Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Anti-depressant alternatives
    pennsy is offline New Member

Default Anti-depressant alternatives

Does anyone know of any alternative medicine approaches for depression. I'm aware of St Johns Wort. Wondering if there are other options available.

ehcehc is offline New Member

Definately! I use SAM-E. it has helped me immensly. no side effects/withdrawal.

also there is a supplement called Serenity. it is "natural" and contains lithium orotate. It is lithium but in a extremely tiny dose. The way it works supposedly is there is another active ingredient that carries the lithium through the body more effectively.
    I have not tried it.

You can look both up online and find a decent amount of info.
    Good Luck!
    -CHE

sach is offline New Member

I am taking 200 mg of SAM e for my depression and anxiety along with Zoloft and xanax. Does anybody know if this is safe ?

eugene is offline New Member

Does SAM-E actually work?

I have tried St Johns Wort but don't like the problems with light sensitivity.

Celestearc is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by pennsy

Does anyone know of any alternative medicine approaches for depression. I'm aware of St Johns Wort. Wondering if there are other options available.
    I just started taking 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) which is a precursor to tryptophan. My first dose of 100 mgs. was yesterday, so it is too soon to tell if it does anything yet. Has anyone else had any experience with 5-HTP?

wallsal55 is offline New Member

Hi, I tried St. John's wort, but it gave me headaches...so back to the lab stuff...prozac! I have tried 5HTP, but I had to take it about half-strength. Helped with mood....I heard nausea can be a side affect, and I did experience that with the full dose, that's why I did the half-strength.
    Melatonin helps a lot with being refreshed in the morning and being able to "sleep in" late. Take before bedtime.
    I am menopausal and wake in the night....lie there for 2 hours. That's when I take it and then sleep in. I also have seas. aff. disorder, so my sleep patterns are screwed up.
    I have found Evening Primrose Oil to be calming and soothing.
    Kava Kava is still available online, but they are not sure if it affects the liver. (Kava Kava is for anxiety). Be sure to tell your physician if you try Kava.
    For suppressing Hot Flashes, I used SOY CARE capsules. It works!
    Available at CVS, Snyder's, Kmart, other drug stores, and online at the Vitamin Shoppe, and drugstore.com Prices start at $12.99

Looking4Help is offline Junior Member

I think you need to look at your lifestyle choices, eating, exercise...

I know some have said Sam E is an alternative, but how safe is it???

I do not believe it is safe to take with antidepressants, so those of you who are may want to double check on this.

I have been going through withdrawal know for 16 days, went cold turkey off Lexapro and Klonopin.

As bad as the withdrawals are, I refuse to go back on any of the ****.

I would rather eat better, exercise and get some good rest.

Good luck.

qwert12 is offline New Member

I would like to get off of lexapro. What kind of withdrawals should I expect? I have been on it about 2 months. I seem to have headaches, weight gain, insomnia and terrible sweats since taking it.

Marchelle Denman

stevewagner is offline New Member

I suffered from depression for many years from my childhood on. It didn't help that I inherited this condition from my father, mother and grandfather who all suffered from depression.

But I beat it without taking harmful drugs.

There are many natural alternatives to depression but first you MUST get off the medication. Otherwise, the alternatives won't help, and might actually make things worse.

I can't list everything I know to help depression but here's just a few things.

1. The B vitamin group. This group of vitamins, especially if taken in sufficient quantity is great for the nerves, especially niacin which you can actually feel opening the capilaries in your head. Talk about a head rush.

2. You could take some amino acid supplements such as L-tryptophan. These are excellent for treating depression.

3. Other vitamins besides B include vitamin C and minerals such as magnesium.

4. Keep busy. I mean it. The best part of my cure was when I forced myself out of bed (yes, that's how bad it got, I just laid there) and made myself do something. I remember when I was 20 and terribly depressed I took up songwriting. I've been now writing music for almost 30 years. It is the best therapy.

The point is, you don't have to take medications for your depression.

Naturally before getting off medication consult with your doctor but please consider a natural life.

It works wonders. Take it from somebody who has been there.

Steve Wagner
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-02-2010 at 05:14 PM.

mgl
    mgl is offline Junior Member

qwert12,

The likelihood and severity of withdrawal symptoms seems to be associated with the duration of treatment and the dose of medication. Possible symptoms: flu-like symptoms, dizziness, lightheadedness, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, sweating, anxiety, crying spells, insomnia, irritability.

