Aspirin side effects
    ptcampbell is offline New Member

Default Aspirin side effects

I recently read a Natural Cures book by Kevin Troudeu who stated that aspirin can cause blindness. I've never heard of this before. Is it true?

tinalou36 is offline New Member

Have never heard that before nor have I ever heard of anyone going blind from taking asprin,otherwise all those heart patient on asprin therapy would all be going blind?

Kiana is offline Junior Member

As an herbalist, and an avid alternative health advocate, I checked into Kevin Trudeaus website. No where on there can you find a way to contact him to ask questions about what he is touting all over the world. No where on his site is actual evidence of what he is saying. I have watched his show on T.V. with interest. He claims all this "stuff", but gives no studies, or other info to back up what he is saying. The one thing that caught my ear was that "they" put additives in food to make us addicted, but gives no clear info on the subject. My father in law bought his book, and was sadly disappointed.
    Personally, I believe he is just out for the almighty dollar and knows nothing of what he really speaks. He is not a naturapath, or a homeopath, or an herbalist or anything else. He is just a man trying to instill fear and make a buck...sad that they allow him to do this.

debs2005 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by ptcampbell

I recently read a Natural Cures book by Kevin Troudeu who stated that aspirin can cause blindness. I've never heard of this before. Is it true?
    I bought Kevin's book and I was VERY disappointed. I may not be a Doctor but Aspirin is harmless, I would bet the farm on it. I thought Kevin's book would be like a recipe type book of ideas and simple cures for certain ailments. Instead it is just a giant conspiracy theory book where everything we like or enjoy is bad for us supposedly and we are supposed to revert to Cave Man days and not wear deodorant or wash with tap water. He's nuts. Common sense will tell you and your body will if you listen to it what is good and what isn't good for it. Supposedly he's not getting rich or selling anything but all of his advice ends with having a colonic and involve expensive Health Store ingredients that most of us dont' have access to anyway or can't afford. No Thanks Kevin.. I am with you on not opting for Surgery and pills all the time but I will keep my antiperspirant and hygiene products Thank you.[8D]

~*~*~*DEB*~*~*~

3rdsista is offline New Member

I have heard of the fact that aspirin is now linked to Macular
    Degeneration.

Here goes;

Buried under all the heart-hype from aspirin makers is a study linking
    this drug to America's epidemic of macular degeneration!

HOW IT HAPPENS. Doctors putting patients on aspirin-a-day therapy don't realize that this drug makes your retinas more likely to hemorrhage--a primary cause of macular degeneration.

No wonder researchers are finding that many sufferers have been taking aspirin frequently!

If you're on it, get off it. Whatever you're using aspirin for, you've got far better natural alternatives now.

This information comes from the newsletter of Dr. David G. Williams

Alternatives
    PO Box 2000
    Ranson, WV 25438-9930

1-800-843-8408

This information is from the horses mouth, check it and my website out

http://www.a1-natural-health-and-beauty.com

3rdsista

lane413 is offline Member

I have also heard that asprin can caused blindness, but i heard this from my psychologist/minister. I was on 325mg asprin regiment for my heart. I did a drug tracker on this site and discoveredd asprin countered my blood pressure meds. I stopped taking the asprin.

I must say my eye sight has gotten better since stopping the asprin.

circle_of_willis is offline New Member

Let me clear up some misinformation about aspirin.

First of all, Kevin Trudeau is a convicted thief and fraud who recently had to pay millions in fines and give up infomercials about health products (his book infomercials are a loophole in the agreement with the FTC). There are no shortage of people offering health care advice; I recommend avoiding the known criminals whatever their message.

Second, aspirin is by far NOT a harmless medication. Even though it may be natural (originally derived from willow bark), it can have significant toxicity and risks. It IS, however, literally a life-saving medication for many people. It reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack in people who are at risk for cardiovascular disease. There is no question about this; it has been studied too extensively for anyone to seriously contest this fact.

Next, aspirin is actually protective against macular degeneration. This too has been studied fairly extensively. I believe what Trudeau and others are referring to is that in rare cases, aspirin can cause retinal bleeding that can worsen vision in people with macular degeneration. This is far from aspirin causing 'an epidemic' of the disease.

In general, only people who have significant risk of cardiovascular disease should be on daily aspirin therapy. A general rule of thumb is a risk of 6% or more of having stroke/heart attack over the next 10 years. Below this level of risk, the potential risks probably outweigh the benefits. And even then, low dose aspirin (81mg/day) is usually the rule.

Hope this clears up the confusion. For those who have stopped aspirin because of concern for 'blindness,' I would suggest discussing the issue with your physician.

