Crestor and Grapefruit Juice
    pmediri is offline New Member

Default Crestor and Grapefruit Juice

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Just a quick question to ask. I was told by the pharmacist who handled my prescription not to drink grapefruit juice while taking Crestor. Is there any truth in this statement? How dangerous is it?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by pmediri View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Just a quick question to ask. I was told by the pharmacist who handled my prescription not to drink grapefruit juice while taking Crestor. Is there any truth in this statement? How dangerous is it?

It is strongly suggested that we avoid both whole gratefruit and juice with quite a few medications. Most are blood pressure medications. It can be serious but as far as you go specifically, we are all different. I have to avoid gratefuit as well ... haven't had any in years.

You can always check out medications on this web site by checking interactions, side effects, etc. Look at the top of this page and you will see drug interaction checkers, you can type a drug into the box and hit drug search and find all kinds of information. If you scan across the top of the page you will see all the different types of information that is available here. I have used this site for years for my medications long before I ever posted on this forum. Good luck.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    It is strongly suggested that we avoid both whole gratefruit and juice with quite a few medications. Most are blood pressure medications. It can be serious but as far as you go specifically, we are all different. I have to avoid gratefuit as well ... haven't had any in years.
    Forgot and when I started thinking about it ... they also say the same about some anti-anxiety meds and gratefruit as well ... also when I took some meds for RA they said no gratefruit so after thinking about this more, there is not any one class of meds that one should not take gratefruit with. There are several meds in different drug categories that this is true for. Sorry for the mistake.

pmediri is offline New Member

Thanks ever so much Robert, shall do as you suggested. Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. Appreciate it very much

sasquatch69 is offline Junior Member

The pharmacist may not have told you WHY not to consume grapefruit juice and these medications.
    Grapefruit juice temporarily increases the absorption rate of medicine into the bloodstream. If you do not want to speed up absorption, then avoid grapefruit juice.
    However, I think you can drink grapefruit juice, just dont drink it when you consume the medication. Drink it between doses and you'll probably be fine.

budinspokane is offline New Member

Smile Crestor and Grapefruit

I just talked with the manufacture of Crestor and you can drink grapefruit juice and or eat grapefruit as it takes a different path than Crestor (rosuvatatin calcium) and so does not affect Crestor like it can with other statins. It has no effect on Crestor.

budinspokane is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pmediri View Post
    Hi,

Hi pmediri

I just talked with the manufacture of Crestor and you can drink grapefruit juice and or eat grapefruit as it takes a different path than Crestor (rosuvatatin calcium) and so does not affect Crestor like it can with other statins. It has no effect on Crestor.

Grapefruit interferes with an enzyme called cytochrome P450 (there are many), however, only a few are relevant for drug metabolism. Grapefruit interferes with P450 3A4 which is one of the most popular enzymes to metabolize drugs, therefore there is a lot of drug interactions. Since the grapefruit competes with these drugs to be broken down by the enzyme it takes longer for the drug to be metabolized than normal. Therefore the active drug will remain in your body longer than normal since it is getting broken down slower. This can lead to toxic levels of the drug, some drugs more serious than others. This particular "statin" drug, rosuvastatin or Crestor, is not metabolized by P 450 3A4 and therefore is not a drug interaction even though most in the drug class are an interaction. If I was at work and someone got their drugs quickly I would probably say not to drink grapefruit because you can't remember weird exceptions like crestor when essentially all the other ones interact with it. Hope this maybe gives slightly better and hopefully not too confusing of an explanation, haha. Cheers!
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B