Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes
Depressed ever since I can remember...Opiates for depression...PLEASE help!
    acapelo is offline New Member

Talking Depression, Opiates, Opiods, Misinformation

Hi to the original poster if you are reading this thread Please respond. My e-mail is acapelo12003@yahoo.com, Please write me and let me know how you are doing and what your theauptic level is on your medicine. Also I would like to know who your doctor is as I need help finding a good doctor myself. I am originally from Los Angeles Calif. myself and would move back there to get the help I need if I have too. I want to say first thank-you to Drugs.com for their forum so we can learn about meds., what the side effects are and the dangers of them. Second their is a lot of misinformation on these threads so take them with a grain of salt. I sympathize with you on your quest for help for your depression and am glad you have reached your goal for treatment and help to overcome your depression. I have had it all my life along with A.D.H.D., P.D.D., P.T.S.D., O.C.D., Aspergers with mild autism, and alcholism. I have been sober for twenty years now from my self medication for my depression and mental illness due to my childhood upbringing with a alcholic deaf father and a deaf mother also. I also have three herniated disc's due to my memory losses from my P.T.S.D., and making mistakes at work. Inadvertantly while seeing the doctor and being treated for my blown disc L5-S1 he prescribed me 10mg Valium twice a day for my severe nighmares while I was taking Oxycodone 10mg ER three times a day. The theapuetic effect for me was enormous, as I did not have any more nighmares and could remember the day before. I can relate to your nighmares as I have them constantly whenever I sleep, and forget everything from the day before. I took the Valium for four years and eventually quit them due to the pain of losing a job and waking up and crying every morning for two years. Eventually I tried to get the Valium back and was denied. Instead the doctor gave me Xanax which did not help me. I wish that I had stayed on the valium. Right now I am on Medicare and Medicaid and cannot find a doctor who will treat me with Oxycodone or Valium for my mental and physical pain here in Corpus Christi Texas. I did not overuse the medications as they were helping me. Once you get the proper theaputic effect of the medicine you will not have to go up in dosage to get the same effect. If you get the help you need from the medicine you will not abuse it or need more. As far as the eurphic effect from the meds., I think that is part of the effectiveness of the medicine helping to stop the pain. I did not really feel much of euphoria due to the medicine taking away the pain as in time it goes away anyway. I did not have to keep taking higher and higher doses of Oxycodone once I was at my theaputic level for my pain which was 30 mg. IR three times a day. My doctor moved and I could not find another doctor to treat me as the DEA comes down on the doctors and they are not wanting to have a triplicate license and dispense them. Also being dependant on meds., is o.k., as we are dependant on them to help us as we are depentant on our spouse for support. Their is nothing wrong with that. I am glad that you have finally recieved help for your severe depression. I did not know how debilitating my depression was untill I finally got help for it thru medication which was Valium. I have not had to do more than the 10mg twice a day for four years and it really helped me a lot. As far as subject being discussed I think that many people have depression and are not being treated for it. I have tired many other anti-depressants and they did not help me either. Many doctors want to put you on designer meds. to make more money off of you from the kickbacks. Anyway thanks for allowing me to post and hope this thread helps someone out there suffereing from severe depression which is deep rooted from their childhood with no way out and do not give up on looking for the help you need!!! Sincerely Yours, Daniel Stark

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Between high doses of valium and oxycodone, there is NO WAY to know what part of your depression is YOU - and what part is the narcotics and benzos. You would have to get clean of ALL of them to find out what your true self is - and what actually needs treatment.

You sure have a litany of labels and diagnosises, though - and feel fully justified to spend your life highly medicated by mood-altering, mind-altering drugs. It should be a huge red flag that no doctor wants to take on that kind of responsibility of prescribing you those medications; that should give you an idea how dangerous a situation you are in.

Instead, the fact that you are willing to actually RELOCATE just to find a doctor to give you the drugs you want... is horrifying.

You said you were sober... huh??? You routinely took 30mg of oxycodone and 20mg of valium each day, yet proclaimed 20 years of "sobriety"??? You have already admit to being an alcoholic - doesn't that alert you that you are an addict - and as one, can not safely take addictive drugs? It's all the same disease, just different chemicals. Same issue - same result.

God bless you, if that is the life you choose. But please, do not come onto a forum like this and proclaim how 'normal' a life dependent on drugs is to you. That kind of "advice" can be lethal to the next person reading it.

There IS another way to live - but that life takes time and effort, not the "quick fix" of a drug.

