natural remedies for anxiety?
    wickkedkitten is offline New Member

Default natural remedies for anxiety?

I've recently been prescribed a low dosage of Xanax for anxiety & panic attacks and it's helping, but I've heard how addictive it can be. Because of this I'm not sure how long my dr will let me stay on them and those online/overseas pharmacies are either too expensive or too risky.

Is there anything out there OTC that really helps anxiety & panic? I've already tried Calms Forte, Valerian & Kava, but they don't have enough 'oomph' I guess. Thanks for any suggestions.

WK

echo1434 is offline New Member

Hello,

I too have tried kava, the kind purchased in pill form at GNC. I found it to be very ineffective as well. I even started taking up to 12 at a time with little noticeable effect.

However, I have heard that the kava of the nutritional supplement variety is VERY weak. I heard that a person needs to get pure kava from a grower and then grind it themselves. I think Hawaii is a good place to find someone who sells this. This form of product is far superior and really works I'm told.

I will look into this further today and see if I can come up with any places where you can find this. Take care.

JoycePaula is offline New Member

I don't know of other drugs which don't have side effects. However, a homeopath might be able to prescribe something. I also strongly recommend old-fashioned psychotherapy, if you can afford it. It takes awhile to get to he root of the panic/anxiety, and it's a hard foad to travel, but going through the process can really change your life.

Kiana is offline Junior Member

Kava is now considered liver toxic. It should not be taken.
    You have to give the herbs a bit before they start to work. They let your body heal naturally and are not an instant fix. You can take 10 drops of valerian root tincture every hour as needed for 2 weeks at a time. Good luck.

tinalou36 is offline New Member

I also suffer from panic and anxiety attacks and have been on several meds to which the side effects were almost worse than the reason I was taking them.Paxil worked good but made me gain 60 lbs. and getting of it was a nightmare.I was then on effexor which made me dizzy all the time so i got off of that after dealing with the dizziness for over a year.I have tried the valerian and it makes me extremely tired.I then heard about taking GABA for anxiety and panic and also theanine and 5- HTP,these are all natural. I am taking the GABA right now but waiting on my order of theanine and 5- HTP to arrive so dont know as of yet how well they will work,will let you know when I get them.there are several things you can find on the internet regarding all three amino acids if you are interested.Believe me after having suffered with these things for the past 5 years and losing my ability to enjoy life, I am willing to try anything within reason but would rather go natural if I possibly can.hope this helps.

Kiana is offline Junior Member

Drugs and or herbs are not an easy "fix" for panic and or anxiety. The patient must seek counseling as well as a whole treatment plan for the disorder. Seek out a counselor or psychiatrist trained in anxiety/ panic treatment such as Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
    If you do not get to the root of the anxiety....it will never truly go away.
    Herbs to help:Valerian, California Poppy, Catnip (relaxes humans), passionflower, ashwagandha (good tonic for long term stress), skullcap.
    Diet and lifestyle changes are crucial for effective relief.
    Kava is now considered liver toxic. It should not be taken.
    You have to give the herbs a bit before they start to work. They let your body heal naturally and are not an instant fix. You can take 10 drops of valerian root tincture every hour as needed for 2 weeks at a time.
    It is a shame doctors do not supply their patients with enough info to really help them long term. Putting them on Xanax, Paxil, or anything drug is NEVER going to solve the problem, and is just a quick fix band-aid approach. Drugs do NOT CURE anxiety or panic attacks. They just cover up the symptoms.

Edgar is offline New Member

Hi There,

Try Muktavati (www.muktavati.com) it works a treat for insomnia and Im told also is very effective for anxiety/panic attacks. I have used it to help my patients (I'm a Yoga Therapist) to come down from very high BP and several have said that it helps them to relax. No side effects reported so worth a go. Drugs dont do a thing long term for these conditions and the seide effects are significant. I actually left a message with the people at MuktaVati and they called me back here in US - Hope this helps.

dutchman is offline Junior Member

well..I agree Muktavati is quite helpful to treat anxiety. You may also try certain yoga and meditation for relieving your anxiety.

