Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By learning_to_be_free
  • 3 Post By CWolfe81
affects of oxycodone on methadone please help need info fast!
    harleydude is offline New Member

Exclamation affects of oxycodone on methadone please help need info fast!

y
    im on 70mg and (currently on a 5mlg a week decrease and going good! ) methadone daily for opiate addiction. im getting my wisdom teeth pulled and the dentist is fully aware the methadoe dosing. my concorn is that i WILL FEEL UPHORIA from the percocet 5mg that she prescribed me to take two 2 every 6-8 hours along with motrin 400mg in between.will that even help in killing the pain since im on methadone? i do not want to feel the affect either seeing how i have 9 months clean and am a active member in the N.A. program. i have made my sponser 100% aware of what is happing in concern to the procedure and the pills perscribed. the other thing im worried about is the possibility of over dose even with following the doctors and clinics direction beacause of not being able feel a decrease in pain and taking one more like the dentist advised me to do.i am getting of the methadone and hope to be off of in 6 months to a year, i have not had one dirty u.a. and am taking all the steps to live a clean and productive life so i am really worried about felling the affects of the oxycodone even knowing that the dose i took as an addict was way higher at 40-60mlg four to five times aday of oxycodone. i simply just plain out DONT WANT TO GET HIGH but i dont want to be in pain of getting all four wisdom teeth ripped out of my face! ANY INFO WILL HELP! thanx for the help every one and may your higer power bless you and your family!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

The methadone will block the effects of the oxycodone so I wouldn't even fill the prescription. You are better off taking advil gel caps and methadone. If you do take the percocet you will find that it won't kill the pain even if you took 10 at a time. Good luck.....Dave

Exclamation than

thank I appreciat the help. if anyone as more information on this >> greatly appreciate the help that lastt reply was helpful but a bit vauge. how many would I need to help withnpain relife

I took pain pills while in MMT due to a severe kidney infection. The clinic dr and the ER dr both said methadone losses some of it pain relieving properties after you have been on it for awhile. I dont know if thats completely true but it seemed to not be as effective on pain to me. I was about 2 years in at the time of the infection. I was given I.V. pain meds while in ER I cant remember what because I was in too much pain. Then I was sent home with a script of perc 10/325. I believe they seemed to help the acute pain in the 1st day and relieved some of the soreness you have after a severe kidney infection. I was also taking motrin 800mg. Er dr said MMT patients sometimes require pain meds for breakthrough pain or in emergencies. He also said that the methadone allowed my infection to get so bad because it covered up most of the pain It losses pain relieving effects in one breath and it covered most of my pain in the next? I can see where both would be true, if you were in severe enough pain. My PCP confirmed their thoughts on it losses some pain relieving effects and warned me in the next breath to pay more attention to my body. I should have been but I really didnt notice any out of the ordinary pain till the day before I ended up in the ER. I think if your worring about od'ing or feeling euphoria, unless you plan take the whole bottle, you can stop worring. If you dont want to take them then dont. If you feel pain and want to try 2 to see if it helps any than I wouldnt worry about doing so. Dont take more than perscribed even if whats perscribed doesnt help because chances are they arent going to help much if you take the perscribed dose & it doesnt give some relief. Advil, motrin those types of meds will probably help best since the reduce inflammation which is the main cause for pain after tooth extraction. I hope this helped some, wishing you a speedy recovery
    Last edited by learning_to_be_free; 02-06-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    big50 likes this.

The percocet won't work period. Methadone makes oxycodone look like candy. You should take a couple extra strength advil gel caps every 4-6 hours. I'd start taking the advil a day before the dental surgery that way you already have the anti-inflammatory in you.. Good luck.....Dave

Talking thanx

thanx every one for the help it is greatly appreciated. I talked to the pharmacist where I picked up my percocets and motrin 400 and asked him this same question he told me straight up that it will be even stronger on killing the pain coupled with the methadone and that although methadone may kill the uphoric(spelling ?) or rush effect of the percocets that the pain killing effect won't be affected. so all in all Im royaly confused ! but I think im going to lean towards the pepole that have been there before and not the mumbo jumb from the quake doctors/pharmacists 1thanx again ! much love to you all and may your higher power be with you always . be safe!

Good luck Harley, let us know how things work out with the painkillers. I am interested if you do or don't get pain relief. Thanks....Dave

Cool dave

well the wisdom teeth come out tomorrow and I will most definitly in the next few days give you the result of this pain full science experiment !

