Different Manufacturers, same medications?
    whome is offline New Member

Default Different Manufacturers, same medications?

Hello,

I have a question about the medication that I'm on regarding the generic versions of it.

The doctor normally prescribes me Norco 10/325 due to extreme edema, and the pain that comes with that.

For as long as I can remember my big chain pharmacy store has been issuing a smaller pale yellow generic version of the drug. But last month they issued a larger white oblong pill with M367 on the side of it which I've found out is the correct medication but from a different manufacturer.

Now the question:

Is it possible that formulas of the same drug (Norco 10/325) can be different from two different manufacturers?

I ask because, this batch hasn't provided the same amount of pain relief as the pale yellow pills and I'm constantly sneezing (which for me is a sign of not taking the medication at all) and I feel edgy all the time.

I went back to the doctor and told him and he gave me a smaller prescription and said to go to another pharmacy and get the pale yellow pills that I've always taken and if those things go away then I have my answer. So I did, got the regular pale yellow pills and those feelings, sneezing, and edginess went away.

I was under the impression that all manufacturers must follow the same formula, and if they do then there really shouldn't be a difference, is this right or wrong?

Thanks,

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Hello,

I have a question about the medication that I'm on regarding the generic versions of it.

The doctor normally prescribes me Norco 10/325 due to extreme edema, and the pain that comes with that.

For as long as I can remember my big chain pharmacy store has been issuing a smaller pale yellow generic version of the drug. But last month they issued a larger white oblong pill with M367 on the side of it which I've found out is the correct medication but from a different manufacturer.

Now the question:

Is it possible that formulas of the same drug (Norco 10/325) can be different from two different manufacturers?

I ask because, this batch hasn't provided the same amount of pain relief as the pale yellow pills and I'm constantly sneezing (which for me is a sign of not taking the medication at all) and I feel edgy all the time.

I went back to the doctor and told him and he gave me a smaller prescription and said to go to another pharmacy and get the pale yellow pills that I've always taken and if those things go away then I have my answer. So I did, got the regular pale yellow pills and those feelings, sneezing, and edginess went away.

I was under the impression that all manufacturers must follow the same formula, and if they do then there really shouldn't be a difference, is this right or wrong?

Thanks,

Usually the prescriptions are not different to the point where it's noticeable. There can be a very small difference in some ingredients I believe to where it would only affect one person such as yourself more than most others. That is true with most generic meds. I think most people that take them have their own favorites if they have done it a long time especially. Just be careful as you know. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

day2day1 is offline New Member

Based on my own experience, I am not a medical doctor.

I just had the same experience with my generic medication, my pharmacy changed generic manufacturers , I didn't expect any difference. Much to my dismay there was a huge difference for me , I saw my GP and was told there is an amount of leway for compliance - I forget the percentage but she said if one generic is say the percentage up, and the other is the percentage down, it can make a difference. I am very sensitive to meds in general.

As soon as i started back on my regular generic, the following day I was fine.

As far as all my other generic pills being inter-changed with other generics, I have not had a problem.

Hope this helps

ldrake764 is offline New Member

I'm having this problem now. I picked up a new prescription for Hydrocodon/APAP 5/325. The pills looked different from what I've had in the past. In the past they worked well and helped tremendously with my pain. I checked with the pharmacy and found out that these were from a different manufacturer than the past prescriptions. They aren't helping as much and have given me some nausea and headaches. I've already talked to the pharmacy to see if I can get the next prescription from the previous manufacturer. I'm doing some research to see if others have had this problem.

just_a_mom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ldrake764 View Post
    I'm having this problem now. I picked up a new prescription for Hydrocodon/APAP 5/325. The pills looked different from what I've had in the past. In the past they worked well and helped tremendously with my pain. I checked with the pharmacy and found out that these were from a different manufacturer than the past prescriptions. They aren't helping as much and have given me some nausea and headaches. I've already talked to the pharmacy to see if I can get the next prescription from the previous manufacturer. I'm doing some research to see if others have had this problem.
    Idrake,

If you are searching around on the internet for info, I will spare you the spiel about FDA regs regarding variances in meds. If you are dying of curiosity, respond to this thread and will give you what I know.

I will say that nausea and headaches can be a sign of taking TOO MUCH opiate. 5mg of hydro isn't that much... have you tried to deal with your pain with just Tylenol and ibuprofen? As an ex-opiate addict, I can state with certainty that opiates should only be SHORT term.

just a mom

ldrake764 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by just_a_mom View Post
    Idrake,

If you are searching around on the internet for info, I will spare you the spiel about FDA regs regarding variances in meds. If you are dying of curiosity, respond to this thread and will give you what I know.

I will say that nausea and headaches can be a sign of taking TOO MUCH opiate. 5mg of hydro isn't that much... have you tried to deal with your pain with just Tylenol and ibuprofen? As an ex-opiate addict, I can state with certainty that opiates should only be SHORT term.

just a mom
    I feel certain that the nausea and headaches are not from too much opiate. It started exactly when I received this prescription from another manufacturer. Of course, if the pain could be dealt with by using Tylenol or Ibuprofen, I wouldn't take an opiate. I'm in treatment with a pain management clinic because of several medical reasons I can't take certain pain relievers (such as no NSAID drugs because I've had gastric bypass) I have a shoulder condition that is not permanent. It will pass and I'm working with this clinic during that period of time (hoping to resolve it with physical therapy and stay out of surgery if at all possible)

I do appreciate your words of warning. I know opiates come with risks. Living life in constant pain, being driven to depression and struggling to function are also difficult. I did wean off a while back when I had temporary relief from a cortisone shot so I know that I will need to work with my doctor at the end of this to wean off. It took me two weeks before and it wasn't easy but, I didn't suffer much from withdrawal symptoms like I did later when my family doctor suddenly stopped filling my prescription. I do know what both experiences are like and do respect the benefit and risks of the med I'm using.

My main question right now is how can prescriptions that are supposed to be identical, but from different manufacturers, work so differently? It's actually a little disappointing that I've finally found a great pain management doctor and this prescription has not helped as much as in the past.

Thanks again for your reply.