Adderall, Xanax, Cymbalta, Topamax, Buspar, etc...
    Capn3885 is offline New Member

Post Adderall, Xanax, Cymbalta, Topamax, Buspar, etc...

Hi, I have a question about some medications that I am currently taking. I am a male and am 23 years old and have been on adderall (or some form of it) nearly since the age of five and on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medications since I was about 16 years old. Only in the last five years or so have I begun having problems with anxiety, as well as chronic daily headaches and chronic back pain. Most recently, I have been prescribed with a lot of medication: 15mg of Adderall, .25 mg of Xanax, 120 mg of Cymbalta, 100 mg of Topamax, 15 mg of Buspar, Allegra-D 12 hr (allergies), and Nasonex. The most recent activity, was that my new doctor at school lowered my dosage from .5mg of xanax to .25 mg, when .5 was working, but just not well enough. My concern, though, is that I am on a large quantity of Cymbalta and Topamax. My anxiety isn't any better, nor are my headaches (Topamax). Also, the adderall works very well for me, but it seems that it has me so tense that the small .25 mg of xanax doesn't even hardly do anything for me. I have been trying to get my doctors to understand this for a long time, but nothing seems to work. My dresser top looks like a freaking pharmacy with all of the prescription bottles! A 23 year old should not be on this much medication, plain and simple, yet I need something..
    One last thing, I put in all of my medications into the interaction checker and it had severe warnings for combining Cymbalta with Buspar and Adderall, stating it could result in "serotonin syndrome"? There were about four other warnings for combining xanax with topamax, buspar with topamax, naproxen(back pain) with cymbalta, and xanax with cymbalta stating that it could result in "CNS and respiratory depression" Thank you for taking the time to respond to this, but it seems like my doctors just always want to be right and wouldn't dare take my advice. Really, the only medications that I have been able to tell that work are the adderall and xanax (but only in a larger dosage). Now that I have seen these interactions I may print it out and show it to my doctor. It's just that the past 3 or 4 years I've struggled getting through my anxiety, that it has even caused me to fail in school, and I do not want this to happen anymore. Thanks again!

bishop33 is offline Junior Member

Capn...are you being prescribed all these from one doctor? And I don't know much currently but if you can get Robert to reply he is extremely sagacious in this type of thing!..No worries as all will get resolved as you definetly found the right website!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Capn3885 View Post
    Hi, I have a question about some medications that I am currently taking. I am a male and am 23 years old and have been on adderall (or some form of it) nearly since the age of five and on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medications since I was about 16 years old. Only in the last five years or so have I begun having problems with anxiety, as well as chronic daily headaches and chronic back pain. Most recently, I have been prescribed with a lot of medication: 15mg of Adderall, .25 mg of Xanax, 120 mg of Cymbalta, 100 mg of Topamax, 15 mg of Buspar, Allegra-D 12 hr (allergies), and Nasonex. The most recent activity, was that my new doctor at school lowered my dosage from .5mg of xanax to .25 mg, when .5 was working, but just not well enough. My concern, though, is that I am on a large quantity of Cymbalta and Topamax. My anxiety isn't any better, nor are my headaches (Topamax). Also, the adderall works very well for me, but it seems that it has me so tense that the small .25 mg of xanax doesn't even hardly do anything for me. I have been trying to get my doctors to understand this for a long time, but nothing seems to work. My dresser top looks like a freaking pharmacy with all of the prescription bottles! A 23 year old should not be on this much medication, plain and simple, yet I need something..
    One last thing, I put in all of my medications into the interaction checker and it had severe warnings for combining Cymbalta with Buspar and Adderall, stating it could result in "serotonin syndrome"? There were about four other warnings for combining xanax with topamax, buspar with topamax, naproxen(back pain) with cymbalta, and xanax with cymbalta stating that it could result in "CNS and respiratory depression" Thank you for taking the time to respond to this, but it seems like my doctors just always want to be right and wouldn't dare take my advice. Really, the only medications that I have been able to tell that work are the adderall and xanax (but only in a larger dosage). Now that I have seen these interactions I may print it out and show it to my doctor. It's just that the past 3 or 4 years I've struggled getting through my anxiety, that it has even caused me to fail in school, and I do not want this to happen anymore. Thanks again!

As soon as I started reading your post I thought to suggest you run the meds thru the interaction checker. You have some serious interactions potentially here.

You need to discuss this with the dr. Remember however that sometimes even though interactions are a real possibility it becomes a quality of life issue. Sometimes the benefits are worth the risks we are receiving from meds.

Some of your potential side effects could make things lots worse than the original problem. The CNS problems and respiratory depression are serious potential problems. I don't know all of your health conditions. But the dr can look at your conditions and decide best which meds are really necessary and which you could maybe take less or omit. Remember that you as the patient are also the customer. The dr works for you. Good luck and God bless.

Capn3885 is offline New Member

Bishop:

Oh no. The cymbalta, buspar, and originally the xanax were prescribed by my dr. in nashville. The topamax, my former primary doctor. The Allegra and Nasonex, my former allergist. I have recently moved to Virginia for school and my parents moved here last year, so I have to find all new doctors. My current doctor is the one that lowered my xanax prescription from .5 to .25mg. I saw an orthopedic dr. a couple of weeks ago for my back and he gave me the naproxen.

Thanks, Robert.

Bishop:

Oh no. The cymbalta, buspar, and originally the xanax were prescribed by my dr. in nashville. The topamax, my former primary doctor. The Allegra and Nasonex, my former allergist. I have recently moved to Virginia for school and my parents moved here last year, so I have to find all new doctors. My current doctor is the one that lowered my xanax prescription from .5 to .25mg. I saw an orthopedic dr. a couple of weeks ago for my back and he gave me the naproxen.

Thanks, Robert.

That answers the question right there. Too many drs writing scripts and drs not communicating or knowing what is happening. A really common problem. You need to journal your symptoms and what meds/doses you are taking. Take the journal to the dr. This really helps dr make an informed decision with you as to what should be the appropriate course of action. Write down all the worst symptoms you have and what makes them better. It will help the dr big time as well as you.

heyhaze is offline Junior Member

Default interaction checker?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    As soon as I started reading your post I thought to suggest you run the meds thru the interaction checker. You have some serious interactions potentially here.

You need to discuss this with the dr. Remember however that sometimes even though interactions are a real possibility it becomes a quality of life issue. Sometimes the benefits are worth the risks we are receiving from meds.

Some of your potential side effects could make things lots worse than the original problem. The CNS problems and respiratory depression are serious potential problems. I don't know all of your health conditions. But the dr can look at your conditions and decide best which meds are really necessary and which you could maybe take less or omit. Remember that you as the patient are also the customer. The dr works for you. Good luck and God bless.
    Where do I find the interaction checker?
    Vickie

heyhaze is offline Junior Member

Default Cymbalta with Buspar

I have heard that taking cymbalta with any other med that effects the seritonin in our brain will be dangerous because we don't need that much serotonin. Thats why I just post almost the same question a few minutes ago about mixing Cymbalta with Methadone. If Methadone effects our serotonin then I am in big trouble.
    I hope you get yours figures out, I am still searching.
    Vickie

Quote Originally Posted by heyhaze View Post
    Where do I find the interaction checker?
    Vickie

Go to the top of this page and just above the search box look across to your right center of the page. Above the search box you will see News, Drugs A to Z, etc. It's right there. You can keep running medical files on people with all interactions as meds change. It's a good tool.