does lexapro cause weight gain or loss
    sxyblonde21 is offline New Member

Default does lexapro cause weight gain or loss

i have anxiety and also eating disorder and i do not want this drug to make me gain weight from a pill. does this lexapro do that? i bee on it for 3 days now[B)]

ihatedepression is offline New Member

I gained 23# on lexapro.......not a good drug and the withdrawals from it are HORRIBLE. Switch right now before it gets into your system.

Yetti is offline New Member

I have been on Lexapro for a week. Lost 5 lbs. I have little appetite. I feel great.

Yetti

jpklcapp is offline New Member

It can do either:
    Weight gain and weight loss have been reported frequently with escitalopram, but overall, escitalopram groups did not differ significantly from placebo with regard to clinically important weight change.

lily15500.aol.com is offline New Member

Unhappy Lexapro and weight gain......

Hi everyone, i have been on lexapro for about 4 months now, i am constantly hungry, i went to my doc and have gain about 10 pounds, i am tire and sleepy.. Has anyone experienced any of these side affects, and does anyone know what other medication might be better,. i am using it for depression and it helped but now i am depress because of the weight gain, and being so tired.. Please and advise would be appreciated... I have been on Wellbutrin for years it does help me but now that i am on lexapro i am not sure if it's the combination of them together or just, Lexapro

Thanks, Lily

cathyjourdan is offline New Member

Default Withdrawal from small dose?

Hi,

I have Lupus and have been quite distraught. My doctor put me on Lexapro this past Friday...now I am freaking after reading all this stuff about Lexapro. I am only taking 2.5 per day because of my fears....it seems to be helping already....what happens if I stop? I can't wean off any lower as I cut a 10 into four pieces as it is...or is this low enough not to have much withdrawal? Thank you for any help.

kitty475 is offline New Member

Default lexapro

I take Lexapro for depression, and as such it is a far superior drug to any other I've taken. But the answer to your question is :YES. I immediately saw an increase in my appetite, and I gained 10 pounds in two weeks, and that alone was enough to depress me... Too bad, really, because it really is a wonderful drug for treating alot of things.
    Last edited by kitty475; 01-10-2008 at 06:10 PM.

ohbrittany is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
    I have been on Lexapro for a week. Lost 5 lbs. I have little appetite. I feel great.

Yetti

i really hope that i dont gain weight. I would much rather lose weight than gain. do you think that you losing weigh while on lexapro has something to do with your body type or whatever its called?

RavenLynn is offline New Member

Default Lexapro

I have been on Lexapro since my fiance left for the army and it has help tremendously. I have actually lost 10 pounds since being on it! It helped me overcome my deppression and the anxiety that i was feeling after he left!

atlmom is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lily15500@aol.com View Post
    Hi everyone, i have been on lexapro for about 4 months now, i am constantly hungry, i went to my doc and have gain about 10 pounds, i am tire and sleepy.. Has anyone experienced any of these side affects, and does anyone know what other medication might be better,. i am using it for depression and it helped but now i am depress because of the weight gain, and being so tired.. Please and advise would be appreciated... I have been on Wellbutrin for years it does help me but now that i am on lexapro i am not sure if it's the combination of them together or just, Lexapro

Thanks, Lily
    I am now convinced after taking it for 25 months, that my continuous weight gain of 25-30 lbs. is due to Lexapro. I just figured this out! I am always hungry or always craving something. I get tired every afternoon and wish I could take a nap. It helped my temporary depression from a post-traumatic situation, and I've been afraid to get off the drug because I so don't want to go back to how I was feeling. Now that I've put 2 and 2 together and figured out that this is the reason for this strange weight gain, and after reading many of these posts, I am on my second day of weaning myself off the 10 mg. I was taking. I'm doing about 7.5 for a few days to a week and will then go to 5 and so on. I'm only on my second day of this, but I don't feel any kind of withdrawal symptoms. I've had many days where I've forgotten my pill, and I never had any kind of problem or felt at all different. I think it is a great drug for depression, but I do believe in the weight gain side effect. Good luck!

MandyP is offline New Member

Smile

I have been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and i have lost 16 lbs! I was on Paxil a few yrs ago and gained 22 lbs, so Lexapro has not had the same affect as Paxil.

mrsamberdawn is offline New Member

Default Lexapro weight gain or loss

I attributed my 28 pound weight gain to Lexapro, because that's the first antidepressant that I got on and then I started gaining weight, but now that I look back on it, I was only on Lexapro for a few weeks if that. I switched to Celexa and was on that for months. So, I am thinking that the Celexa made me gain the weight. I dunno though. My mom is on Celexa and has lost 40 pounds, and my sister-in-law is on Lexapro and loss I think 30 pounds. I am taking Lexapro again because I think it did help increase in me a better mood. I have noticed that I am eating more in the last three days, so I dunno.... I hope I don't gain weight!

njcbs is offline New Member

Default Does lexapro cause weight gain or loss?