And there's a huge thread about Lexapro withdrawal:
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_>>=7826

raspberry60 is offline New Member

I find omega-3 fish oil capsules helpful, when taken in high-doses. I use it PRN when feeling particularly bad. I just took 6 1000-mg capsules now.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-02-2010 at 05:15 PM.

drugbuster is offline Banned

Default A testimonial for EMPowerPlus

I convinced a friend of mine to try EMPowerPlus from Truehope.com for her anxiety and depression and she wrote this testimonial for me. I am extremely impressed with Truehope's followup... calling her every week to see how she is doing while taking the product. ( Does your doctor do that ?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost exactly 3 years ago, I was diagnoses as having chronic anxiety
    and depression. After several months of trying natural help, I was not
    really getting better, at least not very quickly. Though I wasn't and still
    am not, a "medication" kind of person, I felt for the sake of my children,
    I should get help from a doctor. I tried three different kinds of
    medications before I found relief from my symptoms in Paxil. I knew being on
    medication all my life was not a plan I wanted to be on, but for the moment I felt so much better. I could actually make dinner for my family and do the
    running around a mother does for her family. I felt human again.
    Unfortunately the Paxil made me gain about 50 pounds, but we take the bad with the good sometimes. I was just happy to be functional.

After 2 1/2 years, I was in a different place in my life, emotionally
    and physically, so I decided to try going off the medication. I wanted to
    know how I would do not on the medication. I figured if I could handle it
    great, but if not, I would just go back on. Fortunately for me, it wasn't too
    hard. I did feel sick to my stomach for a couple of days, and a little
    grumpy for a couple of days, and then I felt okay. I could still feel
    the anxiety and depression surfacing sometimes, if I had too much going on,
    or one of my teenagers helping me feel sooo good about my self as they do.
    I thought maybe it would be a good idea to try natural help again, since
    it was really the only way I would know if I could stay off the
    medication. I needed to give something else, besides medication, a fighting chance.

I started on the EMPower Plus product. It took a day or two, but then
    I started noticing I had more energy and my mind felt more clear. It's
    kind of hard for me to remember sometimes when I'm really busy, to take it 3
    times a day, and sometimes even 2 times a day, but I find that after
    the second day, I notice a real difference in how I feel. In fact I've
    felt a small panic attack coming on on occasion. Then I get back to taking
    the product and I can really feel a difference in how I feel. I get so
    much more done when I'm consistant with taking the EMPower Plus. I'm also a calmer, nicer, happier person.

I did have a problem with sleeping at night for a few weeks. I didn't
    sleep well, but with the EMPower, I had enough energy during the day for
    quite a while. Eventually though, I had to do something about the lack of
    sleep. I took Melatonin for a couple of weeks and it took care of the sleeping
    problem.

I do recommend the EMPower products. It has really made a difference
    in my life. If you are concerned about being on medications and wondered
    what to take instead, this would be the product.

Good luck. I hope things go well for you.

samantha44 is offline New Member

I have been down the road looking for alternative treatment for depression. I was getting nowhere with my doctor. All he wanted to do was drug me up and send me on my way. You could tell he was not very interested and thought that I was the problem; and that I enjoyed the attention. SO FRUSTRATING!!!

I did a lot of searching online, offline, talking with friends, etc. I decided I wanted to try and cure my depression without medication -- I would try supplements and lifestyle changes. It makes sense; I do not see how a pill could cure depression.

"Depression is classically defined as a psychiatric disorder characterized by feelings of extreme sadness or guilt, an inability to concentrate, helplessness, hopelessness, and thoughts of death that can lead to some degree of impairment—whether mild, moderate, or severe. It can appear as a result of life changes such as divorce, loss of a job, or death of a loved one.

Depression may also come about gradually for no apparent reason at all. The familiar adage, “sound body-sound mind,” is thus appropriate in reference to this disorder because depression is commonly entangled with a myriad of diverse health conditions and illnesses. The importance of uncovering potential imbalances or deficiencies in the body is therefore crucial to effective treatment of and recovery from this devastating condition. Statistically, depression is the second most common medical condition observed in general medical practice today—behind hypertension alone. An estimated 16% of adult Americans suffer from major depression at some point in their lives, and of these, only 25% receive adequate treatment."

GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR SEARCH!

Sabina21 is offline New Member

I've tried 5HTP and noticed immediately that my sleep improved but that I had really weird vivid dreams, after just a small dose.
    I have also had moderate improvement in mood with SJW.
    Have you heard of a herb (adaptogen) called Rhodiola Rosea ? I've been taking it for a few weeks, it has improved my energy, mood and stamina. I can give you some links to more info if you like ?
    Good luck ! I've been on and off all types of prescription drugs for many years, I am still hoping to find the alternative, like I say, this one looks promising for me. It is meant to have many other health benefits too.

Sabina.

jamesperterson is offline New Member

My doctor recommend Lithium Orotate supplement not expensive......
    Last edited by jamesperterson; 03-09-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Grammer mistake soory

cess06 is offline New Member

My friend have been on zoloft over a year now. He have been know to drink to excess on occassion and he have never had any interactions with zoloft.

