Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Difference between Norco and Vicodin (hydrocodone)
    Csue is offline Junior Member

Default Difference between Norco and Vicodin (hydrocodone)

Hi..
    I would like to know the difference between your common 500mg Vocodin (hydrocodone) and Norco. Just what is in Vicodin and what is in Norco? Which one is stronger?
    tia..csue*

Travisr is offline Junior Member

What the diffrence is the amount of tylenol and hydrocodne. The vicoden comes in 5/500 and 7.5/500 strenght. The norcos have less tylenol in them, meaning you can take more. I think they come in 7.5/325 and 10/325. So you COULD safely take 3 pills at a time. Personaly, I rather have the 5/500 vicodens because they seem to help my back pain more. IMO...

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

To clarify, if I may,

They both contain the exact same drug mixture, just in different proportions.

The way to tell which would be more pain relief would be to look at the actual numbers after the drug name. The first number is the amount of hydrocodone (the narcotic part) and the second number is the amount of acetaminophin (tylenol). That's the way to compare them.

uruth is offline New Member

I find that norco makes me more drowsy. Why

Quote Originally Posted by uruth View Post

The only reason you'd be drowsier on the norco is if there was a higher amount of hydrocodone in the mix. Compare the 1st number on the dosage strength. (In other words, 5/500 is half the hydrocodone of 10/500.)

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

unwanted78 is offline New Member

Narco also come in 5/325

unwanted78 is offline New Member

I know I'm used to 5/500 vicodin and my orthopedic Dr gave 5/325 narco. I had to take two to take the edge off the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by unwanted78 View Post
    I know I'm used to 5/500 vicodin and my orthopedic Dr gave 5/325 narco. I had to take two to take the edge off the pain.

Both of these pills have the same amount of hydrocodone - 5 mg. The only difference is the amount of Tylenol, which is the 2nd number.
    IveWokenNow likes this.

jojotwo is offline New Member

Norco (made by Watson Pharmaceuticals) has changed their formula very recently. They claim they only left out the yellow dye, but since the new formula without dye, the Norco makes me VERY sleepy and I feel totally drugged out on them. The company told me the DEA made them leave out the dye, but according to DEA, that is absolutely a lie. I also had a drug test after taking the new ones and I had a positive for "morphocodone" - a morphine derivative that, to my knowledge, I have not taken. I have to wonder if the Norco was either contaminated or the formula changed with the addition of morphocodone but they are saying it isn't a new formula to get around the FDA requirements for new drugs. I have Celiac and finding a pain medication now that does not make me drowsy or have gluten in it is beginning to be near impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by uruth View Post

jojotwo is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by unwanted78 View Post
    The new Norco also does not work on pain the way it used to.

zarajack is offline New Member

Norco and Vicodin are very similar prescription medications. Both medicines are used to relieve moderate to severe pain and both medications contain the prescription narcotic pain reliever known as hydrocodone, as well as the over-the-counter pain relieving agent known as acetaminophen.

mikewilson01 is offline Junior Member

Norco and Vicodin are very similar prescription medications. Both medicines are used to relieve moderate to severe pain and both medications contain the prescription narcotic pain reliever known as hydrocodone, as well as the over-the-counter pain relieving agent known as acetaminophen. The most significant differences between Norco and Vicodin is in the acetaminophen component of these medications.

Norco specifically uses a compound called Hydrocodone bitartrate. The tablet form of Norco can contain varying amounts of hydrocodone and acetaminophen. A physician will write a prescription for Norco and then indicate specifically how much hydrocodone each tablet should contain. Importantly, the acetaminophen component of Norco stays at 325 mg no matter the strength of hydrocodone used.
    carnita likes this.

westyjak is offline New Member

My Doc recently put me on generic Norco 10/325 for severe pain as a result of a gout flair up. I took one, and several hours later another. I made sure I had eaten a meal, since I didn't want to take this on an empty stomach. In the past, with bad flair ups, I'd get regular Vicodin. The regular old Vicodin worked great in getting rid of the pain, fairly quickly. This Norco, OMG, the pain was gone fast, but I felt wound up and weird. He gave me a script for 28 pills. After taking just two, I'll never take it again. I'm seeing my Doc in a few weeks and bringing these Norco's back to him and asking for regular Vicodin for my next flair up. Hopefully, I don't get a flair up, but I'd rather deal with the severe pain than deal with how weird this Norco made me feel. I've had straight hospital grade morphine after surgery. That had less of a weird effect on me than Norco. I don't know what's in this stuff, but I never want to feel that way again.

I've read recently that this drug is being hugely abused by Americans. I honestly don't get it. Maybe it's just me, but why would anyone want to feel so wound up and weird? If that's fun, I'll pass. The difference between Vicodin and Norco for me is HUGE and not good at all. Just my 2 cents.
    carnita likes this.

gpieratt is offline New Member

I also was prescribed the Norco 5/325 and it made me drugged out and sick to my stomach. I've never
    gotten sick from plain hydrocodone when I've had other surgeries. I too, would rather be in pain than to take this script again.

sailrgrl is offline New Member

I was just prescribed Norco 5/325 two weeks ago and my god it is awesome. Maybe it works differently depending on the type of pain? Mine was prescribed for neck pain and honestly within 5-10 mins I have complete 100% relief, however it doesn't last more than about 5-6 hrs. If I don't take it I have constant neck pain. It has never made me drowsy....if anything, it makes me feel a bit light hearted (not light headed).

