Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cess06
Alternative Med. for ADHD???
    sadDAD is offline New Member

Default Alternative Med. for ADHD???

I have a 12yr. old son that was diagnosed with ADHD about 2yrs.ago.Since then we have been on Concerta,Adderall,one other that I can't recall right now,and now we're on Strettera.With all of these,my son has experienced stomach aches,loss of appetite(and he loves to eat),constipation,and many many sleepless nights.But through all of his suffering on the medications there hasn't been much improvement in his ability to stay focused and calm in a classroom setting.Other places too,that's just where it affects him the most.We have about one good day a week but by then the teachers are so outdone with him that they don't even notice.He is getting so frustrated because he's taking his meds.like he's supposed to,suffering through the side effects and not getting any better. I,as an adult,can somewhat understand the things that are happening with him but he is a child and it is so hard on him.It tears me up inside to see him go through all of this-at no fault of his own.He gets in trouble at school so much that he is getting where he doesn't want to be there.I've TALKED and TALKED and TALKED to the teachers but they act like..."well he's on his medicine so he should be better." Unfortunately,it doesn't work like that.My heart aches for him because I know how bad he just wants to be a regular kid.And I,as his father,his protector,feel so helpless.To know your child is hurting,phsically and emotionally,and you don't have a way to stop it or remove him from it,just tears your heart apart. Which is why I'm here.I've been reading some on alternative medicines and I was wondering if anyone has tried any?If so,WHAT? And what kind of results did you get?If anyone has any information on this,GOOD OR BAD,I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time to read this.Any direction you can point me in will be greatly appreciated.

~~JR~~

amiehope is offline New Member

I have a son 13 who has been on several different meds for ADHD and Moond Disorder. I also have taken different meds for ADD and Depression/Anxiety for the past 10 years. My son has had trouble with all the ADD/ADHD meds causing loss of appetite, stomache aches, head aches, sleeplessness. I would try to get him to eat a big breakfast before taking meds. He never ate lunch and he wasn't hungry until late in the evening after dinner was finished and just when its time for bed. I used to think he avoided bed time because he couldn't sleep. I would let him eat what ever he wanted when ever he wanted. Around the age of 12 he started eating like he couldn't get enough. I started giving him Benadryl to help him sleep. My personal experience was that Concerta worked well for Ryan until the age of 12 or 13, Stratera did nothing, but Adderall EX does the best. My stomache problems come and go. If I don't take the Adderall over the weekend I have stomache problems when I start up again for the first day or two. It seems to spasm my bowls and slow them down. You may want to ask the doctor if your son can take anything for the stomache pain when it gets bad. Trying many meds until you find the correct combination takes time and alot of work and just when you think you've found the answer, it can need to be adjusted again. A good doctor who supports you can help answer all the questions you are facing with the school. Talk to your school's representative in the disctrict office who helps with conflic. The Superintendents secratary was very helpful in directing me to the correct people to assist my sons needs. Good luck I hope I gave you some useful info.

amiehope is offline New Member

I have a son 13 who has been on several different meds for ADHD and Moond Disorder. I also have taken different meds for ADD and Depression/Anxiety for the past 10 years. My son has had trouble with all the ADD/ADHD meds causing loss of appetite, stomache aches, head aches, sleeplessness. I would try to get him to eat a big breakfast before taking meds. He never ate lunch and he wasn't hungry until late in the evening after dinner was finished and just when its time for bed. I used to think he avoided bed time because he couldn't sleep. I would let him eat what ever he wanted when ever he wanted. Around the age of 12 he started eating like he couldn't get enough. I started giving him Benadryl to help him sleep. My personal experience was that Concerta worked well for Ryan until the age of 12 or 13, Stratera did nothing, but Adderall EX does the best. My stomache problems come and go. If I don't take the Adderall over the weekend I have stomache problems when I start up again for the first day or two. It seems to spasm my bowls and slow them down. You may want to ask the doctor if your son can take anything for the stomache pain when it gets bad. Trying many meds until you find the correct combination takes time and alot of work and just when you think you've found the answer, it can need to be adjusted again. A good doctor who supports you can help answer all the questions you are facing with the school. Talk to your school's representative in the disctrict office who helps with conflic. The Superintendents secratary was very helpful in directing me to the correct people to assist my sons needs. Good luck I hope I gave you some useful info.

craz_chick is offline Member

I have adhd and was on ritilan for many years. I wouldn't eat though and was very skinny. My son now 12 also has it. I have started givin him and myself efalex which is for a fatty acid deficiency. They also told me omaga 3's and fish oils. I am not sure how well they work yet as we just started takeing them.
    I know when i take the ritilan i can consintrate better and so does he, but when i take it when not working or at school i feel all wiged out and spinny. I fell like i am on cocain or something which i dont' want to feel or have him feeling.

craz_chick is offline Member

wow that dose pretty much limit everything. I have heard of changing diets etc. But my son when on them eats nothing really at all i hav eto force him to eat, and when they wear off he eats everything but mostly >>>>. I guess this is a subject tthat will give ppl a ? in their brain for a long time.

