anyone familiar with opana?compared to percocet?
    leana is offline Member

Default anyone familiar with opana?compared to percocet?

ive been taking percocet for a few years now for ongoing back problems,but im starting to get a little worried about taking the tylenol everyday.i take 4 percocets a day,each has 325mg tylenol,so thats 1300mg of tylenol im taking everyday.the doc mentioned about trying opana,ive never tried it. does it make you feel the same as percocet?or does it make you feel tired and sedated?if anyone has taken opana,please let me know how it works,and how it makes you feel as a med you would have to take everyday for pain control?

leopard_print is offline Junior Member

My husband takes opana, the extended release version. He says it is the best thing he has ever tried (for back pain). However he also says that the ER version (10mg twice a day) does not give you the little...whatever you want to call it...euphoria/high like the quick-acting vicodin, oxyIR, etc. Not much sedation after a few days of getting used to it. He also takes 10mg norco as needed for breakthru pain.
    So from what I've heard from him - he would recommend it for chronic pain folks.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by leopard_print View Post
    My husband takes opana, the extended release version. He says it is the best thing he has ever tried (for back pain). However he also says that the ER version (10mg twice a day) does not give you the little...whatever you want to call it...euphoria/high like the quick-acting vicodin, oxyIR, etc. Not much sedation after a few days of getting used to it. He also takes 10mg norco as needed for breakthru pain.
    So from what I've heard from him - he would recommend it for chronic pain folks.

I am surprised he is getting much benefit from the norco after taking opana. Seems like dr would prescribe something a little stronger than norco for breakthrough pain with a medication as strong as opana. Opana is extended release so we don't feel the euphoria like we would with a strong oxycodone dose but it's still strong. Seems like even a small dose of oxy would be more effective than the norco for breakthrough.

leopard_print is offline Junior Member

He's a weird metabolizer of opiates. Luckily, one norco 10-325 every 4-6 hours is perfect for his breakthru pain, with 0.5 klonopin for muscle spasms as well. He's been on this regimen for almost a year with no increase in tolerance. I'm just thankful he's found sometihng that works!
    Now if I could just do the same