Does vicodin make your tongue numb?
    findlaybk is offline New Member

Default Does vicodin make your tongue numb?

I think someone I know maybe using cocaine. I found a powder residue, and a rolled up dollar bill in his room. When I asked him about it, he said it was vicodin that he crushed up and snorted (as if this is okay). But when i got a little of it on my finger and just barely dabbed it, it made my tongue go instantly numb. Could anyone tell me if vicodin makes your tongue go numb if you lick it. If so, is the sensation of numbness caused by vicodin, similar to the numbness caused by cocaine?

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

nope, it sure doesn't, that was cocaine.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )~~

findlaybk is offline New Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

jpklcapp is offline New Member

Vicoden can make your tongue numb. The drug that is in Vicoden (Hydrocodone) is a potent narcotic ~ the numbness will be short lived but it does occur. Cocain causes numbness because it functions as a local anasthetic but hydrocodone causes numbness I have experienced this personally but it does not last long (minutes only- less than ten after chewing a vicoden ES.

Say what? I've chewed up thousands of Vics and never once experienced tongue numbness. Sure the bitterness of the pill bites some, but nothing whatsoever compared to the likes of cocaine.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )~~

Baby Steps is offline Senior Member

I'm with you Cat. I've crushed the most ptent Vic's x 3 at one time and no numbness at all... Just a bitter taste.

Baby Steps

caz007 is offline Junior Member

May I ask what the reason for crushing or chewing them? I have always just taken them the normal way, is there an advantage to your way?

Tzer, I don't do it anymore but when I used to take them it was hard to swallow the whole pill so I had to crush them in my mouth and chase down with water.

I hope this helps.

Baby Steps

Chewing them up gives them a little head start. Don't chew CR's people.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )~~

Hey Cat... What are CR's? And I didn't realize it was bad to chew medicine, I have to chew most medicine I take unless it's small enough and coated. So what do you mean by a head start? I wonder why my DR never told me this. Thanks so much for the info... what about cutting it in halves? I take a couple daily meds taht are too big too swallow, any advice.

Thanks again Cat!!!

Hugz,

Baby Steps

CR is controlled release aka extended release (ER) and they can be deadly since they are time release, crushing breaks the time release and you get the full dose of the med at once, examples are oxycontin, ms contin, xanax er. It will say on your bottle, do not chew or crush, cut or break it may be a good idea in your case to ask your doctor when Rx'd something new (just to be safe).
    By headstart I mean, if you swallow a pill whole, it takes time for it to dissolve, obviously crushing speeds that along, it gets more medicine in your blood stream faster. Some pills are too nasty to do that with unless you're minus tastebuds. Like soma, yuck!

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )~~

Cats Your Awesome!!! Thanks so much for all that excellent information!!! Thank God I'm still alive and I will ask the pharmasist if they have something different as I still can't swallow those horse pills w/o gagging![xx(]

Thanks again for everything Cats!!! Have a Great Night!!!

Baby Steps

I appreciate that. Now, don't feel like you're doing something wrong, crushing them unless they're CR, most CR or XR are on the small side anyway.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )~~

jpklcapp is offline New Member

because you have chewed them multiple times and not experienced any numbness does not mean that the medication cannot cause numbness.

I'm just saying I took them for a year Vic 10's for a horrific accident that left me pinned together and because I couldn't swallow them I had to chew them to swallow them and not once did my tounge or mouth go numb just a very bitter taste so I'm not sure what drug your referring to but I know Vics aka Hydrocodones don't.

Have a Great Night!!

Baby Steps