Just want to remind you it can lower your sex drive.

chastesin is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwert12 View Post
    I would like to get off of lexapro. What kind of withdrawals should I expect? I have been on it about 2 months. I seem to have headaches, weight gain, insomnia and terrible sweats since taking it.

Marchelle Denman
    I was on lexapro for post partum depression..about 3 months! I was tapered off with help from my doctor and suffered no withdrawals at all. Every person is different, but Lexapro is an MAOI inhibitor, not a narcotic. It's easier to taper from.

Good luck!

chastesin is offline Junior Member

Let me first say there are many forms of depression....chronic depression, manic depression, bi-polar disorder, acute depression etc..

Yes, the first step to fighting depression is to get with a good shrink that you like. They often do interviews and some even give your first visit free so that you can feel each other out. They will help you learn about meditation and distractions, breathing and diet (diet is actually very important..did you know that cow's milk increases anxiety?) They are the experts!

If you don't want to take a medical form and would like to stay hollistic, tell your shrink! They really are just there to help!

But it is also VERY important that if you have any feelings of suicide, even just thinking about it, that you rat yourself out to someone right away, preferably a doctor or shrink. They are both available 24/7. You can even call a crisis center helpline.

Depression is not just mind over matter in all cases. Sometimes it's actually a chemical imbalence in the brain..and that's why certain drugs are perscribed!

Linchi is offline New Member

Hi all. This may have already been stated but it is imperative that you have your condition properly diagnosed before trying herbal remedies, for the same reason you should have a diagnosis before starting medication. Depression can be only one component of a multiple component mental disorder. The type of supplement differs depending on the underlying condition(s).

If you have a GP, psychiatrist, psychologist, naturopath, please get them to talk to each other. This can sometimes be difficult since some health practitioners are very conservative. Remember that the patient, ie YOU, is the key figure in the scenario and don't be afraid to push that point. You have a say in the management of your health and it is the responsibility of your health practitioner(s) to take that into consideration. Teamwork often gets superior results.

Another very important thing to remember is to never take both conventional antidepressants and herbal remedies unless specifically recommended by your practitioner(s)! The interactions can be both detrimental and dangerous. If you already are on prescription antidepressants and want to switch to natural remedies, you must confer with your doctor and your natural health practitioner, since most antidepressants need to be gradually phased out. In addition, a wash-out period may be needed between cessation of the drugs and commencement of the herbs.

You can however safely add physical exercise and a healthy diet to any treatment program you may be on. These have been found to have a substantial effect on almost all cases of depressive disorders. Safe supplements include fish oil and vitamin D but have the dosages checked by your natural therapist. Fish oil contains essential amino acids important in the production of many brain chemicals, but may in some instances be contraindicated in high dosages.
    Vitamin D deficiency is probably more common than first thought and can, at the very least, hamper the recovery from depressive conditions.

Dmitriy best life is offline New Member

Arrow It takes only a day to fight depression

Hi everybody!
    An "asymmetrical but an adequate" answer may come from Russia. I only beg You to spare some time to learn about the Functonal state Corrector - a hi-tech offspring from the space shuttle "Buran" program. It will correct your organism not only on physical level, but the first sing one notice when start using the FSC - is a state of mind change. You need no. 1, 2, & 3 FSC After a couple of month, when an organism will become detoxed and balanced a very gentle weight regulation may start. Depression will go away in a day time, You will want to remember Your hobby activities.
    The depression is not worth treating. It is not worth Your attention at all!
    I gave no.1 FSC to my neighbor for a try. His business was not going well and he intended to visit a psychologist the next day. Never came, and find excuses not to return the FSC for 3 month!
    I did a great job to translate the information, our site link could be found in public profile. Contact me via e-mail!
    A new Year is coming soon! Happy New Year. I wish You a good health and all Your dreams fulfillment!

Linchi is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitriy best life View Post
    Hi everybody!
    I only beg You to spare some time to learn about the Functonal state Corrector - a hi-tech offspring from the space shuttle "Buran" program. It will correct your organism not only on physical level, but the first sing one notice when start using the FSC - is a state of mind change. You need…
    Well, there you go. All your problems fixed in one hit - depression, cancer, bad breath, ingrown toenails… Where would the health system be without the advanced Russian technology? From the makers of the Moskvitch

maryygane is offline New Member

There are numerous natural options to despondency but first you MUST get off the medication. Otherwise, the options won't assist, and might really make things worse.