I am 33 years old, am a recovering addict and am bi polar. I currently take risperdone, lamictal, lexapro and trazadone. My appetite is much smaller but i eat more frequently. I eat better foods, am very active while taking this medication, sleep well and have had slight weight loss.

I noticed that this drug is very effective and i enjoy it immensely. Im on 40mg once daily.

I recommend trying this med for at least 1 month. But please remember all meds have different effects on each user. Good luck....

It works well with me. Im happy, energetic and a lot better. Good luck

titian5 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cathyjourdan View Post
    Hi,

I have Lupus and have been quite distraught. My doctor put me on Lexapro this past Friday...now I am freaking after reading all this stuff about Lexapro. I am only taking 2.5 per day because of my fears....it seems to be helping already....what happens if I stop? I can't wean off any lower as I cut a 10 into four pieces as it is...or is this low enough not to have much withdrawal? Thank you for any help.
    I had bad withdrawl upon stopping Lex after being on 2.5 mg/day for several weeks.
    After being off of it for a week and getting scared about the withdrawl effects, I went back on an 8th of a pill (yes, I'm basically biting off a sliver of the quarter pill) Within a day, I felt a LOT better! I still feel the withdrawl a little bit, but totally manageable now. I am planning on trying to get the liquid form so that I can cut the dosage in half again before going off completely again. So, that could be a solution. Believe it or not, I was actually feeling thinner when I was off for a week - I didn't weigh myself though. Almost right away, after going back on the 1/8 a 10 mg pill I feel like I'm gaining or bloated again. Interesting.

titian5 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sxyblonde21 View Post
    i have anxiety and also eating disorder and i do not want this drug to make me gain weight from a pill. does this lexapro do that? i bee on it for 3 days now[B)]
    If I had known about how common weight gain on Lexapro seems to be, I would not have gone on it. I had problems with gaining weight on Zoloft - on both Lexapro and Zoloft the gain was slow. When I got off the Zoloft I started losing weight really quickly. I also would never have gone on Lexapro if I had known how terrible the withdrawl is when you want to get off of it! I've never had problems getting off a medication before - it's been BAD! Terrible anxiety, foggy brain, forgetfulness, headaches, EXTREME irritability, quick anger, a day of crying all day. Just my take on it, but I wouldn't take it again. I can't wait to be completely rid of it. (I gained about 20 lbs.)

kiwiang is offline New Member

Default lexapro

Quote Originally Posted by titian5 View Post
    If I had known about how common weight gain on Lexapro seems to be, I would not have gone on it. I had problems with gaining weight on Zoloft - on both Lexapro and Zoloft the gain was slow. When I got off the Zoloft I started losing weight really quickly. I also would never have gone on Lexapro if I had known how terrible the withdrawl is when you want to get off of it! I've never had problems getting off a medication before - it's been BAD! Terrible anxiety, foggy brain, forgetfulness, headaches, EXTREME irritability, quick anger, a day of crying all day. Just my take on it, but I wouldn't take it again. I can't wait to be completely rid of it. (I gained about 20 lbs.)
    I also gained about 13kg in the 6months I was on this in 2010,then again this year when on for 6 months...(lost it after first time on),doctor took me of as I was getting depressed with the weight gain, I have been off for 4 weeks and feel lousy..headaches,moody,snappy,tearful(all the above)....how long til I feel ok? anyone know a good anti anxiety drug with NO weight gain other than cymbalta? but I must say I have no anxiety just all the other stuff so know how your feeling...
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-20-2011 at 09:03 PM.

johnhopps is offline Member

Gained 30 pounds on all ssri meds. Twice I stopped and lost almost all of the weight. Off prozac 3 months and I swear Im never going on any of these again. Doc prescribed klonopin for anxiety as needed and it works great. Take it whenever I have to not every day. The weight takes forever to come off for me. Good Luck

wisser is offline New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sxyblonde21 View Post
    I went to my dr today, and he gave me the drug lexapro to try. Everyone said dont take that it causes a great of weight gain is this true?

pia1222 is offline New Member

Default Weight gained 15lbs!!

I just switched to Cymbalta...I have been on Lexapro for about 1 year and I have gained at least 15 lbs, maybe 20! I have RA and thought it was my RA med, but I stopped the one that I thought it was and no weight loss. On Lexapro, my appetite increased- I ate so much more than normal. I have now been on Cymbalta for 1 week exactly and I have already dropped 5 lbs, feel terrific and my appetite is so much less! I can really feel the difference. FYI: I stopped Lexapro on a Friday and started Cymbalta on Saturday. No withdrawl issues.

pia1222 is offline New Member

I think it goes either way from what I haveread. Good for you! I hope it continues that way

samuel50 is offline New Member

It depends upon different body conditions. The following information just highlights the general average dosage of Generic Lexapro .Usual recommended dosage of Generic Lexapro for Depression is 10 milligrams once a day. If necessary, the doctor may increase the dose to 20 milligrams after a minimum of 1 week, but the higher dose is not recommended for older adults and people with liver problems.

