Axiety relief
    tcrustay is offline New Member

Default Axiety relief

[?]Hi. I have trouble with my anxiety and panic attacks. I'm on paxil wich works very well and have taken xannax on occasion to curb my anxiety. Is there a safe herb to take as an alternative to xannax with paxil?

Tonya C Rustay

Nadine is offline New Member

Rescue Remedy can help anxiety an Acupuncture is very helpful in any mental health disorder.
    Regards nadine (Acupuncturist)

Nadine

alan1 is offline Junior Member

I agree Acupuncture is very effective in treating problems of anxiety. However, yogic asanas and meditation also help immensely in curing such problems.

Anonymous Guest

Hi there. I am very empathetic to your anxiety, and I am thankful to be off Xanax after 8 years of taking it. There is an amino acid called GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric acid) and a deficiency of this in your brain causes anxiety. I found this info in a book called "The Edge Effect" Everything in this book makes a lot of sense to me. Luckily, you can buy supplements for GABA in pill form or sublingual in the amino acid section of a heath store. I really feel like they work, and my system feels more balanced now without meds.

savisuri is offline New Member

Default Ashwagandha to reduce anxiety

Ayurveda recommends the herb ashwagandha to reduce anxiety. Yoga and mediatation are other methods which help to reduce anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Anxious View Post
    Hi there. I am very empathetic to your anxiety, and I am thankful to be off Xanax after 8 years of taking it. There is an amino acid called GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric acid) and a deficiency of this in your brain causes anxiety. I found this info in a book called "The Edge Effect" Everything in this book makes a lot of sense to me. Luckily, you can buy supplements for GABA in pill form or sublingual in the amino acid section of a heath store. I really feel like they work, and my system feels more balanced now without meds.
    GABA isn't an amino acid, it's a neurotransmitter. One of the ones affected by alcohol actually.

pr0tein is offline New Member

Have a look at EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) if you want to get a permanent solution for your problem.L

Good luck!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-12-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Dr Green is offline New Member

Default Medical MJ States

If you live in a MJ state, there are 12 of them, seek out your NORML representatives for your community...lots of help if you know were to look..

Good luck

altmeds is offline New Member

Default What works for me

I agree that meditation and yoga are great for relieving anxiety and reprogramming habitual patterns of thought. They also make you more aware of how we hold anxiety, anger, etc. in our bodies.

Once you notice that for example, your trapezius muscles in your shoulders and neck are relaxed, you can scan for that during the day and remind yourself to let them relax.

It takes some work, but once you feel the result, you will be amazed. When I first experienced the mental calmness and physical relaxation, it was like I re-learned how we are supposed to feel.

What I think is difficult for many, including myself, is making the time to meditate and do yoga. Because of that, I use a simple breathing technique I learned in one of Andrew Weil's books. It takes maybe 2 minutes, you can do it anywhere and it has profound effects on anxiety and stress.

Check out his books in your bookstore and look in the index.

karmayogi is offline New Member

Anxiety and fatigue can be effectively treated through aromatherapy, music therapy, art therapy, and herbs such as kava kava.
    All therapies/modalities mentioned there are documented as strong/good scientific evidence by Natural Standard.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-12-2010 at 09:19 AM.

MOHAWKA is offline New Member

Some great suggestions above, I really think relaxing music does the mind good. Also, getting involved in a hobby that provides motivation and comfort also helps me greatly, for myself, activities like lifting weights, frisbee golf, and rock climbing. The feeling of achievement can go a long way. I have nothing against yoga, but why not knock out two birds with one stone with a more energetic activity!(stress release and exercise).
    I would definitely seek out non-medicated remedies for anxiety before turning to drugs or herbs, although I have heard good things about phenibut, its a more absorptive derivative of the neurotransmitter GABA, in that it crosses the blood-brain barrier, and is commonly compared to diazepam (valium). dose .5-1.5g when needed; will build tolerance from day to day use.

nowuccas is offline New Member

Default Anxiety treatments.

Generalised Anxiety Disorder: There is a saying in the mental health field: "if the only tool you have in your kit is a hammer, you tend to treat everything as a nail". So it goes with doctors, and their prescription pads: handy, quick, and convenient, when trying to manage a large list of patients, with very limited time for each.

With anxiolytics (anti-anxiety medication, such as Lexapro, or Paxil, which treat both anxiety and depression) you are only addressing the symptoms, and even then, often only temporarily, as your system becomes used to it, and you have to accept the risks of an increased suicide/homicide rate, aberrant behaviour, and side effects, such as possible sexual dysfunction, (common) or weight fluctuation. For those reasons, I recommend first trying the alternatives, (which only treat the symptoms) using supplements like inositol, and SAMe, or herbal remedies, such as valerian, or c(h)amomile, but the cause, as well using the EMDR variant, EFT, and relaxation techniques. The anxiolytics/antidepressants will still be there, should the alternatives prove insufficient for you, but give them a tryout period of several weeks, first.

See anxiety treatments, at ezy build (below) in section 6. Set yourself a specific time period for worrying about anything, (say; around three quarters of an hour, possibly when you get home, or after your evening meal, but not too close to bedtime) after which, resolve firmly to refuse to even entertain the thought of worrying again on that day: realise and accept that to do otherwise would be counterproductive to your mental health, and enjoyment of life.

You will have had your "worry time" for the day, and can just write down any more thoughts that come to mind, and say to yourself: "Well, I'll just have to worry about that tomorrow, won't I?". It is important to deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, or images, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately.

