DIOVAN side effects
    BFApollo is offline New Member

Default DIOVAN side effects

I have been taking Diovan 80mg tablets daily for my blood pressure for over a year. Recently I have developed side effects "not listed" in the drugs side effects listing. Periodic severe pin/needles sensation in hands/arms/feet, light headedness, severe fatigue. This to the extent I have visited the ER numerous times just to be told there is no evidence of a problem seen in xrays, blood work, EKG, etc. Has anyone else experienced these sensations as I have ???

qwertyui is offline New Member

I just saw the doctor today for the same symptoms and I, too, have been on diovan for just over a year. I had been wondering if what I was experiencing was caused by the diovan, but did not mention it to the doctor. I know that when I drink LOTS of fluid the symptoms are better. Diovan is a diuretic-----and these symptoms can be caused by dehydration. Of course, the doctor's solution was to try Lexapro for these symptoms---which I have no intention of doing. Why the rush to treat with antidepressants when the diagnosis isn't immediately evident? Thanks for your post.

John Baeder is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFApollo View Post
    I have been taking Diovan 80mg tablets daily for my blood pressure for over a year. Recently I have developed side effects "not listed" in the drugs side effects listing. Periodic severe pin/needles sensation in hands/arms/feet, light headedness, severe fatigue. This to the extent I have visited the ER numerous times just to be told there is no evidence of a problem seen in xrays, blood work, EKG, etc. Has anyone else experienced these sensations as I have ???

Yes,I've been taking Diovan for several years ,1/2 tablet of 160/25,
    and have similar symptons. The lightheadnedness appears about an hour and half after consumption, and gets progressively worse through the afternoon and evening.Totally listless.My energy is dissipated to such a degree I have to sit and rest falling off to sleep for lengths at a time. Have had every medical test available.Thought I had vertigo or a brain tumor. Never recovered from a cervical lamentictomy 6-30-05,fused C4-7thought it was cervical vertigo. Neurosurgeon,neurologist, and PC docs
    are all dumfounded,and can'texplain the lightheadness and fatigue. Plus,parathesia in all hands,no feet,or arms,but left hand in constant pain from degenerated nerve which never healed from surgery.Although some neuropathy dectected in left foot. Is it the Diovan?

literyja is offline New Member

Default diovan symptoms

I HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS IN MY ARMS. I STARTED TAKING DIOVAN ABOUT A MONTH AGO. IT'S NOT EXTREMLY PAINFULL-BUT VERY AGGRAVATING. ALSO, WHEN I DO ANYTHING WITH MY ARMS (LIKE MOP). MY ARMS ACHE VERY MUCH. HAVE YOU HAD THES SYPMTOMS?

mktuttle is offline New Member

Default reply to you

You may have a condition called fibromyalgia...there are good treatment regimes available today for that condition...you should have many trigger points that are extremely tender to touch all over your body, sleep disorder and irritable bowel syndrome...or you could have a condition of spinal compression or a Khiari deformity...try some vitamin/mineral supplement that is all natural and liquid...I use Vemma available at www.myvemma.com/mtuttle, any type aerobic exercise, swimming, bicycle (outdoors or stationary), walking....this may help those symptoms and it may not be the BP meds at all...just started taking it myself...waiting to see...

merenwind is offline New Member

Cool Rash on face

I,ve been on Diovan for Two and a half years. Last summer I started getting a rash on the bridge of my nose across my cheeks whenever I go out in the sun. Does anyone else have this happen. Not sure if the Diovan is causeing this I'm not on any other perscriptions. merenwind

JackDaRiver is offline New Member

Default Suspected Dangerous Diovan Side Effects

I have just begun taking Diovan. I have been experiencing the following symptoms: Pain and cramping, muscle weakness, light headed, heart palpitations,tingling in hands and feet and confusion and anxiety. Diovan was prescribed as a diuretic to offset symptoms associated with my diabetes. I exercise everyday to keep my diabetes in check and for weight loss.

I have noticed since beginning Diovan that the symptoms I have described are getting progressively worse; yesterday I could not make it home from my 5 mile daily run/walk which I have routinely finished for 4 years now. My wife had to run ahead and return with our car to transport me home; we almost went to the emergency room.

When these symptoms first began occurring I, initially, suspected it was caused by dehydration so I have carried a "camel back" of water to insure I have water available. This has not helped. I'm now beginning to suspect that there is a potentially very dangerous problem with potassium depletion and, as a result, my electrolytes "tank" when exercise is undertaken. For those of you who do not appreciate the impact of depleted potassium, potassium is critical for nerve message transmission/communication in your body's muscles; every muscle including your heart. I'm contacting my physician this morning to report what happened yesterday and what I suspect is the cause. I will follow up here to report what he says. I just wanted to get this out in front of anyone taking Diovan as a caution and to see if others have had similar experiences.