Ruth
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

acapelo is offline New Member

Talking Government Propaganda and Misinformation about medications

I am only going to respond to you in order so that others will not believe your misguided information what you have gone thru and done is not necessarily right for others, and what you have been taught thru your drug rehab. and counseling programs. Number one I knew that you were a basher and would bash my encouragement to others who need help. You should be banned from this website. Number two 10mg twice a day of valium and 30mg oxycodone three times a day is not a high dose of medication so get real. I am not highly medicated either. You are eroneous. Number three for thirty five years of my life I have suffered depression without intervention so I am sure I know who I am and how much the medication helps me and can help others. I don't think that you have found your cure yet so you have to bash others to feel better about yourself. As for my disabilities they are diagnosed by doctors of which you are not, and most of the medications they want to prescribe are designer drugs which they can make more in kickbacks then listening to the patient and giving them the right medications. Interestingly enough when I had good insurance the doctors did not care that I had a history of drug dependency. Number four The reason that most doctors will not prescribe triplicate medications due to governmental control and the Dea prosecuting doctors for helping their patients. I am not in a dangerous situation. Number five when you are in mental & physical pain and the doctors are afraid to treat you due to governmental control and a police country for financial gain when it is a medical problem is just plain wrong, and if I have to move to a another country to be pain free I will!! Number six I am still sober since November 18, 1988 and have only gone to doctors and taken the medicines they have prescribed as they were prescribed for my mental and physical pain, and am sure if it were unsafe for me they would not have prescribed them. Number seven I have not received necessary medications for the last two months and am miserably in severe mental and physical pain. It you call that normal you need your brain checked. My encouragement to others to obtain the help they need and the right medications that might help them is not lethal to them, but your misinformation is by telling them to just stay in pain. You are a pain with your govenmental and rehabilitative training and advice you are feeding others. Number eight it takes time and effort to find the right doctors and to get the right diagnoses and also the right medications, trial and error and it is not a quick fix. So once again you are very eroneous, So please go somewhere else to bash others who are trying to help people who have severe problems who are trying to find answers, not to be put down. Thank-You. I will not waste anymore time with you as you are not worth it!!!!!! Bye!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by acapelo View Post
    I am only going to respond to you in order so that others will not believe your misguided information what you have gone thru and done is not necessarily right for others, and what you have been taught thru your drug rehab. and counseling programs. Number one I knew that you were a basher and would bash my encouragement to others who need help. You should be banned from this website. Number two 10mg twice a day of valium and 30mg oxycodone three times a day is not a high dose of medication so get real. I am not highly medicated either. You are eroneous. Number three for thirty five years of my life I have suffered depression without intervention so I am sure I know who I am and how much the medication helps me and can help others. I don't think that you have found your cure yet so you have to bash others to feel better about yourself. As for my disabilities they are diagnosed by doctors of which you are not, and most of the medications they want to prescribe are designer drugs which they can make more in kickbacks then listening to the patient and giving them the right medications. Interestingly enough when I had good insurance the doctors did not care that I had a history of drug dependency. Number four The reason that most doctors will not prescribe triplicate medications due to governmental control and the Dea prosecuting doctors for helping their patients. I am not in a dangerous situation. Number five when you are in mental & physical pain and the doctors are afraid to treat you due to governmental control and a police country for financial gain when it is a medical problem is just plain wrong, and if I have to move to a another country to be pain free I will!! Number six I am still sober since November 18, 1988 and have only gone to doctors and taken the medicines they have prescribed as they were prescribed for my mental and physical pain, and am sure if it were unsafe for me they would not have prescribed them. Number seven I have not received necessary medications for the last two months and am miserably in severe mental and physical pain. It you call that normal you need your brain checked. My encouragement to others to obtain the help they need and the right medications that might help them is not lethal to them, but your misinformation is by telling them to just stay in pain. You are a pain with your govenmental and rehabilitative training and advice you are feeding others. Number eight it takes time and effort to find the right doctors and to get the right diagnoses and also the right medications, trial and error and it is not a quick fix. So once again you are very eroneous, So please go somewhere else to bash others who are trying to help people who have severe problems who are trying to find answers, not to be put down. Thank-You. I will not waste anymore time with you as you are not worth it!!!!!! Bye!!!!
    Apparently, I hit a nerve!!! I used to be just as angry and offended by advice when I was in the midst of my addictions, too. It's called "defensiveness" - and it speaks volumes.

I'll stand by my posts and my "reputation" on this site, thank you very much. If you did a wee bit of research of the help I give on this site, you'd see I am NOT a basher, not in the least. I do not come here to dally in bashing fellow addicts. I come here to help others who are struggling with drug addiction - period. I see you have posted exactly twice. Perhaps you don't know me in the least, aside from this one thread.

I've been clean and sober many years. When I post here, it is with a very clear head and a solid background, working in the field substance abuse as a professional. I've overcome one helluva lot in my lifetime, including chronic pain and a litany of "labels" and "diagnosises." I don't spout them here, as I personally find labels to be very constricting to one's personal growth. Too many people stay stuck in their cubicle of a label and never venture past it. All the medication in the world is not going to "fix" some things. Some things take time, take effort, take patience and education.

It's quite rare that I speak up against someone in this forum. In fact, this is one of the few threads in over 200 posts I've made, that I've come on strong against the advice being offered. That is because your kind of "advice" is outrageous.

If you choose to spend the rest of your life "numbed out" by valium and oxycodone, that's your business. (Just warn me before you go out in a car and kill someone I care for.) But when you come here trying to convince others that your way (via valium and oxycodone) is the right one - that's when I spoke up. I'll be damned if I'm going to idly sit by as someone dispenses such shallow, ill-conceived advice that could easily harm another person.

I stand my ground on my last post.

Ruth

NOTE: Review the drug information available through this site. Both are dangerous drugs. They are far more dangerous when used together. They are not intended for long-term use. Both are "highly addictive" especially in people who have already demonstrated a history of addiction (such as alcoholism). Both sedate the central nervous system and respiration, which can lead to a coma - or death.

Iwantoff2013 likes this.

spiralsue is offline New Member

Hi. I'm a 55 y.o. woman. My name is Susan. I have severe depression, OCD, GAD, & PTSD (kidnapped & raped). Have had all of these except PTSD since I was a child. They became prominent in the late 80's. Since then, been in weekly therapy, group therapy, and been given meds.

Tricyclics, MAOI's, SSRI's, & SNRI's. Taken all of these meds for the full amt. of time to reach full effectiveness. They've had no effect on me at all except for the following:

Prozac-jittery, Parnate-phys. ill. Under the effects of Paxil, almost lost my job while raising 2 children on my own. Was performing live classical music (piano). I was reading the music, & suddenly my fingers started playing gibberish. Been playing since I was 2 y.o., reading since 7 y.o. When this happened, I'd been reading for 33 yrs. (A side-note: Minored in psychology, my best friend is a retired psychologist, has refractory depression).

A couple of nites after this humiliating event (I'd been a professional teacher/performer in the community for about 20 yrs.), Paxil made me feel suicidal (for the 1st time ever). Forced myself to call a crisis line, someone came to my house to help me thru this.

