Reglan-- Alternative?
    mraynersbaby is offline New Member

Default Reglan-- Alternative?

My Mom has a problem with her stomach emptying and has been prescribed Reglan. She is 70 yrs. old. Is there an alternative medicine that can be used for her condition?

Slig7 is offline New Member

The answer to your question is, yes there are many alternative
    "anti-emetics" on the market. I assume almost all are only available through prescription, as I have only been given these medications in
    the hospital to prevent nausea/vomitting due to the STRONG narcotics
    I was given. Many ERGOT DERIVATIVES such as D.H.E. are indicated for severe nausea/vomiting. Unfortunately for me, I am allergic to them.
    They only worsen my symptoms.

Another one, which I am also allergic to, but is indicated for these symptoms, is called COMPAZINE. I'm not positive if it is spelled compa-Z-ine or compa-S-ine, but a doctor would know what I'm talking about. This anti-emetic has been linked to a severe adverse reaction called "acathesia." I know because it happend to me

A third medication indicated as an anti-emetic is called FENERGEN or something of the like. It sounds just like i spelled it here. I am not allergic to this one, but I don't find it to be very effective. I believe this one is only avaiable as a suppository, which many people find useful, as there is no risk of vomitting it back up like a pill.
    Not sure whether to call this a drawback or an advantage, as rectal administration is never pleasant.

In the hospital, I have been told that most people can't tollerate REGLAN. Luckily I am not one of those people.

Recently I had several "facet joint blocks" in addition to a "cortisone epidural" performed on my lower back. Before the procedure, I was hydrated for 1 hour. Then they brought me back to the Operating Room and administered an IV chemical cocktail of
    MAC isoflurane + a strong narcotic which felt to me like a high dose of Dilaudid or maybe a lower dose of Fentanyl (they wouldn't tell me what it was) + an ANTI-EMETIC which the surgeon said was CLEANER, STRONGER, MORE EFFECTIVE, and MORE WIDELY TOLLERATED than Reglan. Unfortunately, the cocktail hit me like a ton of bricks, and I passed out before I could memorize the name of this miracle drug. All I can remember is asking one of the doctors what the anti-emetic was and her telling me something starting with the letter "Z." I have been unable to find the rest of the name, maybe you know it?

Well, these are all of t anti-emetics I know of. I hope this helps you out. Please contact me at Slig_7@yahoo.com if you know the name of the one that started with "Z."

Have a goodun!

circle_of_willis is offline New Member

Slig7 may be right about 'anti-emetics'(meds that help nausea and vomiting) but that really doesn't address your mother's situation since she is taking Reglan as a 'promotility agent' (a medicine that improves stomach emptying).
    Do you know why your mother has a problem with stomach emptying? Diabetes is a common cause (it can cause 'gastroparesis' or paralyzed stomach). Another, older choice, of promotility agents is erythromycin, an old antibiotic. Zelnorm is a newer med that can also work.

Slig7, the anti-emetic you were probably trying to remember was Zofran.