JackDaRiver is offline New Member

Default Diovan Patient Info From the Manufacturer

This is what the Manufacturer has posted for patient information; we all should be aware of this:

PATIENT INFORMATION
    DIOVAN HCT (DYE’-o-van HCT)
    (valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide)
    Tablets
    Read the Patient Information that comes with DIOVAN HCT before you start taking it and each time you get a refill. There may be
    new information. This leaflet does not take the place of talking with your doctor about your condition and treatment. If you have
    any questions about DIOVAN HCT, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
    What is the most important information I should know about DIOVAN HCT?
    If you become pregnant, stop taking DIOVAN HCT and call your doctor right away. DIOVAN HCT can harm an
    unborn baby causing injury and even death. If you plan to become pregnant, talk to your doctor about other treatment
    options to lower your high blood pressure before taking DIOVAN HCT.
    What is DIOVAN HCT?
    DIOVAN HCT contains two prescription medicines:
    1. valsartan, an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB)
    2. hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), a water pill (diuretic)
    DIOVAN HCT may be used to lower high blood pressure (hypertension) in adults-
    • when one medicine to lower your high blood pressure is not enough
    • as the first medicine to lower high blood pressure if your doctor decides you are likely to need more than one medicine.
    DIOVAN HCT has not been studied in children under 18 years of age.
    Who should not take DIOVAN HCT?
    Do not take DIOVAN HCT if you:
    • are allergic to any of the ingredients in DIOVAN HCT. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in
    DIOVAN HCT.
    • make less urine due to kidney problems
    • are allergic to medicines that contain sulfonamides.
    What should I tell my doctor before taking DIOVAN HCT?
    Tell your doctor about all your medical conditions including if you:
    • are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. See “What is the most important information I should know about
    DIOVAN HCT?”
    • are breast-feeding. DIOVAN HCT passes into breast milk. You should choose either to take DIOVAN HCT or breast-feed, but
    not both.
    • have liver problems
    • have kidney problems
    • have or had gallstones
    • have Lupus
    Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins and herbal
    supplements. Some of your other medicines and DIOVAN HCT could affect each other, causing serious side effects. Especially, tell
    your doctor if you take:
    • other medicines for high blood pressure or a heart problem
    • water pills (diuretics)
    • potassium supplements
    • a salt substitute containing potassium
    • antidiabetic medicines including insulin
    • narcotic pain medicines
    • sleeping pills
    • lithium, a medicine used in some types of depression (Eskalith®, Lithobid®, Lithium Carbonate, Lithium Citrate)
    • aspirin or other medicines called Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs).
    Ask your doctor if you are not sure if you are taking one of these medicines.
    Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of your medicines with you to show to your doctor and pharmacist when a new medicine
    is prescribed. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you start taking any new medicine. Your doctor or pharmacist will know
    what medicines are safe to take together.
    How should I take DIOVAN HCT?
    • Take DIOVAN HCT exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Your doctor may change your dose if needed.
    • Take DIOVAN HCT once each day.
    • DIOVAN HCT can be taken with or without food.
    • If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to your next dose, do not take the missed dose. Just take the
    next dose at your regular time.
    • If you take too much DIOVAN HCT, call your doctor or Poison Control Center, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
    What should I avoid while taking DIOVAN HCT?
    You should not take DIOVAN HCT during pregnancy. See “What is the most important information I should know about DIOVAN
    HCT?”
    What are the possible side effects of DIOVAN HCT?
    DIOVAN HCT may cause serious side effects including:
    • Harm to an unborn baby causing injury and even death. See “What is the most important information I should know
    about DIOVAN HCT?”
    • Low blood pressure (hypotension). Low blood pressure is most likely to happen if you:
    o take water pills
    o are on a low salt diet
    o get dialysis treatments
    o have heart problems
    o get sick with vomiting or diarrhea
    o drink alcohol
    Lie down if you feel faint or dizzy. Call your doctor right away.
    • Worsening liver problems. Liver problems may get worse in people who already have liver problems and take DIOVAN HCT.
    • Allergic reactions. People with and without allergy problems or asthma who take DIOVAN HCT may get allergic reactions.
    • Worsening of Lupus. Hydrochlorothiazide, one of the medicines in DIOVAN HCT may cause Lupus to become active or
    worse.
    • Fluid and electrolyte (salt) problems. Tell your doctor about any of the following signs and symptoms of fluid and
    electrolyte problems:
    • dry mouth
    • thirst
    • lack of energy
    (lethargic)
    • weakness
    • drowsiness
    • restlessness
    • confusion
    • seizures
    • muscle pain or
    cramps
    • muscle fatigue
    • very low urine output
    • fast heartbeat
    • nausea and vomiting
    • Kidney problems. Kidney problems may become worse in people that already have kidney disease. Some people will have
    changes on blood tests for kidney function and may need a lower dose of DIOVAN HCT. Call your doctor if you get swelling in
    your feet, ankles, or hands, or unexplained weight gain. If you have heart failure, your doctor should check your kidney
    function before prescribing DIOVAN HCT.
    • Skin rash. Call your doctor right away if you have an unusual skin rash.
    Other side effects were generally mild and brief. They generally have not caused patients to stop taking DIOVAN HCT.
    Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
    These are not all the possible side effects of DIOVAN HCT. For a complete list, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
    Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
    How do I store DIOVAN HCT?
    • Store DIOVAN HCT tablets at room temperature between 59oF to 86oF (15oC to 30oC).
    • Keep DIOVAN HCT in a closed container in a dry place.
    Keep DIOVAN HCT and all medicines out of the reach of children.
    General information about DIOVAN HCT
    Medicines are sometimes prescribed for conditions that are not mentioned in patient information leaflets. Do not use DIOVAN HCT
    for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give DIOVAN HCT to other people, even if they have the same symptoms
    you have. It may harm them.
    This leaflet summarizes the most important information about DIOVAN HCT. If you would like more information, talk with your
    doctor. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about DIOVAN HCT that is written for health professionals. For more
    information about DIOVAN HCT, go to www.DIOVAN.com or call 1-866-404-6359.
    What are the ingredients in DIOVAN HCT?
    Active ingredients: Valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide
    Inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, crospovidone, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, iron oxides, magnesium stearate,
    microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, talc, and titanium dioxide.
    What is high blood pressure (hypertension)?
    Blood pressure is the force in your blood vessels when your heart beats and when your heart rests. You have high blood pressure
    when the force is too much. DIOVAN HCT can help your blood vessels relax and reduce the amount of water in your body so your
    blood pressure is lower. Medicines that lower blood pressure lower your risk of having a stroke or heart attack.
    High blood pressure makes the heart work harder to pump blood throughout the body and causes damage to the blood vessels. If
    high blood pressure is not treated, it can lead to stroke, heart attack, heart failure, kidney failure, and vision problems.
    Eskalith® and Lithobid® are registered trademarks of Noven Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    Distributed by:
    Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
    East Hanover, New Jersey 07936
    © Novartis
    Revised July 2008 T2008-19/T2008-20