Default results are in!

today I had the deep wisdom tooth extraction and iv had a full day to use both oxycodone and motrin 400. I can say while on methadone the percocets dont work nearly as well if I was off or on a lower dose of methadone. though the percs did help with the pain mildly, the motrin 400's worked about 50 to 75 percent more than oxycodone . there we have it! if your on methadone font expect relife from opiates at all. except maby I very high doses of fyntenal (sorry bout the spelling) or somthing like that. thank for the help and support from you all!

Thanks Harley,keep up with the motrin, as it really helps with the swelling......Dave

Helenka is offline New Member

Default Important reply to you

Quote Originally Posted by harleydude View Post
    y
    im on 70mg and (currently on a 5mlg a week decrease and going good! ) methadone daily for opiate addiction. im getting my wisdom teeth pulled and the dentist is fully aware the methadoe dosing. my concorn is that i WILL FEEL UPHORIA from the percocet 5mg that she prescribed me to take two 2 every 6-8 hours along with motrin 400mg in between.will that even help in killing the pain since im on methadone? i do not want to feel the affect either seeing how i have 9 months clean and am a active member in the N.A. program. i have made my sponser 100% aware of what is happing in concern to the procedure and the pills perscribed. the other thing im worried about is the possibility of over dose even with following the doctors and clinics direction beacause of not being able feel a decrease in pain and taking one more like the dentist advised me to do.i am getting of the methadone and hope to be off of in 6 months to a year, i have not had one dirty u.a. and am taking all the steps to live a clean and productive life so i am really worried about felling the affects of the oxycodone even knowing that the dose i took as an addict was way higher at 40-60mlg four to five times aday of oxycodone. i simply just plain out DONT WANT TO GET HIGH but i dont want to be in pain of getting all four wisdom teeth ripped out of my face! ANY INFO WILL HELP! thanx for the help every one and may your higer power bless you and your family!
    Howdy I can understand your concern. Once you begin on methadone, the Percocet is in the exact same family as your Oxycotin. If I were you, I would call the clinic or where ever you're getting your methadone from. FYI Methadone is similar to Morphine if no one told you yet. You need to let the clinic or the Dr. prescribing the Methadone know you're having Dental surgery. If your were following with a pain management Dr., only that Dr. could order your pain medication. I do understand why the Dentist is ordering the Motrin, to reduce any inflammation, plus help with any pain you may have. Please run this by the Dr. or clinic where you receive your Methadone since they may offer you some medical advice too. I happen to be a Critical Care R.N. Best of Luck.

to the nurse: I majr my clinic and doctors/pharmacists informed of every thing going only thanx for the help

mitchigan is offline Member

Default Percocet vs. Oxy

For the record percocet IS oxy. Only difference is with percocet, an analgesic like aspirin or tylenol is added.

BlurD14 is offline New Member

hey Learning_to_be_free i was reading about where you were having severe urinary or kidney infections on while on methadone. i am currently on methadone too. i have been for over 2 years. i have had severe uti and kidney infections on and off for a while. maybe you can email me at blurd14@hotmail.com ,,, thanks andy

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Methadone will block the effects of most pain meds. I had surgery while on methadone and can vouch for that. However, I have a story about dental work which is really true. I was having several teeth pulled while on 80 mgs. of methadone. I was terrified of course. The doc gave me tylenol with codeine of something weak like that after. I called him after 24 hours because it wasn't working for shxt. He told me to take perscription strength Motrin at that point (4 instead of 2). I did and it killed the pain quite well. We are so programmed to think only more narcotics will work but in the case of my multiple teeth extractions while on meth, motrin worked the best

Anonymous Guest

while i was on methadone maintenance a few years back, around 80mgs, i had a nasty motor vehicle accident, and broke half a dozen bones.
    i informed the doctors of my methadone, clinic was rung, and long story short they just give you MORE opiates than a normal person, to make sure you are receiving the pain relief we need. i had a load of morphine instead.
    quote from doctor "if there is one thing we can do it is releive pain" and all the horror stories about being on a list of drug addicts, you receive no pain releif in event of accident, is just that horror stories. they arent true.
    mind you 6 broken bones are going to hurt no matter what pain meds they give you.
    anyway, glad the teeth are out and its all over. good one dude.
    cheeky

sarahjean615 is offline New Member

Default methadone vs percocet

Methadone blocks your opiate receptors. So therefor if you are taking methadone and try taking an opiate, the opiate is not going to work. I only know this because I am a Medical Assistant and I study a lot in pain management and narcotics.. Hope this has helped!

