Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stallion
Can Methadone be Used With Painkillers?
    Confed is offline New Member

Default Can Methadone be Used With Painkillers?

I have a chronic pain condition which I've suffered from since 2001. My doctor now has me on 20 mgs. of Methadone twice a day. Plus, he's given me Percocet for when the pain gets a little worse. QUESTION: Since I understand that Methadone negates the effects of other opioids, am I likely to gain any benefit from the Percocet?

QUESTION 2: I've also read where Methadone doesn't give patients "highs" like other opioids, yet it's becoming an increasingly abused drug. If it doesn't produce highs, then why would anyone want to abuse it?

Thanks!

No pain...no pain.

Stallion is offline Senior Member

1st off, methadone does not block the effect of opiates, like naltrexone and other opiate antagonists. It is mearly a very long acting opiate agonist, like morphine or >>>>>> but 2-3 times longer in duration. this is why it is prefered for >>>>>> treatment, because it only requires one shot a day to avoid wd rather tham 3-4 for >>>>>>. This also means that it has a much longer wd period than >>>>>> or morphine however, and people coming of of methadone have described WD's lasting a month or more. So mixing methadone w/ the oxy in the percs won't send you into instant OD like suboxone would, but I would be careful using them for breakthru pain b/c methadone stays attached to your opioid receptors longer than you may think making OD more likely.

as for your second query, many >>>>>> users say that injected methadone provides less of a rush/euphoria than >>>>>> or morphine, but this may in part be a placebo effect since the set and circumstances of getting high in private and getting high with a doctor in his office as part of a court ordered drug rehab can heavily alter the experience. blind trials have shown that patients cannot tell the difference between morphine and methadone on the initial hit, but the harsh WD's of methadone keep it from being a favorite among abusers of narcotics.

Information = Freedom
    Fluff200 likes this.

Confed is offline New Member

I've only been on methadone for two months. Should I be concerned about becoming addicted for a very long time? Also, is there a way to avoid the sleepiness that comes with methadone. I seem to be sleepy all day and don't want a caffeine addiction on top of everything else.

I will say, for me, methadone does a better job than Oxycontin.

Much obliged for the info!

No pain...no pain.

Stallion is offline Senior Member

Remember, addiction and dependance are two different things. Addiction is antisocial behavior and dangerous abuse of drugs, so no you have no need to worry about addiction. You have probably developed some dependence after two months of regular use and it would be unwise to abruplt stop all narcotics. as I said before, methadone is hard to get off of b/c of the long w/d period and the length of action of the drug. It's great that it controls your pain, and I would only use the percs if really necessary.
    as for the drowsyness, theres nothing I know of short of traditional stimulants (caffine, amphetamines, ephedrine etc) that would combat the drowsyness, but these are dangerous to mix w/ sedatives including narcotics. Perhaps someone else has some advice for you on that isssue.

Information = Freedom

loloski is offline New Member

Red face

For the person who was asking about an alternative source of energy, I find that green tea helps me alot. I know it sounds kinda silly but the ginsing in it is completely natural and it contains a lot of antioxidants so it's really healthy! Look for brands that are 100% natural. I prefer Arizona Green Tea. It comes in a can and is REALLY cheap..like $1. : )

I also had a question:
    I'm trying to come off oxys, which I've been doing for about 6 months now. I took a methadone today and it helped me ALOT with the WDs. However, I'm still craving oxy. Hypothetically, if I were to do 20 mg of oxy today, do you think I would OD? I only took 10 mg of the methadone earlier this morning around 8. (I also took one mg of xanax around the same time to help with my anxiety).

What do you think?

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by loloski View Post
    I also had a question:
    I'm trying to come off oxys, which I've been doing for about 6 months now. I took a methadone today and it helped me ALOT with the WDs. However, I'm still craving oxy. Hypothetically, if I were to do 20 mg of oxy today, do you think I would OD? I only took 10 mg of the methadone earlier this morning around 8. (I also took one mg of xanax around the same time to help with my anxiety).

What do you think?
    I think you need to reassess what you're doing.

If you are on methadone to come off oxys, why take the chance of blowing all your hard work by giving in to a craving for oxy now??? Cravings are NORMAL. We're drug addicts - cravings are a normal part of this disease. The more time we get away from the opiates, the less the cravings occur. But we need to have that time - drug-free.

To introduce a single pill - a single opiate - when you're trying to get clean is like throwing a can of gasoline onto a pile of burning embers. You bring your addiction right back to life. Once that addiction is triggered, our brains are basically hijacked - and we're right back to the same nightmare, all over again. It's like we never stopped.

The best help for cravings is working a program of recovery, NOT taking more drugs. If you are serious about wanting help to recovery, look into whatever help is available, whether NA, AA, Celebrate Recovery, a counselor, an out-patient support group, something. When you deal with the underlying issues that led you into drug addiction, and the cravings will become few and far between.

Xanax is yet another addictive medication. It is not conducive to recovery. In fact, it can easily become as much of a problem as the oxys ever were. Part of working a recovery program is developing NEW healthier coping skills, rather than turning to a pill when things get stressful.

I wish you well.

God bless,
    Ruth

RemSupreme is offline New Member

Default can methadone be used with painkillers

Like somebody above me sais it doesnt block opiates like naltrexone.They say 60 starts a partial block but isnt too effective.Alot of people use methadone for pain and a short acting drug for break-through pain.Ive noticed its getting perscribed more and more because the metabolites will stop you from going into withdrawl at24-36 hence that is why it is used on methadone clinics.And I can tell you 1st hand you dont get high just get straight.It is a very hard drug to get off worse than >>>>>>,you will withdrawl for around a month instead of 3-5 days for >>>>>>.