase of antidepressant properties of Concerta from the Norepinephrine-component, which only increases anxiety more), 4mg Klonopin (anxiety and panic), and Trazedone (for insomnia and anti-depressant properties). The Trazedone hasn't seemed to make a significant negative alteration in me. I don't feel one at all, actually. Only from the Klonopin, and the Concerta do I feel any help from. But if it is as awful as you say it is, I think I'm going to just try another (non-addictive, and only for the purpose of the following) sleeping medication. Because I really really doubt it's helping my depression. Plus my mother has told me it can have a negative interaction with Effexor. I see a new psychiatrist soon. I hope I can finally get the meds that keep me completely stable. Not just in terms of ADHD and depression, but also for anxiety. I need to taper off this dose of Klonopin as slowly and as soon as possible. I can't stand to be addicted to a substance physically like this. Not to mention, the dose is so high enough, that I have small blackouts. I just don't remember what happened for about 10 seconds in the past. A common Benzo-side-effect.

Thank you for your time. Reading this all, especially the top part would be GREATLY appreciated, and would be beneficial to you if you have a closed-mind, or think that everything the Government does and says is true and good.

Any typos, or mistakes I made in writing this, please disregard. It's almost midnight and I'm flustered from hearing such awful parenting.

And c'est toute, personnes!
    Last edited by charmedguy18; 07-30-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo & Added Emphasis

Default added detail

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeblee View Post
    Trazadone does have a hang over effect. The beers will not help because alcohol is a depressant and it will off set the anti depressants. Is he going to two different Dr's? Two antidepressants are not uncommon BUT he should try to get at least one. If he isn't sharing with his MD that he is drinking, then I can see why his MD might give him put him on two.
    Alcohol in excess is never good. It is never good to have alcohol in your system with a depressant, but I'm sorry to correct you, but depressant DOESN'T mean it causes depression, it is a synonym for sedative. And the drinking may be because he 1) has anxiety/panic (I started drinking before I knew an effective med existed for anxiety and panc), 2) Dopamine-deficiency caused depression.

There are so many depressed people who just have low dopamine levels, and if they just got the right medication, would be stable. But psychiatrist are taught in a biased fashion to think SSRI's are almost universally-successful in treating depression. (Can you say 'pharm-money-influence?)

It makes me sick, that even though Psychiatry has gone SO far, medicinally, ethically, and effectively that it has all these problems. It still lacks a fair amount of ethical science because of the teaching done in most schools.
    Last edited by charmedguy18; 07-30-2008 at 11:16 PM.

acisseJessica is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by charmedguy18 View Post
    Continued....