(For those of you who think I may be lacking in spirituality, I DO have a satisfying belief system, but depression is depression).

After going thru the gamut of antidepressants for 23 yrs., I DID try to end my life, but stopped short of dying and had a friend take me to emergency.

A few yrs ago, had a severe shoulder injury which disabled my arm & hand: Now piano w/ only one hand, no more saxophone, flute, guitar. Instead of x-rays, MRI, phys. therapy, doc simply put me on Vicodin. I've been on disability for depression since 1999. W/ the "poor man's" insurance, been unable to get docs to do nothing except prescribe opiates.

After 1 yr on Vicodin, pharmacist recommended I switch to Norco, less chance of liver damage cuz of the smaller dosage of acetaminophen. 2 more years on pain meds.

Desperate for phys. pain relief w/o drugs, I went off the meds, sought the help of a chiropractor. I went in w/ the 1 original pain & came out w/ 3 additional pain sites right after the 7th visit of a 10-week commitment to him. Back on pain meds.

One day that will go down in history, I took Norco for the phys. pain. (BTW, I've NEVER had to increase the dosage, contrary to what some of you swear by - same w/ 1 mg of benzos for anxiety for 23 yrs - I'll swear to what ever you'd like me to swear to, polygraph, you name it). On this day, which was busy/hectic w/ holiday celebrations, accidentally took an extra Norco. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE, I felt relief from depression, OCD, and PTSD. What a shock. Didn't feel high, just acted the way people w/o depression act. I wanted to get outta bed, take care of personal hygiene, socialize, go outside.

So, after 23 yrs of 4 types of antidepressants, this is where I stand. When I've taken an extra Norco for mental pain, people comment on how clear, happy, outgoing I am. I KNOW my mind and body, and have heard the feedback from friends/family. They don't know I'm back on Norco - they think I'm off of it cuz they don't know the chiropractor quadrupled my pain. My husband (8 yrs) finally confessed that he likes who I am, that I don't act high, just normal, everyday Susan. BTW, we don't use alcohol, street drugs, or coffee. He doesn't even take OTC drugs.

Does anyone know of a psychiatrist who will prescribe opiates for mental pain? I'm on the west coast but will scrape up the $ to travel to someone who will understand/believe what I'm dealing with.

I know that acapelo posted his/her email earlier to see if the original poster of this thread could connect him/her with a doc who could help.

Thanks to drugs.com, and thanks for reading this. I'd appreciate any help. You can respond to me here, or my email is: spiralsue@hotmail.com.

Kind regards,
    Susan
    star444 likes this.

rooferman is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by methadonfriendly826 View Post
    that's not 100 percent accurate. Someone i know has been taking xanax for over 10 years for high blood pressure and he has never become addicted. In fact he doesnt even like taking them unless he has to and he's been taking them for over 10 years. Now i understand what you mean when you say they are addicting yes that is true some people do get addicted. but not everybody has an addictive personality and to be quite honest the people who do abuse meds ruine it for the people who do not and just take them as prescribed.
    He's been taking them for 10 years and says he's not addicted? Ok, lets see him go cold turkey and see what happens.

Exclamation To Susan (spiralsue)

Dear Susan,

After 23 years of regular benzo use, it is no wonder why your depression is resistant to ordinary medications. I pray, for your sake, you read Dr. Ashton's site on this topic: http://www.benzo.org.uk/index.htm Dr. Ashton is considered one of the foremost worldwide authorities on benzodiazepenes.

Rather than compound your benzo use with greater opiate use, I hope you'll be open-minded to reading through this site, at the very least, the FAQs listed there. It clearly states:

"IF MY DOCTOR HAS PRESCRIBED A BENZODIAZEPINE AND INSTRUCTED ME TO TAKE IT FOR A MEDICAL AND/OR PSYCHOLOGICAL REASON, IS THERE ANY REASON I SHOULD DISREGARD MY DOCTOR'S ADVICE AND DISCONTINUE THE BENZODIAZEPINE?

Yes, there may be. Unfortunately, there are many well-intended physicians who simply do not understand the seriousness of long-term benzodiazepine use.

Regular benzodiazepine use almost always causes some degree of deterioration in cognitive functioning, which progresses with continued use.

Long term benzodiazepine use also causes lethargy and decreased energy levels that result in impairment in work productivity and disinclination towards exercise.

Furthermore, benzodiazepines, and all other classes of sedatives, frequently cause and/or worsen depression. This is why people are often given antidepressants after being given a benzodiazepine for anxiety.

Benzodiazepines can also cause what is sometimes referred to as a "emotional anaesthesia", or "emotional blunting," in which the user's ability to experience powerful emotions is impaired....Long-term benzodiazepine users often describe their experience as "sleepwalking through life".

Benzodiazepine use can also cause what are referred to as "paradoxical" symptoms...including increased anxiety..."

Further, it states:
    "However, one effect is common to virtually all users: a physical dependency will eventually form.

I can not IMAGINE taking this medication for 23 years, even if taken completely as directed. You are physically addicted, and quite likely, psychologically addicted as well. [Incidentally, I NEVER abused my prescription for benzos, either - but still, my body was dependent on them, and I had to endure withdrawal to stop them.] According to Dr. Ashton, that's inevitable. Withdrawal will be difficult, and must be done carefully, under close supervision.

On top of this, you are taking Norco - a powerful opiate, that also lends itself toward depression. Wow. The combination of both is CERTAINLY a major factor in your drug-resistant depression. Those 4 anti-depressants that you have tried didn't have a chance in the world of helping, as long as you were continuing to take the benzodiazepenes.

Before you jump to increase the norcos, get to know what these current medications are doing to you. It is no wonder it is difficult to find a psychiatrist willing to prescribe norco for depression - it is NOT medically advisable to do. That ought to say something to you.

I pray you read through Dr. Ashton's site, and take heed of his information. God bless.

