Any difference between Tylox and percocet?
    lil_freeze is offline Junior Member

Default Any difference between Tylox and percocet?

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference between the two, other than the fact that one is in a capsule, and the other a tablet, or pill rather. I have gotten percocet for my back a few times, and I thought that is what they gave me this time, but when I got them it was in a capsule form, but it still says oxycodone 5/500. I wonder why one would be in a pill and the other a capsule if they are the same thing?

thanks,
    Lillian

lil_freeze is offline Junior Member

Ok, the only difference I see is that my old scripts are Oxycodone 5mgs, tylenol 325mgs. These are 5/500. Not to sound really dumb here, but I still don't know why one is a capsule...other than it might act faster??? I can't call long distance on my home phone, and the place I got htem is long distance, even though it's only ten minutes from where I live. And the two local places I called both said I need to call where I got them.

If anyone has had these before, any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Rawoody is offline Platinum Member

I'm going to take a EWAG (Educated Wild-Ass Guess)here and say that it probably takes a little while for the Oxy to take effect (say an hour or so) but it works for 8-12 hours. APAP*, however, can start providing relief in as little as 30 minutes, but it only last for 4-6 hours and for moderate or higher pain can only take the edge off. So, combine the two and viola, something that's fast and long lasting.

Now, as for the difference in APAP* levels, more pain requires more APAP to take that edge off. ( Same as taking a Tylenol (325 mg) for that mild headache and the Tylenol ES (500 mg) for that hangover from last night's party. As far as the tablet vs capsule thing, I think it's mainly a preference of the manufacturer and that there's no no real difference. ( Just like, he likes chocolate but she likes vanilla, it's still just ice cream; both are made basically the same way, and both digests just the same.)

* APAP = Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

EasyMeds is offline Banned

The purpose of the capsule may simply be for trademark reasons. I doubt that is has anything to do with how quick it take effect - I've taken both after surgery and didn't notice any difference in effect time.

Dexzin is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freeze View Post
    Ok, the only difference I see is that my old scripts are Oxycodone 5mgs, tylenol 325mgs. These are 5/500. Not to sound really dumb here, but I still don't know why one is a capsule...other than it might act faster??? I can't call long distance on my home phone, and the place I got htem is long distance, even though it's only ten minutes from where I live. And the two local places I called both said I need to call where I got them.

If anyone has had these before, any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    OK the difference is percocet has 5mg of oxycodone hydrochloride and 325mg Acetaminophen. Tylox has 4.5mg oxycodone hydrochloride plus 0.38mg oxycodone terephthalate and 500mg Acetaminophen. I hope that helps.

Dexzin is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rawoody View Post
    I'm going to take a EWAG (Educated Wild-Ass Guess)here and say that it probably takes a little while for the Oxy to take effect (say an hour or so) but it works for 8-12 hours. APAP*, however, can start providing relief in as little as 30 minutes, but it only last for 4-6 hours and for moderate or higher pain can only take the edge off. So, combine the two and viola, something that's fast and long lasting.

Now, as for the difference in APAP* levels, more pain requires more APAP to take that edge off. ( Same as taking a Tylenol (325 mg) for that mild headache and the Tylenol ES (500 mg) for that hangover from last night's party. As far as the tablet vs capsule thing, I think it's mainly a preference of the manufacturer and that there's no no real difference. ( Just like, he likes chocolate but she likes vanilla, it's still just ice cream; both are made basically the same way, and both digests just the same.)

* APAP = Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
    Sorry but your wrong on that. Percocet has 5mg of oxycodone hydrochloride and 325mg Acetaminophen. Tylox has 4.5mg of oxycodone hydrochloride plus 0.38mg of oxycodone terephthalate and 500mg of acetaminophen.