Demerol VS Percocet Which is best for Chronic Pain?
    Stardust59 is offline New Member

Default Demerol VS Percocet Which is best for Chronic Pain?

Iv'e been on Percocet 10/325 for several months for Chronic Pain, but Pain Management now has a form of Alzhiemers, so my GP is going to take over. However he favors Demerol. I need to know which is best for Chronic Pain.
    I have severe Osteoarthritis, Post Spinal Fusion and Future Double knee Replacements within the next year. I am 48 years old.
    If he DOES give me Demerol, what is equivalent to the Percocet 10's 3X a day I have been taking?
    Thank You,
    Stardust

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Demerol is weak, compared to morphine it is .36 the strength, Oxycodone (Percocet) is about 1.5 times stronger the morphine, even hydrocodone (Vicodin) is .6 times as strong.
    For CP talk to him about a continuous release med such as MS Contin, Avinza, Kadian (all morphine) or Oxycontin.
    You would need about 150mg of Demerol to equal a 10mg Percocet, (with a zero % cross factor).

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I was prescribed demerol for deg disc disease and for post op from bi-lateral knee surgery and it was worthless. Cat is right. I would about as soon take Darvocet and they are really worthless. I ended up getting addicted to the OC and had to detox but that was my fault. Just be careful whatever you decide.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-15-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Stardust59 is offline New Member

Thank You for all the info, I will try to get him to keep me on the Percocets. I did try Avinza before and others, but my system cannot tolerate the LA's.
    Thank You,
    Stardust