Ruth

diane1123 is offline Junior Member

My mom has been on hydros for 12 years and she takes the meds just like the doc ordered them, anyone that has been taking any drug for that long is addicted to the drug physically and mentally addicted, allthougth she takes the meds just like the doc ordered them, i dont care what other people say, just because someone can take there meds without over doing it does not mean that they are not addicted
    D!ANE

JkStraw is offline New Member

Default So happy 4 U- but When Life Looks Like Easy Street Danger is at Your Door!

I had pain problems and have been treated for pain with opiates - now when trying to get off them they leave me with thoughts of suicide and soooo much depression. So, while I am sooooooo happy for you, be very careful since your body will require more to sustain the same effects after time. You WILL NOT want to go off these EVER since your depression will probably increase 10000x due to the receptors for the opiates not being filled, on top of what you currently have in terms of current depression and what is causing it. I do not want to hear you say you are having to take more to sustain the euphoria - that is not the word you want to use - normalcy and happiness is what you need. Opiates are dangerous and addictive and if not taken correctly - or where one thinks ' if one makes me feel this happy two will be better' is the wrong way to go.
    Although, God is not the end all of answers, that for sure - a cause for wars, guaranteed and obvious. However, to think that faith in GOD will help someone with your obviously medical conditions that requires and needs treatment is ridiculous and self-serving to those didnt/dont have the serious nature that you obviously exhibit. So, do what helps you best, but monitor your treatment with a reputable doctor and dont let the new drug dealers of America take over your life. Enjoy your new found happiness, however, proceed with caution in every step of your life.
    Go out and fly a kite on a nice day or watch a sunset. It all evolved for us to enjoy and science can be a marvelous thing. However, there are people who want to make money selling prescriptions in these days. Make sure you know and are seeing the most/best highly trained doctor who prescribes your medications and has YOUR best interests in mind.
    I lived in Newport Beach for years - I hope if you get the chance you will learn how to surf and go do things like that with your new found freedom.
    Peace and Love

spiralsue is offline New Member

Default To artiste658/Ruth

Ok. I read the whole link you posted. Happy?
    I made an error in my previous post, and will no longer post here. I may read posts, but will no longer contribute. My error was that I've been on benzos for 19 yrs; 4 yrs AFTER being given antidepressants. So, 23 yrs on antidepressants, & didn't just take 4 antidepressants, PERIOD, as you stated, but was given MANY different antidepressants of each of those 4 classes of antidepressants. Depression started BEFORE severe panic attacks; suffocating-type breathing, almost checked out completely, twice. FORTUNATELY, was in the presence of therapists when these first 2 episodes occured, (1st time private, 2nd time group) and needed assistance from therapists both times. Medics were on the way). To get you up-to-date, was just weaned off of Cymbalta after 3 months on it, after experiencing migraines for THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. I know what they are because my Dad had them, as does my best friend/psychologist. My psychiatrist doesn't know what to do now. She never even made a follow-up app't. for me. This is the first time I've EVER had a psych doc do THAT. She thought for sure that the Cymbalta would work. During our last visit, when I told her that it was (at the time) having NO effect, she seemed annoyed with me FOR MY HONESTY. And she swears that the 1/2-1mg tab/day of klonopin (which I take only as needed) that she prescribes has no "cancelling out" effect on Cymbalta. She's young, has studied in Europe and UC Berkeley. Have you ever been to Europe? I have, and they have quite different views there on psych. meds. And, remember, I minored in psychology at a prestigious university on the East coast. Actually, I was lucky to be in excellent public schools there, and was able to BEGIN my studies in psychology and psychiatry IN THE EIGHTH GRADE. Susan

Quote Originally Posted by spiralsue View Post
    Ok. I read the whole link you posted. Happy?
    I made an error in my previous post, and will no longer post here. I may read posts, but will no longer contribute. My error was that I've been on benzos for 19 yrs; 4 yrs AFTER being given antidepressants. So, 23 yrs on antidepressants, & didn't just take 4 antidepressants, PERIOD, as you stated, but was given MANY different antidepressants of each of those 4 classes of antidepressants. Depression started BEFORE severe panic attacks; suffocating-type breathing, almost checked out completely, twice. FORTUNATELY, was in the presence of therapists when these first 2 episodes occured, (1st time private, 2nd time group) and needed assistance from therapists both times. Medics were on the way). To get you up-to-date, was just weaned off of Cymbalta after 3 months on it, after experiencing migraines for THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. I know what they are because my Dad had them, as does my best friend/psychologist. My psychiatrist doesn't know what to do now. She never even made a follow-up app't. for me. This is the first time I've EVER had a psych doc do THAT. She thought for sure that the Cymbalta would work. During our last visit, when I told her that it was (at the time) having NO effect, she seemed annoyed with me FOR MY HONESTY. And she swears that the 1/2-1mg tab/day of klonopin (which I take only as needed) that she prescribes has no "cancelling out" effect on Cymbalta. She's young, has studied in Europe and UC Berkeley. Have you ever been to Europe? I have, and they have quite different views there on psych. meds. And, remember, I minored in psychology at a prestigious university on the East coast. Actually, I was lucky to be in excellent public schools there, and was able to BEGIN my studies in psychology and psychiatry IN THE EIGHTH GRADE. Susan
    I reread my previous post - and can not understand what I said that offended you - but clearly, you didn't like what I had to say. My post was not intended as a judgement or attack; it was out of true concern that I wrote. I have nothing to gain by belittling you, and, in truth, nothing to gain by helping you. I'm just trying to pass on what I've learned... that literally saved my life... take it or leave it. God bless.

