Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eyton
Plz Help - St Johns Wort withdrawals??
    Believe is offline New Member

Default Plz Help - St Johns Wort withdrawals??

Hello -

I am new here and not sure where to post [:I] but am in desparate need of some help if anyone can

I went on a form of St. John's Wort over a month ago for some mild depression and nearly instantly into taking it, had days where I was nauseous constantly. That then turned into messing up my stomach to the point of horrible digestive issues/constipation/cramping etc.along with the nausea I went to see one of my new docs who told me to get off immediately and that she didn't believe in it. (at this point I had been on it for over a month)and not really thinking about it, just went home and stopped taking it like she said. 3 dyas after I stopped it only worsened - horribly [xx(] It has now been over a week ago that I stopped cold turkey (why would she tell me to do that??) and it has been one terrible week....my symptoms only magnified and I panicked. Truly it didn't occur to me that this could be withdrawal symptoms until today when I just started crying for no reason - 3x in a row today!! - I just thought something must be terribly wrong with my body or it is something I have been eating since I have heard that SJW is "harmless" and won't produce withdrawals like other drugs. Has anyone else had trouble with SJW or a similar experience both during and after?? I truly need to know I am not losing it here! TIA

CONCERNED LOVE is offline New Member

ST JOHN'S WART MAKES ME TIRED! TRY SOME RED CLOVER AND SLIPPERY ELM TO HELP YOUR STOMACH. LOOK INTO INCREASING YOUR VITAMINE B-12, MAYBE EVEN TAKE A B-MLTPL, YOU ARE PROBS LACKING IN THOOSE VITAMINES, YOU CAN GET THAT TESTED! YOU MAY NOT NEED MEDICATION AT ALL, JUST VITIMINES!

Sabina21 is offline New Member

Hi Believe !

I am very surprised to read of your reaction and withdrawal trouble from SJW. It has been known to cause digestive upsets in some people but no more severe than indigestion. I have never heard of a reaction like this. It sounds to me that the problem has been either an allergic reaction to the pills or something in them. OR a reaction with something else you were taking ? Were you taking any other medication of any kind at the time ? I have never heard of withdrawal from SJW, it can as far as I know be discontinued with no side effects. If you were taking any other type of anti-depressant it is possible you have suffered something called serotonin syndrome. I'd seek medical advice again if you haven't already ! here is a link to an excellent free forum and info site about SJW. You will find answers to anything re SJW there. Regards, Sabina.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-19-2010 at 04:51 AM.

wow, I so did not know that could happen.

debbiegrace is offline New Member

Unlikely to still be the SJW by now, but your 'mild' depression could give you the symptoms you prescribe though unusual. For tummy stuff ginger tea works well, and be careful with food as anything rich will make you feel worse. Stick to bland food, but make sure you drink enough to stay hydrated. There usually aren't side effects from SJW but that does not mean there can never be.

bris is offline New Member

Default Withdrawals

Quote Originally Posted by Sabina21 View Post
    Hi Believe !

I am very surprised to read of your reaction and withdrawal trouble from SJW. It has been known to cause digestive upsets in some people but no more severe than indigestion. I have never heard of a reaction like this. It sounds to me that the problem has been either an allergic reaction to the pills or something in them. OR a reaction with something else you were taking ? Were you taking any other medication of any kind at the time ? I have never heard of withdrawal from SJW, it can as far as I know be discontinued with no side effects. If you were taking any other type of anti-depressant it is possible you have suffered something called serotonin syndrome. I'd seek medical advice again if you haven't already ! here is a link to an excellent free forum and info site about SJW. You will find answers to anything re SJW there. Regards, Sabina.

I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms from SJW today. I have previously taken Zoloft and Effexor for major depression/bi-polar treatment. At least once during treatment of each of the medications I stopped taking them abruptly and suffered heart palpitations, dizziness, stomach upsets and headaches. I don't know if its the combination of these symptoms or something else but it is definitely a unique feeling that I have only ever felt after stopping these two drugs. I felt this again today - months after finishing up properly on the two abovementioned drugs. I immediately thought of SJW as its the only drug/herb I have taken recently. Its been 3-4 days since i stopped. I can say with absolute confidence that the herb caused me to suffer withdrawals. I have also read it in various studies reported online. Its not as rare or impossibly as you may think.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-19-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Eyton is offline New Member

Hi -

Withdrawl symptoms from any substance can be very hard to deal with.

When medical intervention is not necessary, one may discover that natural cleansing can help very much... Things such as taking sea salt baths, drinking an abundance of water ( especially fresh lemon water ), juicing, using therapuetic clays, and even doing gentle stretching excercises are safe ways that some people have found to be safe and beneficial.
    linje likes this.

ktrocks89 is offline New Member

I was taking St. John's Wart for a little while, and I wouldnt say I necessarily need it but I've been under quite some stress lately. So I stopped taking it for a few days and I felt like the world hated me, my boss was going to fire me, and I felt like I was in some horrible dream and all I wanted was to wake up.