Normankay is offline Member

Methadone does not block, I don't know who does the studies. They say it blocks at higher levels but I have never found that to be true. I would use methadone then do >>>>>> and I would get almost immobilized. I took methadone daily for a couple years.

jimmycannn is offline New Member

Yeah, IDK either, but I've heard pain mgmnt Doc's get confused about certain opiate, partial opiate and non-opiate agonists and antagonists for that matter.

Methadone does NOT BLOCK opiate agonists from affecting you. I DOES of compete for and bind to opiate receptors with a certain affinity. Methadone will not 100% saturate all your opiate receptors. Nothing can. Every drug, depending on its affinity, works in a steady-state of dynamic equilibrium for a while before being removed from the body.

This means that the drug will bind, release and rebind. The affinity of the drug determines how long it binds and releases. There is also a varying amount of agonism or antagonism (like with nalaxone) when the drug DOES bind to the opiate receptor. Some drugs agonize the opiate receptor strongly and some weakly.

When you have 2 opiate agonists competeing for receptors they both will bind to some extent and effect your body to different extents. If 1 opiate is a weak agonist....it will get in the way of strong agonists from binding like it would without the other drug present. This is NOT true antagonism or "blocking". Its competetive inhibition.

There are just several characteristics that each drug possesses that affect the final outcome. It depends on the summation of them all what the final outcome will be.

Methadone is not even an opiate. It is an unrelated synthetic molecule developed in Germany as a substitute for their waning supply of morphine for their soldiers during wartime. It just so happens to bind to the opiate receptor.

Look into Suboxone (buprenorphine plus Nalaxone). There are so many lies surrounding that drug. Dr's and patients alike misunderstand it.
    Last edited by jimmycannn; 12-02-2011 at 11:29 PM.

prorida is offline New Member

You should probably just work on your self control issues so you can learn to limit yourself and just deal with the 'uphoria' that might come with the weak painkillers they give you for your teeth.

Pro Rida MD.

CWolfe81 is offline New Member

And that is a prime example of how ignorant individuals who do not suffer from addiction make it difficult for those who are in recovery, or in the process of starting their recovery.

It does not matter whether an opiate painkiller is "weak" or not. Its the fact that it effects you in a way in which can trigger a relapse or trigger your craving for opiates.

I pray that you are not an MD. Your lack of compassion for anyone in pain regardless if they are an opiod addict or not is despicable. I also hope that you have no surgeries, or any life threatening illness that requires you to be in need of narcotic pain medication. You might just run into an MD like yourself who believes you should have more "self control" and tells you, you need to "work on those self control issues," while you are withering in pain. You should be ashamed of yourself. You take an oath as a physician to care for those who need caring for, not to demean or belittle an addict for asking a viable opiate related question.

It is MD's like yourself Mr/Mrs/Ms Rida that allow Opiod addiction to run rampant in the United States due to your lack of knowledge and the ignorance that just a litttttttle bit of "self control" can stop an opiod addict from drug seeking tendencies.

In most cases- those who suffer from opiod addiction are comparable to diabetics who require insulin. After a certain amount of time, opiod addicted persons receptors QUIT all TOGETHER producing opiods that any normal, chemically balanced person makes within their own brain. You surely wouldn't deny a diabetic insulin and tell them they should work on their self control issues.

Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by prorida View Post
    You should probably just work on your self control issues so you can learn to limit yourself and just deal with the 'uphoria' that might come with the weak painkillers they give you for your teeth.

Pro Rida MD.

Newtron64 is offline New Member

From my experience, while I was taking Methadone. If I took any other opiate, I would not feel the high. That is why they use the Methadone or Suboxen in my opinion. You cannot feel high while on Methadone or Suboxen. You can get the pain relief in my opinion. I would take as very little as possible. Try to keep the pain tolerable. After you are back to normal than just continue like before your procedure.

Newtron64 is offline New Member

I would like you to explain the truth if you can? I have had back surgery with permanent nerve damage and I have no choice but to use something for pain management. I am using suboxen. What do you think is the best? I am one who knows suboxen works for chronic pain relief. I had surgery almost 20 years ago and have taken almost everything available. In my opinion Suboxen or Methadone works the best for me.