Blissicodone is offline New Member

Sorry for Resurrecting an old thread but i simply couldn't stand the ignorance that artist was spewing out of his/her mouth and made an account just to tell her/him that. look if the person has tried all the other "conventional" methods of treating their depression and none of them have worked, why is it so hard for you to accept that an opiate is doing what the anti- depressants and other medications are supposed to do? In all honesty it really does seem like you have a superiority complex and get a kick out of vomiting all of your non nonsensical "advise" and your so called "experience" on this forum thinking that your saving peoples lives. But i digress if people think and feel and actually see an improvement in their lives from taking opiates without feeling the need to get a "high" from them and are able to control their dose and keep it stable then why not let them?

hugs and kisses from the opium and marijuana smoking jesus
    Last edited by Blissicodone; 06-22-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissicodone View Post
    Sorry for Resurrecting an old thread but i simply couldn't stand the ignorance that artist was spewing out of his/her mouth and made an account just to tell her/him that. look if the person has tried all the other "conventional" methods of treating their depression and none of them have worked, why is it so hard for you to accept that an opiate is doing what the anti- depressants and other medications are supposed to do? In all honesty it really does seem like you have a superiority complex and get a kick out of vomiting all of your non nonsensical "advise" and your so called "experience" on this forum thinking that your saving peoples lives. But i digress if people think and feel and actually see an improvement in their lives from taking opiates without feeling the need to get a "high" from them and are able to control their dose and keep it stable then why not let them?

hugs and kisses from the opium and marijuana smoking jesus
    If my post from 15 months ago can irritate and enrage you enough to create an account and post your critique, then feel free to post away. I hope it relieved some of your annoyance to evaluate my education and pass judgement on my knowledge, as it sure looks like you need to let some steam out.

My comments are not subjective opinions or anecdotal theories of possible difficulties - it's based on bona fide facts about the basic nature of narcotics. I don't have any superiority complex; I do have many years of education and experience in the substance abuse field. If someone's knowledge in a specific field comes across to you as a "superiority complex," it sounds to me like your problem is with you, not me.

And your signature line speaks volumes.
    Robert_325 likes this.

Bear49 is offline New Member

You stated you have lived a life of misery up to the opiates and nothing else works. If your depression was severe I am sure you were at risk of suicide.Keep in mind, well intentioned advice will not prevent suicide in any way, shape, form or fashion. If I am depressed to the point of suicide I go with results not theory. Someone that has not experienced severe depression has no idea the misery, they mistakenly assume they do. You better go with what works for you. Would you rather have a shorter happy life or a long miserable one ? No one has to suffer your pain and have nothing to lose if you live or die. A person suffering with severe depression with no relief has nothing to lose. They are already dead, just still breathing.

giantcatlover is offline New Member

Default Please contact me

I am very interested in your story. I have a brother who in on the verge of suicide if he doesn't get the opiates he desperatly needs. I would like to talk to you more in depth.

TabithaNY is offline New Member

Hi All,
    I'm new to this site and stumbled across this thread. I've been suffering from major depression an anxiety for over 20 years.
    I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Currently I'm taking Paxil 60mg, Serzone 200mg, Klonopin 2mg and Abilify 5 mg.
    Last year I had a total hip replacement and was taking morphine and oxycodone for about 2 months. I was then put on Vicodin for a few months.
    I can tell you from experience, opiates do help with depression. I'm now off pain meds and back to feeling miserable.
    I have to admit, I will take a Vicodin once in a while for my depression and it helps tremendously.
    I'm on so many meds and have so many side effects, I can stand it any more.
    Some of these meds are very addictive and I'm wondering what they are doing to my body.
    I'm happy to see research being done on opiates and depression, I feel there is a therapeutic use for these drugs. People bring up addiction, when it comes to opiates. Heck, I would rather be addicted to something that helps rather then being addicted to a drug that doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by TabithaNY View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm new to this site and stumbled across this thread. I've been suffering from major depression an anxiety for over 20 years.
    I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Currently I'm taking Paxil 60mg, Serzone 200mg, Klonopin 2mg and Abilify 5 mg.
    Last year I had a total hip replacement and was taking morphine and oxycodone for about 2 months. I was then put on Vicodin for a few months.
    I can tell you from experience, opiates do help with depression. I'm now off pain meds and back to feeling miserable.
    I have to admit, I will take a Vicodin once in a while for my depression and it helps tremendously.
    I'm on so many meds and have so many side effects, I can stand it any more.
    Some of these meds are very addictive and I'm wondering what they are doing to my body.
    I'm happy to see research being done on opiates and depression, I feel there is a therapeutic use for these drugs. People bring up addiction, when it comes to opiates. Heck, I would rather be addicted to something that helps rather then being addicted to a drug that doesn't help.
    It was another post (that has fortunately been deleted by the DDCMod) that brought me back to this thread. But once here, I read this post and wanted to mention something, in response.

There is a world of difference between drug dependency and drug addiction. The antidepressants you mention lend themselves toward dependency - not addiction. Dependence occurs when a person experiences physical withdrawal symptoms when they stop the drug. Their body has become "dependent" upon the drug to function normally.

The major difference that denotes drug addiction is the mental preoccupation with using the drug - it's the "obsessive-compulsive" piece that is not present with simple drug dependence. This obsession to use the drug is the defining difference that spells addiction. This does not occur with anti-depressants.

You can not possibly understand the depths of turmoil that addiction to a drug will bring to your life - if all you've experienced is drug dependency. With addiction, the drug becomes the #1 focus of your days; it comes before anything else.

The one drug that you mentioned that falls into either category is klonopin. This drug is highly addictive, and also lends itself to swift dependency. Klonopin is a benzodiazepene drug, and is intended ONLY for short term use, in acute anxiety.

If you are experiencing profound depression, klonopin is likely to be a major culprit. These drugs (benzos) often rebound over time, and actually increase the symptoms that we were aiming to control. Klonopin also fuels depression. Think about it; its tranquilizing effect is a close cousin to depression.