JohnnyG is offline New Member

Default My sister's experience

Quote Originally Posted by wickkedkitten View Post
    I've recently been prescribed a low dosage of Xanax for anxiety & panic attacks and it's helping, but I've heard how addictive it can be. Because of this I'm not sure how long my dr will let me stay on them and those online/overseas pharmacies are either too expensive or too risky.

Is there anything out there OTC that really helps anxiety & panic? I've already tried Calms Forte, Valerian & Kava, but they don't have enough 'oomph' I guess. Thanks for any suggestions.

WK
    Just taking herbs for anxiety or depression or panic attacks is dangerous. I saw what my sister went through trying that. She started with Xanax, moved on to just herbs and eventually started treating her whole person. That is what ended up working.

Yoga, counseling, a girls group where she made friends and they shared stories, along with a good diet made a difference. She even got a new job.

Please don't listen to anyone who just wants you to take a herb, a different kind of pill, and treat your whole person.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Naturopathic is offline New Member

WK

You can switch from a prescription drug to an herb but it still won't really be fixing you. It just will be supressing the symptoms. Anxiety is generally caused by inflammation of both the brain and brain stem. Pollution is inflammatory. Excessive alcohol, many medications, and street drugs are inflammatory. Chronic pain is inflammatory. An acute illness is inflammatory. Emotional loss is inflammatory. Financial stress is inflammatory.A poor quality diet is inflammatory. A lack of sleep is inflammatory. Physically doing too much is inflammatory. The contents of your digestive tract are often highly inflammatory. The potential sources of inflammation that can either mold gene settings or activate gene weaknesses like anxiety are quite numerous.

I would try some anti-inflammatories like DHA, magnesium, vitamin E, quercetin and bromelain can be very effective for this sort of inflammation.

-Ben

shel46 is offline New Member

Thumbs up

For Ben - Interesting point. Thanks for the input and information. What are your thoughts on niacinamide for anxiety?

Naturopathic is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by shel46 View Post
    For Ben - Interesting point. Thanks for the input and information. What are your thoughts on niacinamide for anxiety?
    Honestly, I don't have any personal experience with anyone using niacinamide for anxiety. But from what I have been reading, it has the potential for dramatic and immediate results with very few side effects if any. This is a far cry from some of popular anti-psychotics that TRIPLE your risk of heart disease

I think its definitely worth trying.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-11-2011 at 01:55 PM.

liza012 is offline New Member

if you are not a fan of taking these drugs, try doing without them and make a conscious effort instead to change your lifestyle and your perspective. I know this is not easy but you can do it if you really want to get over your anxiety.

offsoon is offline New Member

Default ideas

Vigorous exercise, make lists, read the book "Feeling Good-The new Mood Therapy". Got it from a counselor, great book for teaching you to manage your thoughts instead of them making you feel bad. Don't under estimate Breathing and yoga. The quickest non pill stress reducer technique to knock out those worries or upsets that have by your throat is called EFT It is amazing for clearing all the zilion things that you want to get over but can't. Once the debilitating thoughts or beliefs are gone.. the are GONE.
    Eat right. Be kind to yourself. Listen to how you speak to yoursef and be kind. When everything gets hairy, tell yourself you are doing the best you can and focus on your successes. Beating yourself up with just give you more anxiety.
    Ashwangandha relaxes and L-Theanine puts your brain into Alpha mode which is very relaxing. Speaking of Alpha mode, a thing called Binaural beats is pricless.
    I take kava as needed, buy it from Sprouts. Works great, took it during preparation for your audit (ouch), makes me very clear but relaxed.
    There's also a product called AC-24 from the Pain & Stress center. It makes you calm, relaxed and very focused.
    Sometimes we get anxiety just from being over whelmed or actually being ADD. If the book "Driven to Distraction" sounds you... bingo.
    Usually you didn't get all anxious from one life event, it took a lot of little events and bad thinking habits to get you off track so say a prayer for guidance and find all the little things that will put you back in balance.
    Good luck and blesings,
    OS

sandradavis is offline Banned

If you have been medicated since your 16th birthday, you can't get in. If you lie about it, we WILL find out about it - either when you come clean and tell us or after you've had a breakdown and we start investigating.

