buspar and weight gain
    anxiety is offline New Member

Default buspar and weight gain

I BEGAN TAKING (3) 5MG DOSES DAILY. THEN AFTER TWO WEEKS, WENT TO ONE 15MG DAILY. TWO WEKKS LATER (2) 15MG (30MG DAILY). EVER SINCE THEN, I'VE GAINED OVER 20 LBS. I KNOW IT IS NOT ALL BECAUSE OF THE MEDS BUT I'VE BEEN TAKING HYDROXYCUT NOW FOR 1 MONTH, EXERCISING AND WORKING A LABOR INTENSIVE JOB. I COULD NOT SHED ANY WEIGHT SO I DROPPED BACK TO 15MG DAILY 3 WEEKS AGO. I'M STILL FREAKING OUT BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER (EVEN PREGNANT) WEIGHED 150LBS. UP FROM 125. WHAT THE HE** CAN I DO BESIDES GO BACK TO METH. HELP???????????????
    tHE MEDICATION HELPS WITH THE SEVERE ANXIETY ATTACKS BUT THE WEIGHT IS MORE UNBEARABLE THAN ANXIETY.

RufusLeaking is offline New Member

You may want to get with your prescriber and see if something can be substituted for the Buspar. You don't mention what other meds you're taking, but the first and second generation tricyclic antidepressants are pretty famous for weight gain, secondary to their sedative and anticholinergic effects.. If you are currently taking a tricyclic you MAY find that switching to protriptyline (Vivactil) will give you the benefits with less or no sedation. If you are taking an SSRI, switching to prozac may help to curb your appetite. There are other options. If your exertion level is increased, then the need for an anxiolytic may not be as great, and perhaps you can decrease or eliminate your dose of Buspar.
    While my experience with Buspar is limited, I'm beginning to question its efficacy. It seems to be the "Darvon" of the anti-anxiety drugs. It's what gets prescribed (in this case for anxiety, not pain) when both the patient and the prescriber want to walk away from the office visit with the feeling that something's been done. Just as numerous controlled studies demonstrate that a middling dose of Motrin is more effective at relieving pain than Darvon, I'm beginning to believe that vigorous exercise and close attention to nutrition may do more to relieve stress than even large doses of Buspar. Just my opinion.