does 20mg oxy IR= 20mg oxycontin er?
    twinsmommma is offline New Member

Default does 20mg oxy IR= 20mg oxycontin er?

i know the IR is 4 hrs and ER 8-12 hrs....i'm waiting on pre-approval for oxy ER so dr said use your IR's in the mean time...my office visit went way over time..so i forgot to double check on my new script of ER 20mg would be 4 5mg IR every 4 hrs until pre-approval .he mentioned very briefly that my new script is 8 pills of my ir's daily....just wanting to double check BECAUSE I READ SOMEWHERE on here that said 15mg of IR is equilivant to 20mg ER....wouldn't it be 20mg IR =20mg ER with having to take it every 4hrs until pre-approval...and then when i get new script the 20mg ER twice a day every 12 hrs in place of the ir's..right??

ps...i know some of u will say call the dr/nurse....and i still may do that...but it takes all day sometimes the following day for response and the dr did mentioned the directions during visit but it was sooo quick being we had other things to cover...know what i mean...sorry this is long- winded!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.

just_a_mom is offline Member

Default IR does not equal ER

Quote Originally Posted by twinsmommma View Post

i know the IR is 4 hrs and ER 8-12 hrs....i'm waiting on pre-approval for oxy ER so dr said use your IR's in the mean time...my office visit went way over time..so i forgot to double check on my new script of ER 20mg would be 4 5mg IR every 4 hrs until pre-approval .he mentioned very briefly that my new script is 8 pills of my ir's daily....just wanting to double check BECAUSE I READ SOMEWHERE on here that said 15mg of IR is equilivant to 20mg ER....wouldn't it be 20mg IR =20mg ER with having to take it every 4hrs until pre-approval...and then when i get new script the 20mg ER twice a day every 12 hrs in place of the ir's..right??

ps...i know some of u will say call the dr/nurse....and i still may do that...but it takes all day sometimes the following day for response and the dr did mentioned the directions during visit but it was sooo quick being we had other things to cover...know what i mean...sorry this is long- winded!!!!!!!!!!!

IR = immediate release. So the 20 mg of oxycodone would be released immediately into your system, peak within 30-60 min and be gone within ~4 -6 hours.

ER = extended release. So the 20 mg of ER (aka oxycontin) would be released slowly over 8-12 hours (so ~2 mg per hour).

Lots of pain management people use ER/oxycontin because you don't get the 'high' then low of pain relief, with ER the drug slowly enters your system so you always have some relief.

Hope this helped,

just a mom