In the past four years, I've kicked out three people for anxiety. We don't have enough people working with us to be able to take hits like that! We need everybody that serves - and if one of us can't handle the immense pressure we place on our junior folks' heads - it impacts all the people that depend upon you.

And when we find out that you lied, you lose all military benefits for which you may have been entitled. Do you want that?

steven22 is offline New Member

Anxiety is usually brought on by stress and traumatic situations, certain underlying health conditions for example cardiovascular disease, substance abuse and withdrawal, an under active thyroid, low blood sugar levels and depression happen to be associated with anxiety. Food and lifestyle factors for example use of caffeine, sugar, nicotine, medications and drugs may also bring about feelings of tension.

micheljohn is offline Banned

If you are facing a anxiety problem then you need to take a effective medicine for good health.you can treat anxiety naturally with cardio,exercise,meditation etc.

rxqueen83 is online now Member

GABA
    Valerian
    L Tyrosine
    Kava Kava (never heard of the liver issue)
    St John's Wort
    Chelated Calcium (Very important, calming)
    Magnesium
    L-Tryptophan
    Chamomile
    B & C Vitamins
    5 HTP
    Melatonin
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

herbalremedy is offline New Member

Yes I concur with what you are saying. I have found many solutions to overcoming anxiety, but like another post said, you want a full body solution. Like diet, natural remedies, exercise, etc.

Here are some options:
    Kava Kava
    Ashgawanda
    Seven Source Mushroom extract
    PassionFlower

Another good idea to help with anxiety is getting some Kombucha Tea. I get my at local organic store which is great and healthy. Did you know they have properties to help with more than just anxiety? I think it should really help you out.

hope this helps

myjade_84 is offline Junior Member

Before you even begin to examine natural anxiety treatments, remember that the only way to effectively fight anxiety is to understand your anxiety and your symptoms. There are several breathing exercises, alternate coping strategies, diets, and physical exercises that are effective for this and are surely without any side effects. Maybe you can try them. Some people also find relief by reducing their ingestion of stimulants (coffee, soda, etc.) and alcohol. Drinking more water may also be effective.
    Last edited by myjade_84; 06-22-2013 at 09:33 PM.

mikewilson01 is offline Junior Member

WK
    Anxiety isn't a type of type of condition which should go with you always and also can’t be cured at a whim. You need some type of treatment which will break the effects of anxiety so that you can live a more relaxed and happier life.

For curing it people turn towards prescription medications which can turn to be dangerous and can cause addiction risk. To avoid this, people want to treat anxiety naturally. Therapy is one of the best natural treatments. Practicing yoga, meditations, deep breathing exercises in morning and having sound sleep are some of the best natural treatments a person can opt. There is other type of naturally made supplements available in the market made out of different types of plants. But taking natural supplements is also not good as it can also cause addiction.

JordanJones5 is offline New Member

WK
    Drugs like Effexor, Cymbalta are useful in treating anxiety.One can go for pharmacychecker and cipa certified online pharmacies like jandrugs, planetdrugsdirect, bigmountain drugs.I dont reccomend to go for these pharmacies.But they could be good options to think of.

canupp46 is offline Banned

Kanna & a little Wild Dagga always worked for me. Throw in a little California Poppy if you want to feel sleepy.

KellyLewis is offline New Member

Herbal incense are quite effective in reducing stress and anxiety. They do not have any side effect, although their result are very late. You can buy them online also. Here you will get them at affordable price.

jaminhealth is offline New Member

My favorites are:

Pharma Gaba from Natural Factors -- It's very pure and best.
    Inositol (from B family) I use various brands

Calms Forte' for sleep and also anxiety....It's homeopathic. Works good for me.

Get into MEDITATION and change the brain. j