jbels is offline Member

Default 5-htp

Hello,
    I have mild anxiety and depression. I took prozac for about 6 months and did see a change in my anxiety. It seemed dulled. My mood itself didn't seem to improve that much, but it did take the edge off with over reacting to every little thing that was said and done. I decided to go off it though when I gained 25 pounds. I tried to lose it while on the meds, but it wouldn't budge. I decided to go off of the prozac and focused on exercise and eating better. I've been off of the prozac for a month and find that my PMS is worse, like it was prior to the meds and my mood and anxiety, although not what they had been, are in need of a change. I recently decided to try taking 5-htp to help with my mood. The capsules are 200mg. It says to take one..or two if needed. Has anyone taken them consistently over time to share their experience?

busymomto3 is offline New Member

Default What Worked for Me

I'm a 48 year old woman who has suffered from depression and anxiety for the majority of my life. Three years ago, I finally was prescribed Lexapro. It worked fine for about 6 months; then I felt blah. No sadness or anxiety, but no happiness either (I felt nothing.) The doctor wanted to put me on something else to combat the blahness. I said no. I would go cold turkey for awhile, then when the anxiety/depression was unbearable, I would start the medicine again. I finally stopped it over a year ago; I decided I would just live as I had the majority of my life. I also have an 11 year old son who was diagnosed with moderate depression in 2nd grade. During his fifth grade year, he was so irritable, depressed, and cried every night. I could see myself in him and I just didn't want him to suffer the years of sadness that I did.

He also recently started suffering from abdominal cramping/diarrhea (sorry for TMI). I had suffered for years, too (and thought it was all due to lactose intolerance.) It turns out that we suffer from a gluten intolerance (Celiac disease). Being gluten free (no wheat, barley, or rye) has made a huge difference in our lives. It is not an easy lifestyle change (it seems everything has wheat in it), but the mental changes (and physical) are truly amazing.

We do slip sometimes and consume wheat products. I can see the effects in my son very quickly and once again, I have the depression clouId just over me.

I just wanted to share what made a difference in my life. I've done quite a bit of research (80% of our serotonin is produced in our intestine--if it is damaged (as mine and my son's were), it affects the production.

Hope this helps someone.

Nancy4111 is offline New Member

I too have been on Omega 3 (Fish Oil) for over a year on the advice of my psychiatrist. I suffered from major depression, anxiety, panic attacks etc. For the first time in 20 years I feel normal. I would strongly suggest Omega 3 in conjunction with your other meds., or alone for mental health problems.

ncjoe is offline New Member

Default Anit Depressents

I have been on tramadol which is a pain killer at low doses and it works great as a anti depressent..it dosnet mix well with other meds like paxil so be careful...invega is the first major drug to work for me in a long time so I feel 1000s times better these days..if I keep getting better then thats good too

BaileyR is offline Banned

Try to use SAM-E because it have no side effects or any withdrawls.

questing is offline New Member

Default my therapist had some sugestions

SAM-E, is a natural product, for depression, But my family doctor proscribed wellbutrin300Mg.XL, saying the sam-e was not strong enough. ANd you should not take both. But I am thinking I may try it later on after a few more sesions with my threrapist. This has been most helpful. I believe alternative medicine , that is very old, must work, or it would not still be around. And all vitimines that you may be lacking, such as extra D's for a low count can cause , S.A.D. Major depression happened to me during the grey winter days. For more energy to exersize, ( which is nessary to help stop depression) I take all of the B's plus, antioxidents, calciun & fish oil. Sounds like you are on the right track. I beleive perscription drugs are for the short term only.

liza012 is offline New Member

any drug no matter how they claim to have no side effect will always have a certain amount of side effect that varies on different people. you can change your lifestyle, become involve in worthy causes that will motivate you as a person, eat a healthy diet and get enough exercise. Getting dependent on drugs without changing your environment and your perspective will not make things better. I am not arguing the benefits of these drugs, they do help but you'll never have a need for them anymore if you make a conscious decision to change your life.

Stephnart is offline New Member

Default Alternative to drugs

I just read that some of you were looking for a drug alternative. Like member "sabina 21" I too have had some success with rhodiola rosea even effective while teaching Art in an inner-city elementary school. But I don't always get the same "happy" effect as when I first started it . Also I was advised not to take it after dinner as it could cause insomnia, which I already have. To sleep I need to take lunesta followed by .5mg. klonopin. I sometimes need to cut little pieces of klonopin like 1/16 of a .5 during the day in order to calm down. I was diagnosed with OCD years ago and seem to have over- reactions to health issues for months at a time. Then suddenly have a kind of break- through and barely even recall what all the fuss was about. Not the greatest way to go through life.... I may try ashwandha which is supposed to help regulate sleep and anxiety. I am waiting for the weekend to try it as I am not sure how I will react to it while teaching. Anyone who has tried it and rhodiola please inform me of your experience. Some take both with success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast