Results 1 to 8 of 8
best prescription sleep med for me?
  1. #1
    John47 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default best prescription sleep med for me?

    hi im 19 years old and have had insomnia for about two years. its really hard for me to ever get to sleep. i think i have an anxiety disorder as well but have never talked to my doctor about it. im always really tired but my brain just wont switch off. it seems like the longer i lay the the more awake i get. my mind just keeps raising and then i get panic attacks and feel like i can breath. so i would like to look into a sleeping med with my doctor. but im not really sure wich one i should try. i was thinking like ambien,lunesta or something. can u guys give me some suggestions?

  2. #2
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    The problem with these drugs is they are for short term use. If you get in the habit of taking them every night then you are headed for problems. I would talk to your doctor and find out why you aren't sleeping wel. You may have add or adhd which can cause sleep disorders. I would look into melatonin which you can get over the counter. Always try to find a natural way to get sleep as sleeping pills are the very last alternative. Good luck to you.......Dave

  3. #3
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John47 View Post
    hi im 19 years old and have had insomnia for about two years. its really hard for me to ever get to sleep. i think i have an anxiety disorder as well but have never talked to my doctor about it. im always really tired but my brain just wont switch off. it seems like the longer i lay the the more awake i get. my mind just keeps raising and then i get panic attacks and feel like i can breath. so i would like to look into a sleeping med with my doctor. but im not really sure wich one i should try. i was thinking like ambien,lunesta or something. can u guys give me some suggestions?
    Hi John
    I have had the same problem all my life..
    I took benadryl for about 20 some years and it works pretty good..
    I did try the lunesta and ambien and Dave is right...
    For me they just stop working so i went back to benadryl.
    If I get into a real bad cycle of no sleep, I will take an ambien, just not all the time.
    My brain races to...I can be dead tired and then I go to bed and here we go.
    everything that happened the last week will replay in my mind...LOL
    Self help hypnosis on a cd also helps,I have used them too.
    Good luck to you, Melinda

  4. #4
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    John ... I totally agree with Dave and Melinda, sleeping medications should only be used for a very short time. I've had sleep problems for most of my adult life. I've taken every sleep med there is, been through sleep studies in the hospital numerous times. The last time I did a study they said I was waking up 42 times an hour. They prescribed a c-pap machine to help me sleep, it's for sleep apnea. I don't know if your problem is due to or related to your previous drug use, but if sleep apnea is a part of it the c-pap machines works pretty well. Not everyone needs one and they are prescribed more often than necessary actually. They ONLY work if you do have actual sleep apnea.

    Just try to engage in good sleep habits. Only use your bed for sleep and sex. Don't lay around in bed and watch tv. When you go to bed turn off everything and ONLY go to bed when you're ready. You can use psychological reinforcement like this to kind of program yourself to being ready to sleep when you hit the bed.

    Take a hot shower an hour or so before bedtime. Get some light exercise late afternoon or a few hours before bedtime. Don't drink alcohol right before bedtime. You can take melatonin, I use valerian root, there a few supplements you can take that help us. We all react differently to everthing so you just have to try several things and see what works best for you. But not being able to sleep really sucks, I do know that. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  5. #5
    John47 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    thanks for all the replys. i wanted to do this cause i feel like im running out of options. i've tried alot of stuff. melatonin,l-tryptaphen and i hate benedryl. i get that restless leg syndrome thing evertime i take that and it makes it even harder to sleep. im so tired of being tired all the time haha. i was looking into different benzos but i dont really want to be on them. they give me weird dreams. so is there any prescription meds i should try?? i dont want to be on more drugs i just want to be able to sleep. trying to sleep is really stressful for me. im just alone in the dark most of the night laying there. then i start to get pissed off cause im not asleep. could there be like an imbalance in my brain chemicals? haha i just want sleeeep!

  6. #6
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John47 View Post
    thanks for all the replys. i wanted to do this cause i feel like im running out of options. i've tried alot of stuff. melatonin,l-tryptaphen and i hate benedryl. i get that restless leg syndrome thing evertime i take that and it makes it even harder to sleep. im so tired of being tired all the time haha. i was looking into different benzos but i dont really want to be on them. they give me weird dreams. so is there any prescription meds i should try?? i dont want to be on more drugs i just want to be able to sleep. trying to sleep is really stressful for me. im just alone in the dark most of the night laying there. then i start to get pissed off cause im not asleep. could there be like an imbalance in my brain chemicals? haha i just want sleeeep!

    Ho John
    There is something called trazodone.I know allot of people take it and it helps them,It did nothing for me tho, But it may be worth a try...
    Let me know if you find something that works.LOL
    Talk to you later , Melinda

  7. #7
    John47 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    i understand what u guys are saying. i REALLY dont want to be on drugs. but this sleep disorder is really messing with my life. im always tired and im trying to find work. i really feel that there is something wrong with my brain. like some kind of chemical imbalance. i would just like to know what product i should suggest to my docter. i dont want to but i need to get on with my life and not sleeping is really getting in the way. please i would just like suggestions of what product to ask to try. thank you

  8. #8
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John47 View Post
    i understand what u guys are saying. i REALLY dont want to be on drugs. but this sleep disorder is really messing with my life. im always tired and im trying to find work. i really feel that there is something wrong with my brain. like some kind of chemical imbalance. i would just like to know what product i should suggest to my docter. i dont want to but i need to get on with my life and not sleeping is really getting in the way. please i would just like suggestions of what product to ask to try. thank you
    Hi John
    I really do know about sleep issues...LOL as you can see I'm up after only having a few hours of sleep last night..I suggest the trazodone because it has an antidepressant in it and if you think it may be caused be a chemical in the brain it may help.
    ambien will work for a while but when you need it the most its going to fail on you and you will be wide awake.
    I have taken it and i did not have to bad of withdrawals with it just a couple of nights with no sleep. did you try excedrin pm,,,It really does work pretty good,I just forgot to get some at the store...the benzos are bad they will get you addicted and they are he$$ to get off,been there
    wish you all the luck and let me know what you come up with..
    Thanks Melinda

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22