Long before I'd offer myself as a "guinea pig" to use powerful, addictive opiates to fight depression, I would discuss how to go about stopping the klonopin with my doctor. A long, supervised tapering is necessary, but you may find that once the klonopin is out of your body, much of your depression has resolved itself.

In the meantime, I suggest you enter all these meds into the "drug interactions checker" on this site, as I wonder how these different meds are interacting with each other. it sounds to me as if this mix may cause a serious risk for "serotonin syndrome" and/or depression of your central nervous system.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

prorida is offline New Member

I did not read any of the posts here, but if you are a >>>>>> or opiate addict, and you really want to get depressed, just wait until you find out what is in store if you ever go to have surgery !!! Wheeeew!

Pro Rida, MD.

angeinbama is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by prorida View Post
    I did not read any of the posts here, but if you are a >>>>>> or opiate addict, and you really want to get depressed, just wait until you find out what is in store if you ever go to have surgery !!! Wheeeew!

Pro Rida, MD.
    That is the most ignorant statement I have ever heard from a so-called medical professional.

Quote Originally Posted by angeinbama View Post
    That is the most ignorant statement I have ever heard from a so-called medical professional.

IF this "prorida" person is a medical professional (and we have no way of knowing), she could use a few dozen classes on the topic of THE DISEASE OF ADDICTION - as well as learning how to explain her point. I can't even decipher what her "Wheeeew!" message means.

Just looked at her history to read her other post on this forum - and WOW - it's even more ignorant!!!

If I sign my post as "President Ruth" - does that make me a president?!?!? Never mind, this week, I'll settle for this one...

Queen Ruth... lol

Sunny mom likes this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

samuel50 is offline New Member

Involve yourself in meditation or just close your eyes in front of god and think of him will help to reduce your mental stress.

banditman is offline New Member

I have read through this whole thread. Opiates have been used for thousands of years for depression. Many studies have been done on the subject that show that it does indeed work. Obviously from most of the people who have posted on this thread shows proof of that.

I have had extreme depression my whole life and PTSD. I tried everything just as many of you have to no avail. I hurt my back when I was 30 years old and was prescribed hydrocodone. I have been using it for 15 years now and all I can say is it has worked for me. I use no other medication,or drugs of any kind. I haven't had to up the dose. I'm still on the same dosage as I was when I first started it. I don't even have to take it everyday. I can only speak for myself that its been a lifesaver for me. My mom has also been on it for 10 years now with no problems. It obviously works for many people. If you've tried everything else and your still living in misery you've got nothing to lose. There is no reason to live that way. It may be what works for you too. Only you can know what works best for you as we are all fighting our own unique battles.

God bless.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-28-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Hubertes is offline Banned

Hi All,
    Like to share some effective tips to beat depression.
    Talk with your family and friends to share your problems, get organize and engage in daily physical activities. Accept the things you cannot change and practice giving back. Remember to laugh and try not to worry. Quit alcohol smoking and caffeine and get enough sleep.

star444 is offline New Member

Default Same boat

Quote Originally Posted by Opiates_for_depression!? View Post
    With all due respect to everyone who disagreed with my taking opiates for depression, I think I understand. However! I don't think you guys do, when depression is so deeply rooted that it adversely affects every part of my life. I also have OCD, and anxiety, and there are also days where I do not leave the house.

Carina, I have to say that I not only sympathize, but empathize with you, as it sounds like I'm going through a lot of the same problems you are going through yourself. I feel badly for you, as I KNOW what it's like!

I'm 35 now, and if anything, I am angry that I did not find the opiates sooner! I know, I know, I know I am totally addicted, but I actually DID quit for a few months, and it was astoundingly "easy".

I simply refuse...I refuse to live in pain all of my life, and the opiates simply help a great deal! So until there is something new I can try, I will remain on them. I actually found two doctors (one in Europe, one here in the U.S.) who are willing to prescribe me my medication.

And again, for me, it's not about getting high, or having to take more and more and more of these drugs. I take the fact that I'm addicted seriously, but the benefit I gain from taking opiates FAR outweighs the fact that I'm addicted to them.

I have actually found several people on the Internet who are in the same boat as I. Carina, if you'd like, send me a PM/email if you'd like to discuss this further in private, or at least like-minded people.

To all others: I really appreciate your kind words, but you just don't understand. And you know what, be glad! Be glad that you don't. Your opinion as to this subject may be different if you felt the brutal onslaught of depression on a daily...hell, even hourly basis.

Yake care everyone. Life is GOOD! For some of us, it just takes drastic steps like these to be able to say that and mean it and believe it!

Peace!

Carina, feel free to send me a PM to discuss this further.
    I am new here, and am not sure if I am typing in the right place. I just want to say that I agree with you. I am in the same boat, and you are right; these other folks just don't get it. I would rather be addicted to something that makes me able to live life than be "all natural" and feeling like >>>> every day, or doing massive amounts of therapeutic suggestions only to have them "work" once in a blue moon. Screw all that. I wish I could find a doctor to help me, too. Until then, I am stuck dealing with shady dealers and stupid prices... I would rather not do it this way, but I just don't want to live by just existing, I want to LIVE.

star444 is offline New Member

If that actually worked, then don't you think we all would be doing it?

humbleservant is offline New Member

Smile I understand! We all have unique genes, life experiences, and brain structures.

To all that have struggled for years... I truly empathize and support you. You have a right to be functional and happy!

I have struggled with this same issue with depression, anxiety, and opiate therapy...

-It's true that opiates are dangerous in general, but they also have been used therapeutically throughout history.
    -Opiates have been shown to be one of the only remedies for learned helplessness.
    -Proceed with caution in choosing your opiate. I would avoid all street drugs and pain pills.
    *I've seen a person in my family that was crippled by severe depression, anxiety, and PTSD come back to life from Suboxone therapy. It was truly a miracle. This person was severely abused as a child and went through years of therapy, antidepressants, spiritual guidance, etc.

For those that are automatically against opiate therapy, please read on...

First, it's important to understand that we all have a unique brain structure that responds to stress in different ways. PET, SPECT, MRI, and CT scans show the differences in people with different genes, childhood experiences, socioeconomic status, and situational stress. Many personality disorders have been mapped out by scientists. Try reading a book called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life". You'll see that we have less control over our emotions and personality than what we'd ideally like. We'd all certainly like to be able to choose to be the happiest, most functional, intelligent, charismatic, creative, and funny person possible. But most adults realize we all fall short in some areas. Some of us have serious issues to contend with.

We all have the right to be happy and functional. If your honest evaluation of all the treatment has shown that you function best with opiate therapy, then I think you have a right to proceed. But proceed with caution. I would recommend Suboxone, as it has a ceiling, so once you reach a therapeutic level, taking more will not make you get high. Some people still abuse it, but it's considered safer than most other opiates.

Also, most of the SSRI antidepressants have undesirable side effects, and they can be very difficult to taper off. Some SSRIs even can cause increased anxiety, depression, or suicidal thoughts.

Some people mentioned that you should go to church, which can be helpful as it can provide spiritual love as well as a social support group. However, people with severe depression and anxiety often have a biological component that interferes with social activity. A person with Social Anxiety or OCD may find going to church unpleasant, or they may not be able to reap the rewards of being in a spiritual environment.

Due to childhood traumas and abuse, and maybe genetics, I have struggled with many of the same things you mentioned. I also found that opiates make me the most happy and functional. However, due to fear of their addictive potential, I tapered off of opiates. After doing so, I found myself right back where I was before. A doctor I know thinks I would function better on Suboxone, so I'm wrestling with the same issue you originally mentioned.

Remember that there is a difference between addiction and dependency. Most people on modern antidepressants are dependent upon them and will go into withdrawal if stopped suddenly.

I would say that opiate therapy is a personal issue, that a person should consider cautiously, but with the mindset that we have only 1 life and we should have the right to live in the way that enables us to be happy, productive, and able to cope with the stress of life in a healthy way.

Finally, I would recommend a book called "The Depression Cure". Following the advice and research will at least put you at your best if you choose not to use opiates.

Hypnotherapy can also change your subconscious beliefs. If you have a strong desire for a change to yourself, a hypnotherapist can program your mind to take that belief to a very deep level. I've seen this type of hypnosis cure chronic pain, and nervous habits like smoking and knuckle popping. Look at a book called "The Biology of Belief". There's research from Stanford showing that changes to subconscious beliefs can actually activate or deactivate certain genes.

Best wishes.

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum, so I don't know what to expect. If you're reading this, I thank you for taking some time out of your life, and I'd be extremely grateful for any help or guidance anyone can hopefully provide me.

I have suffered from Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), severe Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Body Dismorphic Disorder (BDD), and Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) ever since I was 15 years old. I am now 35, and I have tried, literally,...EVERYTHING!

I've been diagnosed with the above depressive disorders by MULTIPLE psychiatrists on both coasts, as well as internationally for TWO DECADES!

I've gone through the usual suspects, such as all (I mean ALL of them when I say all) of the SSRI's (Paxil, Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor) for my depression. I've also been prescribed, mostly in vein also, Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, and Oxazepam for my anxiety.

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing. Little to No benefit. Just plenty of side effects!

Psychotherapy (3 times a WEEK for YEARS, and THOUSANDS of dollars worth) helped to a small degree. However, nowhere near to an extent that one could consider successful.

Three years ago, I came across a German newspaper article, which outlined that there are physicians who deal with patients who are abnormally severely depressed, such as myself, and treat them with opiates.

I actually found a doctor in Germany who has been prescribing opiates for me, and it has been a LIFESAVER!!! At LONG last, I was free, and I was able to enjoy my life. I was very closely monitored to see if I got addicted to the point where I would need more and more every day, but luckily, I never needed a dosage adjustment after an appropriate dose was found. I take them at the SAME TIME each day, never more, never less. I don't get the euphoric feeling that I've been reading about a lot either.

I can just BE OK...for the first time in my life, which has been miserable throughout my teenage years, and early adulthood.

I'm sure a lot of doctors look at this as preposterous, but if you had to live my life, you would look for what I realize is a somewhat unorthodox type of therapy, but it WORKS! It...just...WORKS!

Have any of you experienced similar situations?? Have you been able to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe opiates for your depression?

PHYSICIANS: If you're reading this, can you please either contact me by way of Private Message, or in the forum here and let me know if you would be so kind as to see me in person, and make your own assessment.

I am willing to fly to ANY of the 50 states, if that's what it takes. I DESPERATELY want to live my life, and although I can continue to travel to Europe to get my prescription (usually 4 months' worth at a time), and come back to L.A., which is what I've been doing, I would really like to find a doctor who is willing to help me here in the United States.

A couple of additional brief facts about me: I do not drink. I do not smoke. I do not do any illicit drugs. Hell, I don't even drink coffee. And I'm tired of hearing how it's so "silly of me to be depressed at all" because I have so many things going for me in the way of looks, success in what I do for a living, etc.

I honestly honestly just want to LIVE without having to board a transcontinental, and transatlantic flight to Europe where I've found that one doctor who has been amazing to me.

I would love to get in touch with a doctor here in the U.S., even if it's only for a consultation/assessment. Again, I'm located in the Los Angeles area, but I'm willing to fly to ANY state.

Thank you so much for listening!

humbleservant is offline New Member

To all that have struggled for years... I truly empathize and support you. You have a right to be functional and happy!

I have struggled with this same issue with depression, anxiety, and opiate therapy...