obsaved is offline New Member

Default BP

My mom is on two different BP meds.

I have a question...is 123/59 92 too low?

She is on Diovan and Plendil

TY. KIM

GennyL is offline New Member

Default Recall?

Quote Originally Posted by John Baeder View Post
    Yes,I've been taking Diovan for several years ,1/2 tablet of 160/25,
    and have similar symptons. ?
    I was researching Divan 80s and came across this, didn't hear a peep on Public airways....

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Recalls Single Lot of Diovan (Valsartan) 160 mg
    What does this mean?
    This recall for Diovan (valsartan) 160 mg was issued at a warehouse and pharmacy level only. The FDA and the manufacturer have determined that any recalled product that may have been dispensed to patients does not pose a significant health risk. That said, If you take Diovan (valsartan) 160 mg and notice that some of your tablets look different, please return them to your pharmacy. If you think you are experiencing side effects or have concerns about your medicine, you should speak to your doctor or other healthcare professional.

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp has recalled a single lot of Diovan (valsartan) 160 mg. Lot number F0976 is being recalled because this lot was found to contain some tablets of Diovan HCT 320/12.5 mg, another type of blood pressure medicine

more information here

Source: FDA
    Publication Date: 2011-04-25
    Last Updated: 2011-04-26
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-09-2011 at 02:16 PM.

jdfree is offline New Member

I just spent the last year and a half trying to pinpoint what was causing my neuropathy. I had the numbness,tingling and burning sensations in my right arm and in my legs. I had multiple MRI's, nerve conduction tests, blood tests, etc. Was diagnosed with Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome. I knew that the doctors were wrong. I'm a Pharmacy Tech, so I started looking into the side effects of all my medications. About 5% of people taking Diovan develop peripheral neuropathy!! I immediately saw my doctor and asked to be taken off of it. My pain has disappeared completely and I can function again without any pain. Please see your doctor and try to get a different medication. I would have never thought it would cause a side effect like this.