good alternatives to narcotics
    Duglacias is offline New Member

Default good alternatives to narcotics

I injured my back about 3.5 weeks ago, my doctor prescribed soma and loratab for the pain. this mix works really well but also can be very addictive from what i've heard and read recently.I think this injury is going to take at least another 2-3 months to heal and I'm worried about addiction. Does anyone know how long it takes on average to get addicted to these drugs? and are there any good alternatives to narcotics? All replies are welcome and thank you for your time.

I know I'm just green with envy for you right now, because I have the opposite problem with my doctor - I really, really want something strong and he won't give me anything to relieve the pain from the operation HE performed on me!

There are lots of pain reducers, like Motrin Rx strength and Aceteminophen. Sometimes they can prescribe you narcotics for when the pain is REALLY intolerable and just Motrin or Tylenol for everyday. If you take a narcotic once every few days for 2-3 months, I think you'll be OK. Plus, a lot of the addictions you are reading about are psychologically induced cravings, not physical dependency.

Unless you're afraid of getting used to the euphoria of the narcotics... because that's the greatest danger.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

Duglacias is offline New Member

thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

mgl
    mgl is offline Junior Member

Probably there is no real alternatives to narcotic analgesics in such circumstances, because these medications are very potent.

Ketorolac (brand name Toradol), which is an NSAID, seems to be most potent of all NSAIDs. From PDR Drug information: “Toradol is indicated for the short-term (</=5 days) management of moderately severe acute pain that requires analgesia at the opioid level, usually in a postoperative setting.”

As your injury will heal you can gradually reduce the dose of both drugs you take to lessen the possibility of addiction.