Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Robert and Melinda
    HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Default Robert and Melinda

To all,
    Robert and Melinda's computers are down as of yesterday evening. They will be back on line as soon as possible. In the meantime if anyone they were helping is in need of any help I can help you or get in contact with them for you.
    Thank You

Henry

DonWalt is offline New Member

Default Help Methadone Withdrawal

I'm jumping in here, and not sure how to start a new post. Did try, though, sorry. I have an adult child who has been on and off opiates for a couple years now, only 22 years old. He is in his second stint at the methadone clinic, even though he knew the opportunity for his dream job was coming up. Well he has come to the point to where it is either get off the methadone QUICK or lose the job. He is on 50 mg, has been for about 6 months. We have access to suboxone. Is it possible to go from 50 mg to subs? He is working an outdoor job in extreme heat, but would have weekend free to go through worst of the withdrawals. We are familiar with Roberts suboxone induction, and know others who have been successful with it, but have no time to drop to 30 mg. Can it be done from 50????Help anyone????

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DonWalt View Post
    I'm jumping in here, and not sure how to start a new post. Did try, though, sorry. I have an adult child who has been on and off opiates for a couple years now, only 22 years old. He is in his second stint at the methadone clinic, even though he knew the opportunity for his dream job was coming up. Well he has come to the point to where it is either get off the methadone QUICK or lose the job. He is on 50 mg, has been for about 6 months. We have access to suboxone. Is it possible to go from 50 mg to subs? He is working an outdoor job in extreme heat, but would have weekend free to go through worst of the withdrawals. We are familiar with Roberts suboxone induction, and know others who have been successful with it, but have no time to drop to 30 mg. Can it be done from 50????Help anyone????

Don ..... I am willing to help you at the 50mg dose if you will help me with your son's induction using the COW's worksheet, assessing his symptoms, and we do the induction together right here exactly according to what I ask of you. It's so easy to have problems at that dose. I can do it and he will be successful but I won't put anyone in misery. I need your commitment to do exactly as I say so we don't mess him up. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thanks, Robert, for your offer. I hope he will take you up on it very soon. At this moment he is still holding on to the methadone because he is having to work all weekend, and can't have time off to switch. Methadone has been such a nightmare for him, but I'm sure you hear that a lot.

If he is going to switch to subs at that dose he is going to need 3-4 days completely off ANYTHING or else he will go into precipitated w/d when the sub induction takes place. You won't believe how sick that will make him. I've done this a thousand times and not using the methadone for a weekend isn't going to get it. That is not long enough. Just so you know. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I switched to sub from methadone after being on it wayyyyy longer than your son. I was down to 25 however. Listen to Robert about the precipitated withdrawals. He will fail miserably unless he stays off methadone until he is in moderate to severe withdrawal. I went without methadone for 72 hours. The COWS sheet will make it totally accurate but 72 hours is around the norm for methadone because it has a long half life. If he is only on methadone for 6 months it shouldn't be too hard. I was on it for over 30 years and made the switch successfully and rather easily. Good luck and I hope he goes through with it!

Anonymous Guest

yeh i was supposed to be on 30mg when i switched from methadone to subs, but i lied to the doctor, not realizing how much I WAS GONNA SUFFER....

needless to say, i went from much more than your son, on the thursday, (around 80mgs from memory, i had been using about 100 a day..) then friday thought i would be clever and only have morphine,,,,

then inducted on the monday.. and holy shyte, i went into prec wd and had to use the bathroom 3 times before i left the building, nearly crashed on way home, my legs were spazzying out so much, came home, coldest couple of days of the year, and i went to bed fully dressed for 2 days... rang clinic next day, scared outa my wits to take any more. they gave me 12mg... they said, continue as planned...

well i only took 10mg,..... finally after over 2 days i came right.... it was a nightmare i WOULD NOT WANT TO REPEAT.

so thats all i can say, he needs to get it right, and make sure he is a 26 on the chart... my doctor never even used a chart. shows how much he knew. but of course he blamed me, coz i bullshetted about what dose i was on. even blew up my counsellor and said she cant do no more inductions either... hah, it was him was the doctor man....

anyway, cut to now... im over 2 years off the needle,,, over 2 years off my methadone habit, and now 8 months clean off subs...

so its possible. and i was a long time iv user... your son only has a few years under his belt... btw does he want this...?? its gota be up to him.... i hope he does... methadone robs your soul, i firmly beleive that...

all the best
    cheeky
    OXYmom and newyorkgal like this.

Thanks so much for your advice, and good comments. I have to admit, I think I want this more than he does, and I'm laying off until he asks for help. I just hate so much for him to lose his job, and I think that eventually it will happen. But it is his life, and I have to let go. I will show him your comments and hope they are helpful to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DonWalt View Post
    Thanks so much for your advice, and good comments. I have to admit, I think I want this more than he does, and I'm laying off until he asks for help. I just hate so much for him to lose his job, and I think that eventually it will happen. But it is his life, and I have to let go. I will show him your comments and hope they are helpful to him.

Let me know if I can help you. Best of luck, but it's got to be his decision. You can kick him along a little though! Like in the butt! God bless.
    newyorkgal likes this.