Jaded88 is offline New Member

I think it depends. I'm nervous about it making me fat too, as I have had experience with an eating disorder as well. Just an FYI, don't let anyone prescribe you anti-psycotics like abilify. Those WILL make you gain a ton of weight. I gained 20 pounds when I was on it and it made me crave junk and want to sleep all the time.

HBPrincess12 is offline New Member
    NYC during school, but Portland, OR native. I'd like to move to FL, CA, or New Orleans someday

When I initially began taking Lexapro (10mg/day), I'm pretty certain that I gained 5-10 lbs. fairly quickly, although this was NOT a direct side effect of the Lexapro! One could say that it was an indirect side effect (within 2-3 days of commencing the Lexapro regimen, my appetite increased exponentially, and I went from consuming 500-800 calories/day to 4000-5000 calories/day), but if I had been physically prevented from eating as much as I did, I doubt my weight would have increased. At the time, I was also taking VERY large amounts of instant release Adderall/Dexedrine/Ritalin every day (quite often sleeping only every other day, sometimes every 3 days, as I was taking these ADD meds 24/7), 5mg Abilify/day, and 2mg clonazepam or 4mg lorazepam every other day (probably a little bit more often that, but not daily). While it definitely did not make me gain weight (in fact, I think that the Lexapro caused a slight degree of weight loss through acting as independent variable- I'll clarify this if I'm not making any sense ), the influence on my appetite was so strong that it partially negated the powerful appetite-suppressant effect of the stimulants that I was concurrently taking, and no other medication I've ever taken has had the slightest impact on this particular side effect of the ADD medications. In addition, the Lexapro also made me very sleepy, and it was almost like having narcolepsy, as I'd wake up in the morning, feeling well-rested after a 14-hour sleep, then 3-4 hours later, I'd get hit with this sensation of exhaustion, and I could only hope that I could make it to a bed in time (there was absolutely no way I could possibly stay awake).
    "The aim of medicine is to prevent disease . . . the ideal of medicine is to eliminate the need of a physician."

-William J. Mayo

"One must not forget that recovery is brought about not by the physician, but by the sick man himself. He heals himself, by his own power, exactly as he walks, eats, [or] thinks by means of his own power."

-Georg Groddeck

lmed2385 is offline New Member

I didnt have any withdrawals when I stopped. However, I have gained like 15lbs. in the two months after I stopped using lex.What was your experience with the weight gain?

lmed2385 is offline New Member

Hello EVERYONE, I just joined drugs.com just to comment on this thread. I got on lexapro for 3 months. It did help my irritability, anxiety, depression, etc. I did not gain weight while on the drug but was dragging my feet at work all day. I did not have any withdrawals when I stopped the pill. However, I have gained like 20lbs. in the two months after I stopped using lex. The weight seemed to be coming on kind of quick. I started taking dietary supplements that I have used and worked in the past. Three weeks later on Hot-Rox Extreme, I have gained an additional 5 lbs. From when I started. Has anyone had this experience when stopping lexapro? I have a fast metabolism and go to the restroom as soon as I am done eating any meal. Now I go when I go and only a little compared to normal.

BeckyDee is offline New Member

Thought I was going through early menopause due to a 30 + pound weight gain over a 4 month period since starting Lexapro. My doctor gave me 10 mg and I went from 130 pounds to 167 pounds, with no changes to my lifestyle (i.e. I wasn't overeating). I quit taking Lexapro 2 weeks ago by taking it every other day for two weeks, then stopping altogether, as per the advice of my doctor. In addition to weight gain, I also was very tired on this medicine. I kept with it for 4 months in the hopes that the tiredness side-effect would go away with time, but unfortunately for me, it didn't. Words of advice for those who want to stop taking Lexapro, do not go cold turkey. Even with my doctor's guidance and the two week step-down period, I still had withdrawal symptoms that were flu-like. I'm 4 weeks out now and still have nausea if I don't keep some food on my stomach. I can't imagine what I would've felt like if I'd stopped taking it cold turkey, and I was on a relatively low dosage. So, if you're reading this and have weight gain that doesn't respond to dietary changes or exercise and want to stop taking Lexapro, first talk to you doctor and ask him/her how to stop the medicine safely so you can avoid feeling nauseated, etc. Best of luck to those who are fighting the battle of anxiety and depression, don't be discouraged if you've gained weight. Try another medicine and keep fighting. :-)

john steven is offline New Member

lexapro causes the weight loss slowly and it will not affect immediately.There wont be any change causes if some exercise are workout.