Diet pill interactions with current meds?
    Adrienneb is offline New Member

Default Diet pill interactions with current meds?

So here are a list of my current medication:
    citalopram (40 mg)
    lamotrigine (200 mg)
    Concerta (methylphenidate) (54 mg)
    Seroquel (quetiapine) (250 mg)

I'm looking for a weight loss supplement to help me out along with a lot of exercise and smarter eating choices.

Now, when I asked my psychiatrist about the interactions of my meds with a type of weight loss pill, he said he has never really looked into or talked to his other patients so he wasn't totally sure. However, he did look in his medical/pill book and saw that seroquel would possibly be a bad interaction with a weight supplement. He said it could either decrease the effectiveness or double it. The problem is, we only had a 20 minute meeting so we couldn't go through all the weight pills and interactions, so I was wondering if anyone knew a low risk/side effect pill.

I know you all aren't doctors and everything, but if you have any suggestions on a pill I can use the drug interaction program on this.

slattery is offline New Member

....Just be careful with weight loss pills in general. When I was young (and crazily anorexic), I experimented with weight loss pills quite a bit. At that time, there were pills on the market containing the chemical ingredient Dexedrine, whose objective was to speed up your metabolism, and cause you to become restless and angsty......to the degree that you would feel a compulsion to exercise or move around. In fact, some drug-dabbling kids used to get their hands on this drug simply for the "high" it might render.
    And IF such a pill is abused (as it was by me!); it will cause palpitations, insomnia (you'll be pacing the floor all night!), and acute alertness - to an abnormal degree. I am uncertain if this chemical ingredient is STILL used in diet pills; but if it is, I'm feeling that it is a chemical you would want to watch, if coupled with a bipolar or anti-psychotic drug. I'd be suspecting that it REALLY could negatively interact.
    If you are battling bipolar, have you considered trying Topomax? It is an off-label sometimes prescribed by doctors as a mood-stabilizer. The facts are not in for topomax; & to date it is not FDA approved for the successful treatment of this condition. But I do know that SOME psychiatrists will prescribe it. I am given to understand that it is a weight LOSS drug; and actually does most times cause weight loss by curbing the appetite. But if that would be feasible for you, pls. research this pill and it's side effects carefully. I read that there are some major side-effects, which might cause you to think twice before becoming involved with it. I don't actually need to lose weight right now, but take depakote which has a reputation for stacking the LB'S on, so I DID ask my doc about Topomax. But he shot it down....guess he will not prescribe an off-label drug. it's worth asking YOUR doc though! Good luck with it all, Kathleen

Adrienneb is offline New Member

I would consider it, but for the past 19 years of my life it has been a battle of figuring out the right combination of meds. We finally got it right about 7 or so years ago. Then this year I suffered some emotional trauma so we added the seroquel (I tried Abilify but I developed some nuero muscular issues, but luckily it went away). However I only plan to be on that another 2 or so years since it's an anti-psychotic.

My bipolar isn't severe, just minor, and I have rapid cycles. But if that pill causes insomnia and such alertness I agree with you that it wouldn't be a good match with my anti-psychotic since it causes quite a lot of drowsiness (so I take it at night) so I'm sure one of them would cancel out the other.

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by slattery View Post
    ....Just be careful with weight loss pills in general. When I was young (and crazily anorexic), I experimented with weight loss pills quite a bit. At that time, there were pills on the market containing the chemical ingredient Dexedrine, whose objective was to speed up your metabolism, and cause you to become restless and angsty......to the degree that you would feel a compulsion to exercise or move around. In fact, some drug-dabbling kids used to get their hands on this drug simply for the "high" it might render.
    And IF such a pill is abused (as it was by me!); it will cause palpitations, insomnia (you'll be pacing the floor all night!), and acute alertness - to an abnormal degree. I am uncertain if this chemical ingredient is STILL used in diet pills; but if it is, I'm feeling that it is a chemical you would want to watch, if coupled with a bipolar or anti-psychotic drug. I'd be suspecting that it REALLY could negatively interact.
    If you are battling bipolar, have you considered trying Topomax? It is an off-label sometimes prescribed by doctors as a mood-stabilizer. The facts are not in for topomax; & to date it is not FDA approved for the successful treatment of this condition. But I do know that SOME psychiatrists will prescribe it. I am given to understand that it is a weight LOSS drug; and actually does most times cause weight loss by curbing the appetite. But if that would be feasible for you, pls. research this pill and it's side effects carefully. I read that there are some major side-effects, which might cause you to think twice before becoming involved with it. I don't actually need to lose weight right now, but take depakote which has a reputation for stacking the LB'S on, so I DID ask my doc about Topomax. But he shot it down....guess he will not prescribe an off-label drug. it's worth asking YOUR doc though! Good luck with it all, Kathleen