Dilaudid vs. Oxycontin
    rock123 is offline New Member

Default Dilaudid vs. Oxycontin

I had heard before that one of the things that made oxycontin so popular was that you could crush it up and snort it making it more powerful. Can you do the same with the 2mg. Dilaudid?

billybb is offline Junior Member

yes,, that will work. im pretty sure the feeling is a little different. stronger, but shorter effects. i was wondering if you could help me out with something. i am taking 10mg methadone, and i am having an allergic reaction from being in a crawl space. (dust is giving me hives and makiing me itch)
    so my question is, can you take benadryl with methadone? dilaudid is an opiate as well, can you take benadryl with dilaudid? please reply on this post, or mine, "can you take benadryl with methadone?"

William

crony419 is offline Junior Member

Yes, methadone can be taken with benadryl, but the benadryl will increase drowsiness. Narcotics are ok with most over the counter drugs. You shouldn't take alot though. I have had the same problems with itching, which is caused by the drug. The itching means youre taking too much, but if you need to take that much for pain or detox, take the benadryl too. I have had to take the 40 mg methadone that dissolves in water, dispersible tablets is what they're called. I found they work much better than the tablets.

legally addicted is offline New Member

Default where do i go from here

for starters i've only ever used generic brand drugs, that said i've got permanent nerve damage down my left leg which we are now treating with 8mg dilaudid(hydromorphone) every 4 hrs along with 10mg valium(diazepam) every 8hrs daily. so i take 48mg of dilaudid and 30mg of valium every day and to be honest i'm still in so much pain that some days the only reason i get up is to take my meds and take care of my pets. loritab and percocet have absolutely no effect on me anymore. my ?, is there anywhere i can go from here? technically percocet is oxycodone(what comes up when i search for generic oxycontin). i've asked my local pharmacist and all he could come up with was oxycontin is available in higher doses, but if it really is just oxycodone that would just be a much higher dose of something i've grown chemically immune to. in the last five years i've gone from the guy who's always throwing the parties with a model for a wife to a man who's had four surgeries and is now married to his pain and practically agoriphobic when it comes to going outside even for the most basic needs. they tried cymbalta to battle the deppression but after a week of that ******** i was curled up in a ball sobbing constantly. to be honest if it would stop the pain i'd let them cut my leg off but i'd still have the pain because its caused by scar tissue on the nerve root based at my spine. i just don't know what to do and i'm grabbing at straws i guess, looking for help anywhere i think i can find it. so if anybody has any suggestions feel free i'm open to anything. i don't thing drugs will ever do more than mask the symptoms, but maybe one day either thru stem cells or cyberization it could actually be fixed. but for now i'm stuck legally addicted.

Businessman1 is offline Member

Did the dilaudid help at all?

They just gave it to me in hospital, IV and pills and all it did for me was make me sick. No pain relief at all.

I normally take oxycodone which worked better for me. I have it pure (with no acetaminophen) so I keep taking it until it takes my pain away. For me this is currently 20mg instant release at a time. It used to be 10mg.

Oxycotin is just the extended release form. If Percs used to work, maybe you just built up a tolorance and need a higher dose of the oxycodone. If you get it without the acetaminophen you can normally take more.

Opana is another med to try (Oxymorphone). I've never taken it but it might be worth asking your doctor about.

sophie7780 is offline New Member

Default arachnoiditis?

