Belladonna 3X HPUS
    ambermommy is offline New Member

Default Belladonna 3X HPUS

I have recently recommended Hylands (Homeopathic) teething tablets to a Parent for their 8mo old. I have since then been told that because it is an all natural/organic product that it would more than likely have Belladonna in it and that was a very bad ingredent/drug. Is there anyone who can give me any information about this Belladonna? If you have any recommendations on where to look I would like that. I go on to Google and am overwhelmed.

Thanks so much
    ambermommy

Stallion is offline Senior Member

here is the ingredients list from Hylands website:

Calcarea Phosphorica 12X HPUS - supports dentition
    Chamomilla 6X HPUS - for irritability
    Coffea Cruda 6X HPUS - for wakefulness and diuresis
    Belladonna 6X HPUS (0.0000003% Alkaloids) - for redness and inflammation
    In a base of Lactose (milk sugar) NF.

Belladonna is a term for a group of alkaloids known as tropaine alkaloids, and include atropine, scopolomine, and hyscosyamine. These chemicals interfere w/ the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which at very low doses produce drying effects of the mucus membranes, reduce inflamation and smooth muscle spasms (esp. the bowels). They also may cause mild sedation and relieve nausea. A number of antihistamines work in this fashion (including benadryl), as well as some muscle relaxers and antidepressants.
    Belladona alkaloids are commonly used in motion sickness meds, asthma meds, and drugs that treat bowel spasms, and are also used to dialiate pupils for glaucoma testing. Large doses of tropane alk's can cause hallucinations, intense hyperthermia and death, but these effects are more commonly the result of ingesting the belladonna plant itself (or a number of relatives, including jimson weed), which contain large amounts and are very toxic. But homeopathic meds used infintismaly small doses of these drugs to gently nudge the body towards the desired effect w/o large amounts of drugs. I don't think you need to worry about them poisoning a child unless you gave it a whole bottle of them.

Information = Freedom
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-15-2010 at 10:13 PM.

new_mom_2009 is offline New Member

Default I was reccomended teething tablets.

I was reccomended teething tablets by friends and this is what I found about Belladonna. Hope this helps! This product contains several medications: belladonna alkaloids (made up of the drugs hyoscyamine, atropine, and scopolamine) and phenobarbital. Belladonna alkaloids help to reduce the symptoms of stomach and intestinal cramping. They work by slowing the natural movements of the gut and by relaxing the muscles in the stomach and intestines. Belladonna alkaloids belong to a class of drugs known as anticholinergics/antispasmodics. Phenobarbital helps to reduce anxiety. It acts on the brain to produce a calming effect. Phenobarbital belongs to a class of drugs known as barbiturate sedatives.