Coumadin and diet
    marylus is offline New Member

Default Coumadin and diet

My husband is on Coumadin and we're having trouble finding things for him to eat due to the Vitamin K content of leafy green veggies - and other veggies like cauliflower, asparagus, etc. I've heard that cranberries interact with Coumadin, too.

He is also diabetic and is on a low-carb diet to control this (along with 1/2 mg. Amaryl).

Besides meat and green beans what can he eat? Thanks, Mary

MUSGROVE is offline New Member

I see that no one has responded to your question. I have the same one! My mother is on Coumadin and she is diabetic as well. I have the added challenge that she also has a lot of pain from osteoarthritus and cannot take NSAIDs because of the Coumadin!! The only thing they will let her take is Darvocet 4 times a day. That doesn't releive the inflammation, just drugs her. [V]

Cindy

carla2013 is offline New Member

There is a book called The Coumadin Cookbook which may help. You can order it online through Amazon.

susanm is offline New Member

There is a book called [u]The Metabolic Typing Diet </u>by William Wolcott, and another on the same topic called [u]Nutrition Solutions</u> by Harold Krystal that might very well be of help. All the best. Susan

Nanette is offline New Member

Hi, you should be able to eat anything youwant to , including green veggies with vitamin K when you are on Coumadin/Warfarin. You just have to be consistent every day with the amount of vitamin K you consume. For instance, if you want salad, you should have it every day. The same if you like cooked green veggies, make sure you have about the same amount of one of them every day. Talk to your doc or health care provider about the fact that you want to start eating more veggies. They should then test your INR about a week after you start in order to see if your Coumadin/Warfarin dosage needs to be adjusted.

There is lots of information on the coumadin forum in a site called Valve Replacement.com

Good luck.

bamas01woman is offline New Member

Hello there,
    I just found this site, so sorry for a late response. I thought when I started taking coumadin I would starve to death. There is a site www.protein.org that deals with ppl that have protein s deffiency, the medicine that most of the ppl take is coumadin/warfarin sodium. On this site they talk alot about this medicine in regards to eating, exercise, and etc.
    bamas01woman