When you notice something negative, such as: "I'm never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so pathetic/useless/such a loser?" or even: "I can't do this/will never get over this!", or a disturbing image, recognise that this is part of the mindset which will hold you back from progressing in your recovery. Having identified and labelled it, I first visualise a large "STOP!" sign, then I say to myself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick", instead of "tactic". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version. Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method.

Practice one of the relaxation methods in sections 2, 11, 2c, or 2i, daily, and when needed. Alternatively, give the EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. There is also a version for use in public places, (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you massage/lightly tap your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind). Section 53, and pages 2, 2.q and 2.o at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris also refer: "Even though I sometimes suffer from anxiety, I deeply and completely accept myself." Neurofeedback treatment for anxiety is increasingly becoming available. Herbal remedies, such as valerian, (which is not recommended for use if depression is also present) passionflower, or St.John's wort, are often effective, but the idea is (as with anxiolytic medication) to use them like water wings, or training wheels on a bicycle, providing initial support, and giving time for other treatments, such as therapy, and relaxation techniques, to take effect.

(The following is a variant of Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing therapy, which has been used successfully for those people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, insomnia, and anxiety: it is easily learned, quick to use, yet can be very effective. It is easy to be dismissive of such a seemingly unusual technique, but give it a good tryout, for at least a few weeks, to see if it is effective in your case).

Prior to using either of the methods in the above paragraph, first sit comfortably, and take a deep breath. Then, without moving your head, move your eyes from the left, to the right, and back again, taking around a second to do so (say: "a thousand and one": this takes approximately a second).

Repeat this procedure (without the words, although you can count, subvocally, if you like) 20 times: "A thousand and one; a thousand and two... " and so on, to a thousand and twenty. Then close your eyes and relax. Become aware of any tension or discomfort you feel.

Then open your eyes, and take another deep breath, and repeat step one, closing your eyes, and relaxing afterwards, in the same manner. Then, repeat the procedure one last time. Some people may find that this is all they need do. With experience, you may find that you can practise this in public, with your eyes closed, which greatly widens the window of opportunity for its use, and avoids attracting unwanted attention. I have found that the 2 - 3 minutes spent using the EMDR markedly reduces distractions to the relaxation process, and is repaid many times over.

I also use it prior to my chosen relaxation technique, after lights out, at night. For more about Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing therapy, showing recommendations by those who have used it, including a professional psychotherapist with more than 20 years of experience in that field, see sections 33 - 34, at ezy-build. She was skeptical, at first, and I remained unconvinced, until trying it, and now I use it twice daily, including after lights out, at night.

siamacupuncture is offline New Member

You may also want to consider trying homeopathy for your anxiety. Homeopathic remedies are chosen in regard to your specific symptoms.

Here's an article on altMD.com that correlates specific symptoms to many of the homeopathic remedies used for anxiety: Homeopathy for Anxiety

cess06 is offline New Member

I think you should try therapy, it doesn't harm anything and could help you.

texasjim812 is offline New Member

Tonya, My wife is on many head drugs for depression and a few pain's pill for disc problems and Fiber Myalgia, she wants to not take so many because of her just spacing out,,,,We are both in our middle 50's and have tried pot, to relive tension and just try to get a alternative, it calms her down alot and is very relaxing,,,, and we laugh again, I love to see her laugh and also we have drank Valerian Root I belives it works very well, just be carefull on mixing anything with your meds,, ,, I think "Captian Crunch" cereal is ok to take with anything,,,,,, one side effect on pot is the munchies
    Last edited by texasjim812; 07-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Dmitriy best life is offline New Member

Arrow You need no drugs to fight depression in a day time !

Hi everybody!
    An "asymmetrical but an adequate" answer may come from Russia. I only beg You to spare some time to learn about the Functonal state Corrector - a hi-tech offspring from the space shuttle "Buran" program. It will correct your organism not only on physical level, but the first sing one notice when start using the FSC - is a state of mind change. You need no. 1, 2, & 3 FSC After a couple of month, when an organism will become detoxed and balanced a very gentle weight regulation may start. Depression will go away in a day time, You will want to remember Your hobby activities.
    It's a compleetly new approach to health maintenance, absolutely unknown outside the Russian Federation.
    The depression is not worth treating. It is not worth Your attention at all!
    I gave no.1 FSC to my neighbor for a try. His business was not going well recently and he intended to visit a psychologist the next day. Never came, and find excuses not to return the FSC for 3 month!
    I did a great job to translate the information, our site link could be found in public profile. Contact me via e-mail!
    A new Year is coming soon! Happy New Year. I wish You a good health and all Your dreams fulfillment!

Whyme90046 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitriy best life View Post
    Hi everybody!
    An "asymmetrical but an adequate" answer may come from Russia. I only beg You to spare some time to learn about the Functonal state Corrector - a hi-tech offspring from the space shuttle "Buran" program. It will correct your organism not only on physical level, but the first sing one notice when start using the FSC - is a state of mind change. You need no. 1, 2, & 3 FSC After a couple of month, when an organism will become detoxed and balanced a very gentle weight regulation may start. Depression will go away in a day time, You will want to remember Your hobby activities.
    It's a compleetly new approach to health maintenance, absolutely unknown outside the Russian Federation.
    The depression is not worth treating. It is not worth Your attention at all!
    I gave no.1 FSC to my neighbor for a try. His business was not going well recently and he intended to visit a psychologist the next day. Never came, and find excuses not to return the FSC for 3 month!
    I did a great job to translate the information, our site link could be found in public profile. Contact me via e-mail!
    A new Year is coming soon! Happy New Year. I wish You a good health and all Your dreams fulfillment!
    is it mainly for depression or can be used for panic attacks too? because you say it takes several months but most people want a solution for their anxiety right at the time it happens.