I was originally prescribed Pamelor 10mg (which is I think is Nortriypteline?) but I was only taking that once at night and while it was supposed to make me drowsy, it kept me wide awake, not sure why. Plus, it didn't take the pain away completely so I stopped taking it.

creed5732 is offline New Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    To clarify, if I may,

They both contain the exact same drug mixture, just in different proportions.

The way to tell which would be more pain relief would be to look at the actual numbers after the drug name. The first number is the amount of hydrocodone (the narcotic part) and the second number is the amount of acetaminophin (tylenol). That's the way to compare them.
    if this is tru as i find it to be there is a ez solution just take a couple of Tylenol "acetaminophen" with your norco to achieve the same results as vicoden. I find this to work well! of course thats if the FDA and the government is not out to get us. and your not worried about liver dammage or GMO's or gluten free. but hay if your not in serious pain you should not be taking a narcotic anyways

alabamahammer101 is offline New Member

Default norco

I must say norco has not taken out the yellow your pharmacy must have just changed vendors I've been on norco now for 3 years 120 month 10/325 4 a day both rite aide and Cvs Carries the yellow norco and the yellows are stronger than the white
    So where ever your getting your info from is wrong.........

susiejo is offline New Member

Default Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by alabamahammer101 View Post
    I must say norco has not taken out the yellow your pharmacy must have just changed vendors I've been on norco now for 3 years 120 month 10/325 4 a day both rite aide and Cvs Carries the yellow norco and the yellows are stronger than the white
    So where ever your getting your info from is wrong.........
    How do you know if the yellow is stronger if you've never taken the white? And Walgreens most definitely caries them in white now. For quite a while now. So they do>in fact come in white now.>Perhaps your information is wrong?

IveWokenNow is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sailrgrl View Post
    I was just prescribed Norco 5/325 two weeks ago and my god it is awesome. Maybe it works differently depending on the type of pain? Mine was prescribed for neck pain and honestly within 5-10 mins I have complete 100% relief, however it doesn't last more than about 5-6 hrs. If I don't take it I have constant neck pain. It has never made me drowsy....if anything, it makes me feel a bit light hearted (not light headed).

I was originally prescribed Pamelor 10mg (which is I think is Nortriypteline?) but I was only taking that once at night and while it was supposed to make me drowsy, it kept me wide awake, not sure why. Plus, it didn't take the pain away completely so I stopped taking it.
    I just took Norco 5/325 for the first time three hours ago. I, too, have neck pain. I have 3 herniated discs. I just had the epidural injection two days ago and feel worse than before I got it. I took one of the Norco and I don't feel any different at all! I don't feel drowsy or anything. Bummer!

IveWokenNow is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by susiejo View Post
    How do you know if the yellow is stronger if you've never taken the white? And Walgreens most definitely caries them in white now. For quite a while now. So they do>in fact come in white now.>Perhaps your information is wrong?
    My Norco is white.

sweetchik108 is offline New Member

Question norco?

Quote Originally Posted by jojotwo View Post
    The new Norco also does not work on pain the way it used to.
    How does it work differently now?
    elementsindesign likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IveWokenNow View Post
    I just took Norco 5/325 for the first time three hours ago. I, too, have neck pain. I have 3 herniated discs. I just had the epidural injection two days ago and feel worse than before I got it. I took one of the Norco and I don't feel any different at all! I don't feel drowsy or anything. Bummer!
    5/325 is kind of a low dose...you might want to talk to your doc and tell her/him that this dose just isn't cutting it. :worried:

Quote Originally Posted by westyjak View Post
    My Doc recently put me on generic Norco 10/325 for severe pain as a result of a gout flair up. I took one, and several hours later another. I made sure I had eaten a meal, since I didn't want to take this on an empty stomach. In the past, with bad flair ups, I'd get regular Vicodin. The regular old Vicodin worked great in getting rid of the pain, fairly quickly. This Norco, OMG, the pain was gone fast, but I felt wound up and weird. He gave me a script for 28 pills. After taking just two, I'll never take it again. I'm seeing my Doc in a few weeks and bringing these Norco's back to him and asking for regular Vicodin for my next flair up. Hopefully, I don't get a flair up, but I'd rather deal with the severe pain than deal with how weird this Norco made me feel. I've had straight hospital grade morphine after surgery. That had less of a weird effect on me than Norco. I don't know what's in this stuff, but I never want to feel that way again.

I've read recently that this drug is being hugely abused by Americans. I honestly don't get it. Maybe it's just me, but why would anyone want to feel so wound up and weird? If that's fun, I'll pass. The difference between Vicodin and Norco for me is HUGE and not good at all. Just my 2 cents.
    I felt like that at first too, but not anymore. You're body will get used to it.

superfluousjargon is offline New Member

Hydrocodone also has Tylenol 325. Acetaminophen, also being a pain reliever, in large doses can cause liver damage over time. I recently asked my doctor to reduce my hydro from 10/500 to 10/325 although 4 times a day was 2000 mg tylenol and below the danger level it just seemed sensible to reduce a low as possible (there is also a hydrocodone dispensed without any acetaminophen) but it does help the hydro to work better.

LindaC49 is offline New Member

I've read where several people are taking 2 or 3 of these pills at a time?? I take Norco 10/325 only allowed 4 a day. This is for severe osteoarthritis. This is troubling to me and never seen any time that Norco was prescribed this way. I could be wrong though.
    elementsindesign likes this.

elementsindesign is offline New Member

Default I agree with you Norco made me feel drowsy and strange, Regular Vicodin worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gpieratt View Post
    I also was prescribed the Norco 5/325 and it made me drugged out and sick to my stomach. I've never
    gotten sick from plain hydrocodone when I've had other surgeries. I too, would rather be in pain than to take this script again.
    The Pharmacy changed my medication because they no longer carry hydro 500 and ace 500 so they gave me Norco 500 and ece 325. I feel weird and my stomach is sick. It doesn't fix my pain and I don't want to take more. Is this just a this new insurance thing..I hope they can change this tomorrow back to old medicine however it is no longer covered by my insurance..only the weird Norco is..wonder why?

elementsindesign is offline New Member

No I don't believe it works..I still have pain while he Vicodin worked fine..
    PatrynXX likes this.

lilmissj76 is offline New Member

im currently prescribed norco 10/325 up to 6 times daily. these pills make me feel nauseous and dizzy. i'd rather be in pain than feel like this.
    PatrynXX likes this.

PatrynXX is offline New Member

that would explain me hitting a brick wall this morning. Messed up my lumbar probably made worse waiting for the doc in a chair for almost an hour. entire left leg cramped up. they gave me the generic for Norco 5/325 1-2 every 4-6 hours. Last night I took one then an hour later another. really never killed the pain. I too 2 this morning and for near 4 hours felt like the usual Ritalin effect except I'm usually on Ritalin now. smh but got very sleepy this time. more like a zombie state and very hot. looked at the bottle and it didn't say Vicodin she said she was prescribing that. But got Norco instead. Last time I was on this stuff 1. very addicting. 2. killed my back pain. This time round oh no. and I've been sleepy all day didn't get much done. and someone says they might have put Morphine in there. No wonder the things in a safe. CVS put it in there after there was a sudden increase of people on it. (ie >>>> scripts??) anyone got a better solution to a pulled lumbar by all means. moms going in for back surgery next friday and I'd rather be better off than this..

Quote Originally Posted by jojotwo View Post
    Norco (made by Watson Pharmaceuticals) has changed their formula very recently. They claim they only left out the yellow dye, but since the new formula without dye, the Norco makes me VERY sleepy and I feel totally drugged out on them. The company told me the DEA made them leave out the dye, but according to DEA, that is absolutely a lie. I also had a drug test after taking the new ones and I had a positive for "morphocodone" - a morphine derivative that, to my knowledge, I have not taken. I have to wonder if the Norco was either contaminated or the formula changed with the addition of morphocodone but they are saying it isn't a new formula to get around the FDA requirements for new drugs. I have Celiac and finding a pain medication now that does not make me drowsy or have gluten in it is beginning to be near impossible.

footsieb is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by LindaC49 View Post
    I've read where several people are taking 2 or 3 of these pills at a time?? I take Norco 10/325 only allowed 4 a day. This is for severe osteoarthritis. This is troubling to me and never seen any time that Norco was prescribed this way. I could be wrong though.
    A few months ago, the federal government apparently changed the allowable dose of Tylenol in the Vicodin. I have been taking it for quite a while for severe osteoarthritis. It has always been a 5/500 mixture. It is now 5/325. The amount of Tylenol has been reduced to supposedly reduce the incident of liver damage FROM THE TYLENOL. The amount of hydrocodone is the same as it has been for years.

As for those who guzzle 2-3 pills at once. You are playing with fire. Hydrocodone is very addictable. It has been prescribed for me by 3 separate doctors. Each said the same thing. One tablet no more frequently that at 4 hour intervals. No more than 4 tablets per day.

Norco has taken the place of the 5/500 Vicodin. I find very little difference between the two. (This is per my pharmacist.) That includes the sleepiness everyone is writing about. I wish it made me sleepy. Any and all of you who are taking more than prescribed will more than likely regret it. As a retired nurse, the last thing I would do is take more. About 50 years ago, my father was diagnosed with severe arthritis. All they had to give him some relief in that era, was Aspirin - 4 tabs every 2 hours. His stomach survived, as it was his heart that was the fatal problem. RIP Daddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast