Dangers of levothroxine (generic synthroid
    zanrehn is offline New Member

Default Dangers of levothroxine (generic synthroid

I have been a synthroid user for over 40 years and was given levothroxine several times during these 40+ years..each time I have had a severe psychological reaction and have now asked my doctor to put this reaction on my chart. Over the last year, I have mentioned this reaction to other friends and they have relayed this to several of their friends that have recently been switched to the generic levothroxine resulting in the same depression I experienced. When I have researched the side effects for levothroxine, depression is not even listed as a possiblility. I am very concerned and want to get the message out to others or to the drug community to look into this side effect. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to go about this? The solution of going back to synthroid is so simple.

jenns91civic is offline New Member

You can report side effects at the FDA's website. www.fda.gov The generics available today for Synthroid are AB rated, meaning they are equivalent. Some people (docs, pharmacists, and patients) still want to stick with the brand they were on before. That's fine, just make sure your doc writes "brand medically necessary on each prescription you get for Synthroid. You could also take the generic and have your labs checked more often for a little while so you can adjust the dose (in case your body reacts a bit different to the generic than name brand). Once your dose is leveled out for you, the symptoms should* go away. My two cents anyway.....

What do you mean my prescription's not ready??