Multi-vitamin questions
    mas215 is offline Junior Member

Default Multi-vitamin questions

I see all kinds of multi-vitamins, some very expensive, others less so. My doctor told me that if I want to take one not to spend too much as most of it just goes thru your system and you urinate it out of your system (very yellow urine). In fact he said that Centrum is fine compared to some that you see at the vitamin specialty stores. It seems some doctors say go ahead if it makes you feel better, others say it's a waste of money as 98% is excreted.

Also can you take multi-vitamins on an empty stomach? I thought someone said you're wasting them if you don't take them with food and a full glass of water.

Thanks.

seppie is offline New Member

I use to take Centrum and it did not help me at all. Now I take B and C vitamins separate and have been feeling stronger and with more energy ever since. Usually just take 2 a day.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-19-2011 at 11:59 PM.

melt855 is offline New Member

Smile Multi Vitamin question

Does anyone know what kind of multi vitamin to take when your taking a thyroid suppliment. There is a iodine issue with multi vitamins that have minerals. Some don't have minerals but still may have iodine. I'm looking for one that doesn't have any iodine at all.

Thanks

Daid is offline New Member

I have a thyroid condition (hypothyroid) and take a very potent multi-vitamin with minerals and it contains iodine, but just the RDA (required daily amount) and it causes no problems at all. I was concerned but my doctor reassured me that it is larger amounts to beware of, like in kelp supplements.
    But if you are hyperthyroid iodine will mess with you bad. From your description it sounds like you are taking Synthroid or a similar thyroid hormone, and if you are, as long as the iodine is at or below 100%RDA then you will be fine. And the vitamins will do you good, so get high quality ones.

Daid is offline New Member

Your Doctor is afraid of loosing business! Take good vitamins with high amounts of Vitamin D3.It's good medicine. And find a doctor in the 21st Century.

kwilli31 is offline Banned

There are some vitamins you can take with an empty stomach but it's best to read the instructions in the package first. It is true that most of the vitamin supplements you drink will just be excreted in your urine, that's why some doctors advise taking high doses of Vitamin C to help aid in treating UTIs.

myjade_84 is offline Junior Member

Many vitamins are best ingested with food, so taking them at meal time i think would be the best thing to do. It's easy to remember to take vitamins with meals, since you are eating and drinking at that time, anyway.

mikewilson01 is offline Junior Member

Multivitamins are usually taken to cover any deficiency that occurs due to illness, poor diet or to just feel healthier. Many people take help of multivitamins for developing more energy and for improving health. But, unconcerned with the fact that excessive intake of multi-vitamins can lead to health problem and death can also happen. So would advice you not to take multi vitamin without prescribing a doctor.