One more problem, and unfortunately the worst (and personally experienced), but EASILY avoided with the correct knowledge... If you are on any SSRI, or SNRI (Strattera is the only one I know of, it's not really for depression, but for ADHD, but it uses the same ways of working as all of them, and has some anti-depressant properties) , or SSNRI-type antidepressant for either anxiety, depression. Smoking marijuana, regardless of the strain is absolutely not acceptable and dangerous when mixed when these types of medications! I have, from an SSNRI, and retard South Carolina psychiatrist, permanent severe Panic and Anxiety disorders. Because, even with knowledge of regular cannabis use, that I told her was controlling my depression, but not my anxiety (only Sativa here.) She must have forgot to tell me when prescribing Cymbalta, and SSNRI, that this could cause the disease I currently live with every day and have to take high-doses of extremely addictive medications, called Benzodiazepines, every day, or I can't function in life. Plus, my medication resistant-depression, only explained by a born-dopamine deficiency, worsened by C-PTSD and severe depression (when I hadn't smoked)... So I have to take a stimulant medication, which helps my ADHD and my depression. The only other choices were MOAI's. Which, if you don't know, can cause fatal reactions with so many things. Even food can kill you if you eat the wrong thing on an MOAI (whatever it counteracts with negatively, immediately causes extreme hypertension, leading to fatal cardiac arrest, to put it mildly). So I'm on a stimulant. I used to be on 60mg Adderall XR a day. It worked WONDERS, without increasing my anxiety except for about maybe 1%. So I didn't need more Klonopin (Benzo). But, now, after getting off of that, and using a 'Neuropsychiatrist,' who believes in only SSNRI, or Tricylin antidepressants for panic, depression, and generalized anxiety, and in turn attempting suicide with the Tricyclin (Imipirimine, a sedating, and fatal if overdosed on anti-depressant). So they, in the psychiatric hospital, saw immediately my dopamine deficiency, and didn't even try anything but the Effexor (SSNRI) I was already on, in combination with Methylphenidate-based (Ritalin) medication, called Concerta. It worsens my anxiety in such a way, it's hard to take, but instead of just putting me on what had worked in the past, refusing basically, he just doubled my already dependancy-abled dose of Klonopin (4mg, if I stopped taking it suddenly for some reason, I could have a seizure that could be fatal). He didn't prescribe Adderall XR, Stating it had too much "abuse potential."
    Yeah, well I've personally saw someone chew up two Concerta, and state they felt like they were on crack, in which I responded, that the fact they know what crack feels like and that they chew up prescriptions, especially ones not of their own, was f.u.c.k.i.n.g moronic. That's third shrink I've known to obviously be paid or given many things to prescribe one med over another for specific diseases. Like the other Psychiatrist there treated even moderate depression, with low-doses of Anti psychotics. All the people I saw treated that way, actually starting having OBVIOUS Bi-Polar symptoms. They changed into scary, irrational, and unpredictable people. And yet, the man still thinks it can be used as a f.u.c.k.i.n.g 'mood stabilizer.' I could go on... but it's just irritating.
    FYI: (SSRI = Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, SNRI = Selective Norepinephrine [literally Adrenaline specifically for the brain] Reuptake inhibitor, SSNRI = Selective Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake inhibitor. They, simply put, slowly change the brain to accept more Serotonin, supposedly making you happier, and less anxious... Same with the Norepinephrine component, but that is also to raise brain energy to increase the ability to focus on being happy, I'm guess... I don't really care because they did nothing but harm me)
    FYI2: (S[S][N]RI medication has been show to sometimes cause psychosis. And it's very prevalent to become suicidal on them. God knows, I was. It's shocking I didn't do it while on those meds, than the Tricylins. So if you would like your son to live, don't let him be on these medications. They are there for MONEY-MAKING, and nothing else. Because it has been shown to help SOME people's depression. But also CAUSE suicidal thoughts, CAUSE suicide-attempts, CAUSE successful-suicide, and CAUSE psychosis, including psychotic breaks.)

If you want your son to really be safe. Teach him about the AWFUL and ADDICTIVE hard-drugs, and prescription-drugs one can abuse. Also the detrimental effect of excessive drinking. If he smokes pot, and nothing else because of the knowledge of potential addiction, disablility, and death caused by abusing prescription- and hard-drugs, it most likely will be the ONLY drug (if you even can call it that - since it's a naturally-found plant, growing wildly some places. Even wild strands that have high amounts of THC and CBC can be found in some places, though not often.

-----------------------------
    Response to thread topic, after the NEEDED act of setting facts straight, and hopefully making some parents feel incredibly guilty for sending their son to a horrible, horrible place, for something so harmless:

Right now I'm on: Concerta 54mg (ADHD, severe depression), Effexor 150mg (depression, increase of antidepressant properties of Concerta from the Norepinephrine-component, which only increases anxiety more), 4mg Klonopin (anxiety and panic), and Trazedone (for insomnia and anti-depressant properties). The Trazedone hasn't seemed to make a significant negative alteration in me. I don't feel one at all, actually. Only from the Klonopin, and the Concerta do I feel any help from. But if it is as awful as you say it is, I think I'm going to just try another (non-addictive, and only for the purpose of the following) sleeping medication. Because I really really doubt it's helping my depression. Plus my mother has told me it can have a negative interaction with Effexor. I see a new psychiatrist soon. I hope I can finally get the meds that keep me completely stable. Not just in terms of ADHD and depression, but also for anxiety. I need to taper off this dose of Klonopin as slowly and as soon as possible. I can't stand to be addicted to a substance physically like this. Not to mention, the dose is so high enough, that I have small blackouts. I just don't remember what happened for about 10 seconds in the past. A common Benzo-side-effect.

Thank you for your time. Reading this all, especially the top part would be GREATLY appreciated, and would be beneficial to you if you have a closed-mind, or think that everything the Government does and says is true and good.

Any typos, or mistakes I made in writing this, please disregard. It's almost midnight and I'm flustered from hearing such awful parenting.

And c'est toute, personnes!
    --

I've mixed marijuana and an SSRI called Lexapro before. Does this mean its likely that I could have developed a panic disorder as well? I do get anxious a lot and feel social anxiety more than I used to. I was also on Lamictal for a few years but stopped when I realized I could live without it and would rather learn to control my emotions. It's been a month and I feel stable. More or less.