Effexor and memory loss
    jocarlyle_au is offline New Member

Default Effexor and memory loss

Hi All,

I wanted to know if memory loss is aside affect of Effexor? I have been on effexor for the past year and my memory has gotten worst. I find it hard to remember what I had for lunch two days ago, let alone important information.[?] I plan to study in the new year and am worried about my memory. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Take Care
    jocarlyle_au

mrsanders_pooh is offline New Member

It has been a side effect for me. I didn't notice it at first, but over time (3 years) I now have a difficult time recalling names and what I ate for breakfast!!! I have to concentrate really hard to remember stuff. I do think I read somewhere that long term use of Effexor can lead to Alzheimers! Did you know that the recommended duration for using Effexor is only 6 months? My doctor never told me that and here it's been three years.

Pooh Bear

connieb is offline New Member

I've only just joined this forum and don't really know what I'm doing yet. But your question was one of the first responses to my internet inquiry for info on Effexor and memory loss. Did U get answers when U first posted the question, and if so where are they? I've had terrible memory loss from too many yrs. on antidepressants; past 4.5 yrs on Effexor! Had to beg for help and psych looked at me as if I was an idiot. Naturopath finally told me this memory loss is a most definite side effect of long term use of antidepressants, and put me on a mix of natural ingredients to help reverse the damage. Can keep U posted if U are still interested. Pls. let me know your status?

quote:Originally posted by jocarlyle_au

Hi All,

I wanted to know if memory loss is aside affect of Effexor? I have been on effexor for the past year and my memory has gotten worst. I find it hard to remember what I had for lunch two days ago, let alone important information.[?] I plan to study in the new year and am worried about my memory. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Take Care
    jocarlyle_au

Lorenzo is offline Junior Member

effxor is a very good drug for depression, but
    it does have side effects. Constipation is the
    most common problem. It can take several months
    to adjust to this medication.

maestro2082 is offline New Member

I use to take effexor, i stopped because of the way it made me feel. Ive had trouble retaining things since then and recently heard about effexor and memory loss on tv. Great, just what i needed. Gonna issue us another drug to fix the memory but make us read backwards now? gg

gavin-jones is offline New Member

Smile My take on Effexor and Memory

Good Morning,

My take on Effexor and Memory loss is very different to everything I have read online.

A bit of background first... I have been on 225mg of the drug Effexor for 2 years. I have struggled with severe depression for the past 17 years and am 30 years old.

My memory is photographic. When I fully understand something, I lock it away after seeing and visualising a mental image. Sometimes when I am trying to recall something I search my mind and parts of the image come back... then with further concentration and thought the full image presents itself and I can talk about whatever the concept was for hours based on my initial understanding of whatever it was.

I have a degree in Commerce and am currently studying a Master of IT at one of the best Universities for Technology in Australia where I am maintaining a 7.0 GPA (at present).

The only issue I find I have with regard to Effexor and brain functions, is concentration due to a wealth of positive thoughts that flood my brain when I am trying to do something that is incredibly boring. It's like my mind doesn't like to focus on things I am not interested in. I see this as a good thing, as you are well aware that compared to depression having a mind that is on the ball and positive

Now a note on my memory.... I find maintaining a good healthy brain and memory is a lot of work! My trick is to refrain from alcohol (Big no-no when on any anti-depressant), don't smoke, don't do any illegal drugs, drink a lot of water, exercise and get plenty of sleep. Unfortunately these practices aren't the quick fix that a lot of people are looking for, however if you are serious about your study and your health, following my advice here will change your life

Good luck in your studies. I say go for it!

Gavin Jones
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-13-2010 at 11:39 PM.

chirorandi is offline New Member

Question memory loss is a real side affect

Hi. I have been experiencing the same thing. I can't put together historic timelines about when things happened. I have trouble remembering lists and past things I have done. It is scaring me. Does anyone know of a way to get the memory back? I have been on Effexor for a long time. It really helped me when prozac, paxil, etc...didn't. Suggestions????

braingymmer is offline New Member

Here are number of common thing that are responsible for memory loss. And memory loss is affect your daily life.