Does the DEA limit the amount of xanax that's allowed to be prescribed daily?
    cherryc0kex is offline New Member

Default Does the DEA limit the amount of xanax that's allowed to be prescribed daily?

I have been taking xanax for about 5 months. I am now up to taking 3 mg a day, 1.5 in the morning 1.5 at night for anxiety/panic attacks. I was given lexapro to help since I started with only taking .5mg of xanax a day and it kept going up. The lexapro made me gain weight so I asked to be taken off. I started with 5 mg, went to 10 mg, and I'm back to 5 mg for now. I told my therapist lately I feel like I'm going to explode and need a little more xanax for the day. He told me he normally doesn't prescribe more than 3 a day because of the DEA. Is that a good reason? I know some lady who gets about 90 2 mg prescribed to her a month. If he wont prescribe me more than I ask for, should I look for a new doctor? I pay $140 for 30 minutes of talk and getting refills so shouldn't he be doing what I need? I understand that people abuse xanax, but does the DEA really control the daily allowance?
    Last edited by cherryc0kex; 12-10-2007 at 01:14 AM.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Xanax is a poor drug for anxiety unless you suffer from quick attacks that don't last long.Xanax doesn't last very long so if you have lasting anxiety issues then Klonopin is a much better drug or even valium as they both have long half lives.The problem with these drugs (benzodiazepines) is they don't work long and you get a tolerance to them quickly.They were designed only to be taken for 2 weeks max.After that all your doing is getting depended on them.
    Withdrawls from benzodiazepines can be fatal due to siezures!! So when a patient is taken off them they need to wean down slowly, never just stop taking a benzo or you run the risk of withdrawls.
    There are far better drugs for anxiety that aren't near as dangerous or addictive as benzodiazepines.>.Good luck......Dave

cherryc0kex is offline New Member

Thanks for the reply! I was given Klonopin to try before the Lexapro but it didn't do anything for some reason. I haven't tried Valium. Well I have, but that was before I actually had anxiety and that made me pass out. Ativan also did the same thing. I have tried so many anti-depressants that I have been allergic to or had other weird symptoms, or there are just some things I don't want to take, like Zoloft, so my doctor has no idea what to put me on now.

My boyfriend is pretty much addicted to Xanax now. We both go to the same therapist and I have mentioned that he abuses them, so that's why I'm thinking he wont prescribe me anymore than 3 because my boyfriend will get into my bottle.

I go to him this week so I'm going to try to find something else.