Worty is offline New Member

Default St John's Wort Withdrawel DOES happen

Quote Originally Posted by Believe View Post
    Hello -

I am new here and not sure where to post [:I] but am in desparate need of some help if anyone can

I went on a form of St. John's Wort over a month ago for some mild depression and nearly instantly into taking it, had days where I was nauseous constantly. That then turned into messing up my stomach to the point of horrible digestive issues/constipation/cramping etc.along with the nausea I went to see one of my new docs who told me to get off immediately and that she didn't believe in it. (at this point I had been on it for over a month)and not really thinking about it, just went home and stopped taking it like she said. 3 dyas after I stopped it only worsened - horribly [xx(] It has now been over a week ago that I stopped cold turkey (why would she tell me to do that??) and it has been one terrible week....my symptoms only magnified and I panicked. Truly it didn't occur to me that this could be withdrawal symptoms until today when I just started crying for no reason - 3x in a row today!! - I just thought something must be terribly wrong with my body or it is something I have been eating since I have heard that SJW is "harmless" and won't produce withdrawals like other drugs. Has anyone else had trouble with SJW or a similar experience both during and after?? I truly need to know I am not losing it here! TIA
    Oh yeah! Totally! I took St John's Wort for a few months and it worked wonders during the first few weeks....then I started feeling anxiety and also a weird "psychotic" sensation in my mind.....then I stopped cold turkey and started getting the shakes, more anxiety and still this weird psychotic feeling. My conclusion: St John's Wort withdrawal and side effects DOES exist.
    I hope it will go away soon.

perfectbrilliant is offline New Member

Default St Johns Wort has Massive side effects

I have taken St Johns Wort for temporary episodes of stress, emotional overwhelm and depression about 3 times in the past. It definitely works but has major side effects, AND withdrawal issues. Debilitating light sensitivity, high blood pressure, headaches, dry mouth, excessive anger, heart palpitations and heat were some side effects. If you taper off of the herb slowly over a period of about 2 weeks there are no withdrawals. However if you stop suddenly you will feel strong emotional and physical symptoms. For me it was hot flashes, tiredness, headache, tingling in arms, depression (crying for no reason), and a feeling that other people don't like me (also mentioned in this thread). I have spoken to others who have taken it and they say similar things. I have no idea where anyone would get the idea that there are no side effects or withdrawals from taking this herb. Just keep in mind that the withdrawals do pass in time.

hunter2003 is offline New Member

Angry I stopped St johns Wort 3 days ago

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbrilliant View Post
    I have taken St Johns Wort for temporary episodes of stress, emotional overwhelm and depression about 3 times in the past. It definitely works but has major side effects, AND withdrawal issues. Debilitating light sensitivity, high blood pressure, headaches, dry mouth, excessive anger, heart palpitations and heat were some side effects. If you taper off of the herb slowly over a period of about 2 weeks there are no withdrawals. However if you stop suddenly you will feel strong emotional and physical symptoms. For me it was hot flashes, tiredness, headache, tingling in arms, depression (crying for no reason), and a feeling that other people don't like me (also mentioned in this thread). I have spoken to others who have taken it and they say similar things. I have no idea where anyone would get the idea that there are no side effects or withdrawals from taking this herb. Just keep in mind that the withdrawals do pass in time.
    I do as well dont understand after taking it for 8 days or so I developed high blood pressure , hot flashes , burning sensation in face headaches , went to dr and they said they felt it was the medicine and to give it time how long is it going to take to get out of my system ? HELP

hunter2003 is offline New Member

Angry withdrawal side effects after stopping St Johns Wort

Took St Johns Wort and Ginseng for about 10 days or so then one day out of the blue my bp spiked high and went to er they did chest xrays ekg etc... all normal .. pee and blood also normal . they seem to think it was the herbs . I have still elevated bp I stopped taking them on fri 14th and I havent taken them this is day 4 I have flushing and heat off my face and neck , burning sensation around my eyes etc... HELP how long does it take to get out of your system and has anyone experienced this ???

Anonymous Guest

The symptoms and sickness we get these days were once only treated by natural substances. More than half the drugs and meds we take today are derived from a natural source. Opium, nicotine, caffiene, etc. all naturally occuring and all can cause mild to severe withdrawals it all depends on the person. Our bodies are all the same and different too when it comes to brain chemicals and how well they are produced and distributed. I have never heard of withdrawal from SJW and at first was thinking it had to be something else but after thinking about it I think it is very possible.

linje is offline New Member

Default Withdrawal from st johns wort

Withdrawals
    I was taking St Johns Wort for nearly 3mths and Eve Primrose Oil for few wks. I suffered from Agoraphobia, Anxiety and am Pre menopausal. My symptoms were not improving so my doc has put me on Busperone. I am thinking positive about this med having read numerous POSITIVE reviews BUT I have felt awful since coming off sjw although I already suffered horrible heartburn/nausea indigestion whilst on it. I waited 5days from coming off sjw to starting buspar my doc said should be ok after 48hrs but did stop sjw almost cold turkey. Symptoms now! aching head, eyes, still indigestion etc, palpitations even worse first thing in mornings, depression. Please can anyone give me any idea how long these probs will last.

Earlesurfs is offline New Member

I got laid off my job and I went on a huge alcohol benge. When I quit the anxiety and depression were unbearable so I went to the doctor. He prescribed Zoloft but I have always been anti- big pharma so I look up the side effects and they seemed horrible.

I bought a tincture of sjw and have been taking it for a month and the anxiety and depression mellowed out a lot. I have been taking 60 drops three times a day. I ran out two days ago and decided to just quit. Bad idea! Last night I was so irritable and mean I started a big fight with my pregnant fiancé. My anxiety was terrible leading up to this and I could not sleep. Today I feel like I have the worst hangover ever. My brain is pounding, I cannot concentrate and looking back on the day seems like a dream or like it happened a long time ago. I am sick to my stomach and feel like ????.

I just went and bought a new bottle and am going to ween off. I have to feel better tomorrow for a job interview.