I know asprin has life saving benefits, but how do i know i am not in the 1% that asprin cause irreversible damage. I was on asprin for over five years and now i suffer eye problems. I've had three surgeries on my right eye and still having problems

I think people (the patient) not the doctors should decide if they want to take a risk of being blind over having a heart attack or stroke.

circle_of_willis is offline New Member

Of course patients should decide what therapy they should be on. The ideal would be a proactive patient who takes the information and/or recommendations that physicians provide and combines them with other available information, then compares the risks vs the benefits.
    Whether or not aspirin had any effect on your eyes...i dunno.
    Did you bleed into your retinas? What exactly is wrong with your eyes?
    What was the surgery supposed to do?

quote:Originally posted by circle_of_willis

Of course patients should decide what therapy they should be on. The ideal would be a proactive patient who takes the information and/or recommendations that physicians provide and combines them with other available information, then compares the risks vs the benefits.
    Whether or not aspirin had any effect on your eyes...i dunno.
    Did you bleed into your retinas? What exactly is wrong with your eyes?
    What was the surgery supposed to do?
    Yes i bled from both retinas. I had a several holes in the optic somexxx and blood was in the retinas. The surgeries were to close the holes and stop the bleeding. I know asprin is oood for some, but i prrefer to not take it after all i've gone through. I had five surgeries on my right eye and three on the left eye. As a result of this asprin therapy, i am doomed to have poor vision forever. My opthamologist says there is nothing he can do for me.

natdoc is offline New Member

Default Aspirin Contraindications

While agreeing with the proposition that Kevin Trudeau is nothing but a thief and a repeatedly-convicted con artist, you are advised to do ten minutes of research. For starters, 300 to 500 Americans drop deader than a doornail each year from taking a "normal" dosage of aspirin. That's just for starters.

Over 10 percent of patients who take low-dose aspirin to ward off a heart attack develop peptic ulcers, which often have no symptoms.

This was the finding of researchers at the University of Western Sydney in Australia. Tthey studied 187 patients (with endoscopy) who had been taking 75 milligrams to 325 milligrams of aspirin daily for at least a month.

The researchers found that 10.7 percent of patients in their study developed ulcers at least 3 millimeters in diameter. However, only 20 percent experienced symptoms that were significantly different from patients with no ulcers, which means many people may not know the ulcers exist.

After three months, endoscopy was repeated among the 113 people who did NOT have ulcers when the study began. Over 7 percent had developed an ulcer during this period. This boosted the annual ulcer rate to 28 percent.

All the large long term trials of aspirin after myocardial infarction show no effect on mortality

Aspirin may change the way vascular events present rather than prevent them

This may lead to a "cosmetic" reduction in non-fatal events and an increase in sudden death

Data on the safety and cost-benefit of aspirin are inadequate

Advocating the use of aspirin for preventing atherosclerotic events diverts attention from other, more effective, drugs

Trials Do Not Show That Aspirin Saves Lives

Meta-analysis is increasingly viewed either as a way of verifying that the outcome of an individual trial is consistent with the rest of the known data or as a way of generating a hypothesis.

However, in the absence of a definitively positive trial, many consider meta-analysis inadequate evidence for clinical decision making. The series of meta-analyses from the trialists' collaboration contains serious additional flaws.

It is remarkable and probably statistically significant how seldom trials of antiplatelet agents have shown benefit on their selected primary outcome. The choice of the primary endpoint by the Antithrombotic Trialists' Collaboration is arbitrary and suspect.

Antiplatelet agents seem to be substantially more effective in reducing the incidence of non-fatal events than in reducing death. Indeed, among large long-term trials after myocardial infarction there is no evidence that aspirin saves lives.

In short, any doctor who suggests aspirin is not much of a doctor. More importantly, you, I, and the rest of the human all have a common trait:
    WE ARE FOOLISH TO LISTEN TO ANY ONE PERSON OR SOURCE. Get your fingers busy and obtain a dozen or more "expert" opinions before forming your own. Be well!

NatDoc

natdoc is offline New Member

Default Circle of Willis Needs To Hush Up and Study

As the first human to read a book or more per day for more than fourteen thousand days, I could tear my hair out when I read the mumblings of the most dangerous humans on earth: those who have a little bit of knowledge.

TO QUOTE WILLIS: "It IS, however, literally a life-saving medication for many people. It reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack in people who are at risk for cardiovascular disease"

As the only one in this forum with an I.Q. north of 180, let me promise you, with the greatest imaginable vigor of discourse, that the quote cited in my previous paragraph is not merely poppycock: it is deadly opposite to the truth.

Please, do not pay heed at any time, including the instant post, to any one human. If you look around the internet, you might start by doing your searches at the search engines with the following added to your search:
    -.com
    That's a minus sign right next to the dot com. This way, you weed out all of the .com's that are trying to sell you something.

You only need to do five or ten minutes' worth of research each day on WHATEVER NARROWLY CONCERNS YOU to rapidly develop your expertise.

For example, not one in a thousand M.D.'s can recite one hundred facts about any narrow specific area of interest. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that when YOU know 100 facts about your narrow interest, you are equal or superior in knowledge about it than your doctor. That's why you are encouraged to learn, learn, learn. Mr Willis, please remain silent, for careless information such as you have sought to promulgate is irretrievably lethal or dangerous to those who are foolish enough to listen to your statement which is purely unsupported by modern science. Please note that the attack is on your statement, not on you.