Cholesterol
    ackeiyword is offline Banned

Default Cholesterol

Has anyone heard of replacing their statins with Fish Oil and Niacin? I was told this woul eliminate the muscle aches.

jacu is offline New Member

I can't take statins. Had the muscle problems and they damaged the nerves in my feet. I take Niaspan now and fish oil. I am finding that combination is working better than the statins did and with no side effects to speak of. with the niaspan you can flush but I take a aspirin before I take it and the flushing is minimal....So, there are alternatives to statins and I dont see why drs don't try them first....

cpmty is offline New Member

yes, for cholesterol is good to take or you can take (after you ask your doctor ), omega3 (about 1000+), vitam. D (2000mg to 4000mg if you are low in vit. D)
    Co.Q10, certo+concord grape 100% organic juice, cinamon (1/4 tsp mixed with tea, coffee, yogurt etc..., oatmeal and barley, these are some natural remedies.... remember some foods can't be eaten/drinking with some medications
    Last edited by cpmty; 02-19-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Naturopathic is offline New Member

No one needs to have high cholesterol. The best remedy will always be fruits, vegetables, and exercise but supplements can be used in combination or in lieu of these things.

My top supplements for high cholesterol:
    Fish oil with high DHA content (above 1,000mg of DHA)
    Tocotrienol form of Vitamin E 50mg
    A good quality food-based multivitamin
    Extra fiber

There are literally HUNDREDs of other things that work miracles but these are some of the best routes IMO. If you can get all of these in ya and try to be a little more active everyday you can kiss your high cholesterol goodbye!

faithNme is offline New Member

Cholesterol is not the only kid on the block when it comes to risk factors for heart disease. Homocysteine is a big one. The lower the better. Doctors consider 10 or 11 within range, but if you already have evidence of cardiovascular disease (high cholesterol, hypertension, high lipids, etc...) your level should be 7 or below. How do you do this? B-vitamins - 1000 mcg folic acid, 50-150 mcg of B12, 25-50 mg of B6. If level has not dropped in 6-8 weeks, try 1-5 gr of trimethylglycine (for a methylation deficiency)

PTSDCrazyMOM is offline New Member

Statins reduce Coenzyme Q10 in the body which causes muscle aches and can actually cause a heart attack. I personally would use the niacin and fish oil. What you're actually looking for is to increase your Omega 3 fatty acids by using the fish oil. You could use ground flax, flaxseed oil, or Udo's oil for this if you have any problems with the fish oil. Udo's oil is the best out there, but it's also pretty costly.

totallyforgiven is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ackeiyword View Post
    Has anyone heard of replacing their statins with Fish Oil and Niacin? I was told this woul eliminate the muscle aches.
    I am allergic to most statins, so my doctor doesn't prescribe them. My heart doctor recommend taking fish oil every day and also said foods high in omega's 3 and 6 are really good. I got to looking at the fish oil and the amount of omega's in most of them is very little, so I started looking for alternatives for the omega's 3 and 6, there is a Omega gelcap at Trader Joe's that is high in omega's, plus chai seeds are really high in Omega's 3 & 6. Chai seeds, besides being high in Omega's 3 & 6, they are high in a lot of other nutrients too and because the shell on the seeds is soluble, you do have have to grind them first, like flax seeds, they also have a lot of other benefits too, like they can absorb up to 9 times their side in liquid, therefore, a lot of people also have them with breakfast and it helps to fill them up and stay full longer, therefore they lose weight. There is a lot of good information on the web about Chai seeds(this is different than the Chia(notice the spelling)tea).

myjade_84 is offline Junior Member

Statins lower your total and LDL, or unhealthy, cholesterol, but a benefit of fish oil and niacin is that they may lower your LDL while increasing your good, or HDL, levels. Another benefit of using fish oil and niacin instead of statins is that they may lower your levels of triglycerides, which are unhealthy fats in your blood that may increase your risk for heart disease.

coolyman is offline Banned

Yes, but these two things need to be used in moderation, otherwise there will be other effects.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ackeiyword View Post
    Statins are drugs that can lower your cholesterol by blocking a substance your body needs to make cholesterol. Muscle pain and constipation generally are side effects of taking statins. Niacin can raise the "good" cholesterol — by 15 to 35 percent. This makes niacin the most effective drug available for raising HDL cholesterol. While niacin also decreases your LDL i.e bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels. High levels of LDL and triglycerides are significant risk factors for heart disease.
    Taking fish oil is one of the best things you can do to improve your muscle pain, as you experience both stress and damage resulting in increased inflammation. Fish oil helps to reduce that inflammation and aid in muscle recovery, ultimately decreasing muscle soreness and allowing you to get back to your routine quicker, With increasing age our joints tend to lose their elasticity and flexibility and taking fish oil supplements can decrease joint pain, lessen morning stiffness, and increase hand grip strength. The omega-3 fatty acids benefit your body by decreasing the activity of the chemicals that destroy cartilage as well.
    You can go in for replacing the statins with fish oil and niacin, however its better you go for doctors advice first.

totallyforgiven is offline New Member

There are lots of studies out there that say fish oil supplements do not have any benefits, other than putting money in manufacturers pockets. I have also heard that there are better ways to check cholesterol, but most doctors will not admit it, they have to keep pushing the way the American Heart Association says, or their malpractice insurance will go up.

computerworx is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by totallyforgiven View Post
    There are lots of studies out there that say fish oil supplements do not have any benefits, other than putting money in manufacturers pockets. I have also heard that there are better ways to check cholesterol, but most doctors will not admit it, they have to keep pushing the way the American Heart Association says, or their malpractice insurance will go up.
    What are the other ways to check for cholesterol?

chuacheehiong is offline New Member

The only way to check is still doing a blood test and getting reading like HDL and LDL and Triglycerides. But when u read more about it, elevated LDL is simply a sign showing that your blood vessels are in need of repair. Besides lowering it with statin, I think is best to boost the HDL by taking omega 3 and exercise.
    Oxidised LDL is the one that is harmful!! So to keep that in control, we should probably takes more antioxidants and have proper rest.

I have seen cases like patient getting stroke or heart attack even his cholesterol is well under controlled. However, some patients with slightly high LDL but they takes a lot of vegetables and fruits ended up healthy and still going strong.

So, what do u think?