-It's true that opiates are dangerous in general, but they also have been used therapeutically throughout history.
    -Opiates have been shown to be one of the only remedies for learned helplessness.
    -Proceed with caution in choosing your opiate. I would avoid all street drugs and pain pills.
    *I've seen a person in my family that was crippled by severe depression, anxiety, and PTSD come back to life from Suboxone therapy. It was truly a miracle. This person was severely abused as a child and went through years of therapy, antidepressants, spiritual guidance, etc.

For those that are automatically against opiate therapy, please read on...

First, it's important to understand that we all have a unique brain structure that responds to stress in different ways. PET, SPECT, MRI, and CT scans show the differences in people with different genes, childhood experiences, socioeconomic status, and situational stress. Many personality disorders have been mapped out by scientists. Try reading a book called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life". You'll see that we have less control over our emotions and personality than what we'd ideally like. We'd all certainly like to be able to choose to be the happiest, most functional, intelligent, charismatic, creative, and funny person possible. But most adults realize we all fall short in some areas. Some of us have serious issues to contend with.

We all have the right to be happy and functional. If your honest evaluation of all the treatment has shown that you function best with opiate therapy, then I think you have a right to proceed. But proceed with caution. I would recommend Suboxone, as it has a ceiling, so once you reach a therapeutic level, taking more will not make you get high. Some people still abuse it, but it's considered safer than most other opiates.

Also, most of the SSRI antidepressants have undesirable side effects, and they can be very difficult to taper off. Some SSRIs even can cause increased anxiety, depression, or suicidal thoughts.

Some people mentioned that you should go to church, which can be helpful as it can provide spiritual love as well as a social support group. However, people with severe depression and anxiety often have a biological component that interferes with social activity. A person with Social Anxiety or OCD may find going to church unpleasant, or they may not be able to reap the rewards of being in a spiritual environment.

Due to childhood traumas and abuse, and maybe genetics, I have struggled with many of the same things you mentioned. I also found that opiates make me the most happy and functional. However, due to fear of their addictive potential, I tapered off of opiates. After doing so, I found myself right back where I was before. A doctor I know thinks I would function better on Suboxone, so I'm wrestling with the same issue you originally mentioned.

Remember that there is a difference between addiction and dependency. Most people on modern antidepressants are dependent upon them and will go into withdrawal if stopped suddenly.

I would say that opiate therapy is a personal issue, that a person should consider cautiously, but with the mindset that we have only 1 life and we should have the right to live in the way that enables us to be happy, productive, and able to cope with the stress of life in a healthy way.

Finally, I would recommend a book called "The Depression Cure". Following the advice and research will at least put you at your best if you choose not to use opiates.

Hypnotherapy can also change your subconscious beliefs. If you have a strong desire for a change to yourself, a hypnotherapist can program your mind to take that belief to a very deep level. I've seen this type of hypnosis cure chronic pain, and nervous habits like smoking and knuckle popping. Look at a book called "The Biology of Belief". There's research from Stanford showing that changes to subconscious beliefs can actually activate or deactivate certain genes.

Best wishes.

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum, so I don't know what to expect. If you're reading this, I thank you for taking some time out of your life, and I'd be extremely grateful for any help or guidance anyone can hopefully provide me.

I have suffered from Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), severe Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Body Dismorphic Disorder (BDD), and Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) ever since I was 15 years old. I am now 35, and I have tried, literally,...EVERYTHING!

I've been diagnosed with the above depressive disorders by MULTIPLE psychiatrists on both coasts, as well as internationally for TWO DECADES!

I've gone through the usual suspects, such as all (I mean ALL of them when I say all) of the SSRI's (Paxil, Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor) for my depression. I've also been prescribed, mostly in vein also, Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, and Oxazepam for my anxiety.

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing. Little to No benefit. Just plenty of side effects!

Psychotherapy (3 times a WEEK for YEARS, and THOUSANDS of dollars worth) helped to a small degree. However, nowhere near to an extent that one could consider successful.

Three years ago, I came across a German newspaper article, which outlined that there are physicians who deal with patients who are abnormally severely depressed, such as myself, and treat them with opiates.

I actually found a doctor in Germany who has been prescribing opiates for me, and it has been a LIFESAVER!!! At LONG last, I was free, and I was able to enjoy my life. I was very closely monitored to see if I got addicted to the point where I would need more and more every day, but luckily, I never needed a dosage adjustment after an appropriate dose was found. I take them at the SAME TIME each day, never more, never less. I don't get the euphoric feeling that I've been reading about a lot either.

I can just BE OK...for the first time in my life, which has been miserable throughout my teenage years, and early adulthood.

I'm sure a lot of doctors look at this as preposterous, but if you had to live my life, you would look for what I realize is a somewhat unorthodox type of therapy, but it WORKS! It...just...WORKS!

Have any of you experienced similar situations?? Have you been able to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe opiates for your depression?

PHYSICIANS: If you're reading this, can you please either contact me by way of Private Message, or in the forum here and let me know if you would be so kind as to see me in person, and make your own assessment.

I am willing to fly to ANY of the 50 states, if that's what it takes. I DESPERATELY want to live my life, and although I can continue to travel to Europe to get my prescription (usually 4 months' worth at a time), and come back to L.A., which is what I've been doing, I would really like to find a doctor who is willing to help me here in the United States.

A couple of additional brief facts about me: I do not drink. I do not smoke. I do not do any illicit drugs. Hell, I don't even drink coffee. And I'm tired of hearing how it's so "silly of me to be depressed at all" because I have so many things going for me in the way of looks, success in what I do for a living, etc.

I honestly honestly just want to LIVE without having to board a transcontinental, and transatlantic flight to Europe where I've found that one doctor who has been amazing to me.

I would love to get in touch with a doctor here in the U.S., even if it's only for a consultation/assessment. Again, I'm located in the Los Angeles area, but I'm willing to fly to ANY state.

Thank you so much for listening!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123