Quote Originally Posted by legally addicted View Post
    for starters i've only ever used generic brand drugs, that said i've got permanent nerve damage down my left leg which we are now treating with 8mg dilaudid(hydromorphone) every 4 hrs along with 10mg valium(diazepam) every 8hrs daily. so i take 48mg of dilaudid and 30mg of valium every day and to be honest i'm still in so much pain that some days the only reason i get up is to take my meds and take care of my pets. loritab and percocet have absolutely no effect on me anymore. my ?, is there anywhere i can go from here? technically percocet is oxycodone(what comes up when i search for generic oxycontin). i've asked my local pharmacist and all he could come up with was oxycontin is available in higher doses, but if it really is just oxycodone that would just be a much higher dose of something i've grown chemically immune to. in the last five years i've gone from the guy who's always throwing the parties with a model for a wife to a man who's had four surgeries and is now married to his pain and practically agoriphobic when it comes to going outside even for the most basic needs. they tried cymbalta to battle the deppression but after a week of that ******** i was curled up in a ball sobbing constantly. to be honest if it would stop the pain i'd let them cut my leg off but i'd still have the pain because its caused by scar tissue on the nerve root based at my spine. i just don't know what to do and i'm grabbing at straws i guess, looking for help anywhere i think i can find it. so if anybody has any suggestions feel free i'm open to anything. i don't thing drugs will ever do more than mask the symptoms, but maybe one day either thru stem cells or cyberization it could actually be fixed. but for now i'm stuck legally addicted.

Legally addicted -- It sounds as if you've been diagnosed with arachnoiditis -- the scar tissue on the nerve roots on your spine. Is this correct? I've developed the same condition over the past year, as a result of a back procedure gone awry. Five months ago, I thought I could handle the pain, but it gets worse every day, it seems, and now I'm taking Oxycontin, oxycodone, Lyrica, Celebrex, and good old acetaminiphen. Nothing helps. I'm in constant pain and, like you, I don't feel like leaving the house, let alone being a fun person anymore.

Have you tried Lyrica? It's special for nerve pain. It may help you. I have no idea if it's doing me any good since I started taking it in the hospital. I'm wondering about hydromorphone (Dilaudid), which they gave me in the hospital as well. Is anyone on this forum taking it with good results? If so, are you taking it with oxycontin as well?

Thanks, and take care.

Businessman1 is offline Member

I found that the hydromorphone to be a bit helpful when I first got home from the hospital. The trouble was that although it's more powerful, they normally prescribe 2mg pills so if you've built a tolerance to another opiate pain med, it doesn't feel that strong. Plus for some reason my doctors were super nervous about me taking it and very relaxed about oxycontin.

BTW they gave me both. The hydromorphone was for "breakthrough pain" (which was a new term to me). After a week I went back to instant release pure oxcodone pills as my main source of pain relief. I found hydromorphone was only effective if I took 5 x my prescription which was "1-2 pills every 3 hours as needed". Also, it was very short acting and I don't think they make an extended release version.

Everyone is different so ask your doctor for something different if oxycodone isn't working for you. There are still a few others for you to try. When I was in hospital, they also gave me fentanyl which is stronger. When my brother had surgery in Europe, they gave him diamorphine (which I don't think they use in US hospitals).

sophie7780 is offline New Member

Thanks for your response. I had two doctors' appts. today -- one in preparation for accupuncture (which I discovered is not covered by my insurance!) and the other to increase my oxycontin dose. My sister keeps insisting that I should try a powerful anti-inflammatory like indomethacin, but somehow, I don't think going in that direction would make any sense. (She thinks it's a wonder drug.) All in all, I think I'm going to be taking large amounts of oxyC in one form or another, until I reach a point where it helps. Other than that, I'm going to work on my attitude. I can't keep feeling this frantic for the rest of my life. I've got to somehow get a handle on it.

Thanks for being a sounding board. Hope I haven't been too boring.

itsme1972 is offline New Member

Default Dilaudid

Dilaudid is much stronger intravenously than in tablet form.I take Oxycontin 60 mg 3x daily,Oxycodone 30 mg 3x daily,Dilaudid 4 mg PRN and Actiq(Fentnyl)PRN.Dilaudid is short-acting so it's better for breakthrough pain.Fentnyl is a very good pain med,quite strong at 80x stronger than morphine.I get the best results with Oxycontin.The important thing is keeping a steady level in your blood.It's not a med you can skip when pain is under control.