I also had none of the sugested posible reasons for having a child with adhd except that i also have it.

just leavs me still wondering and looking for answeres i am sure one day we will all find something that works. good luck to everyone

DrgnzAngl is offline New Member

Something to try. may not work for everyone but it has for us. I am adhd. my other half is add. Try removing all the artifical coloring from your diet. week one is hell. week two not so bad. red dye especially. we did it as an experiment about 5 years ago. our moods are totally different. we have to shop more carefully mind you. but it works. i take herbs, believe in them fully over drugs. I have gotu kola added to anything I take. it helps with the restlessness your body feels. It does work for us. not saying it works for everyone but its worth a try to see if you feel different.

moonfire is offline New Member

My ADHD/Autistic spectrum 5 1/2 yr.old has been unsuccessful with Adderall, Adderall XR, and now Focalin treatments. They haven't helped the impulsivity or his "busy" behaviors. He still can't still still to work at school or eat a meal.
    But I do have advice still. First, check your child's toxin levels. A lot of children that have not responded to prescribed drugs may have toxic levels of metals in their systems. There are medications (prescribed as well as ones you can buy on the internet) that will clean the toxins out of their systems.

Also, many children, especially with bowel problems have an imbalance of candida in their system. You can ask your doctor to prescribe one for you, or you can buy acidophilis supplements at any grocery or herbal stores. If your child begins vomiting after treatment, it is because the candida is trying to fight off being killed, and tries to produce toxins into the body. KEEP TAKING!

Also, a change of diet should seriously be considered if your child has bowel problems or only eats carb-loaded foods (IE, pizza, spaghetti, mac and cheese, cereal, etc). Karyn Seroussi has written a phenomenal book ("Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder") about her discovery of helping her "autistic" son by discovering all these behaviors were controllable by putting him on a strict diet and eliminating ALL allergies. YES, it is a hard diet to start, but my son's behavior improved almost immediately, just by taking him off dairy products. He had been collicky and lactose-intolerant as a baby, but after he went off formula, I put him on whole milk, like the dr. said to. I haven't yet implimented the gluten/wheat-free diet. I'd like to check out my local health and natural food stores as well as getting the book: Special Diets For Special Kids, which has hundreds of casien/gluten free recipes, first. I also saw a cookbook recently for helping of ALL health problems. I don't remember the name offhand, but I saw it at our Publix grocery store. For example, if you have IBS or sinus problems, eliminate the dairy from your diet. Also tomatoes, eggplant, and some other "nightshade" family veggies also can cause stomach problems.

Also, there may be another problem under all the ADD/ADHD. Like Bi-polar, depression, a learning disorder, etc. I know my son's other un-diagnosed problem is anxiety.

Last, I have also read that children with these problems tend to need higher amounts of certain vitamins than most children. They need at least 200 mg of all B vitamins, over 500mgs of Vitamin C, at least 250 mg. of Magenesium. And also DHEA and omega oils support brain function. Check your child's vitamins. I bet they aren't nearly getting enough. I recently found Liquid Health Children's Multiple, as well as they make a liquid supplement called "Attention". All the right vitamins in all the recommended amounts are already mixed in a liquid and all your child has to do is drink it by itself or in juice. It is gluten and casien-free as well, and made with aloe juice as the base. SO much easier than pounding up pills and talking my son into eating spoonfuls of peanut butter three times a day!! I break up his dose 3 times a day, so I know he's absorbing as much as possible.

I hope this will help someone in the future. I've been doing so much research on all my son's problems since they started at 13 mos. It's been a long ride and it's far from over. Take care and blessings to all of you in your searches to helping your child overcome their add, adhd, odd, ocd, etc.

charles7514 is offline New Member

I found out that ADHD is a learning disability, that is covered by the department of ed. Ask your doctor for info on that line. My son been fighting adhd for years, and we just found out about this a few months ago. The school attitude toward him changed a great bit when I presented them with all the paperwork his doctor filled out. As for other meds, he is on adderall.

Gesa is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by sadDAD

I have a 12yr. old son that was diagnosed with ADHD about 2yrs.ago.Since then we have been on Concerta,Adderall,one other that I can't recall right now,and now we're on Strettera.With all of these,my son has experienced stomach aches,loss of appetite(and he loves to eat),constipation,and many many sleepless nights.But through all of his suffering on the medications there hasn't been much improvement in his ability to stay focused and calm in a classroom setting.Other places too,that's just where it affects him the most.We have about one good day a week but by then the teachers are so outdone with him that they don't even notice.He is getting so frustrated because he's taking his meds.like he's supposed to,suffering through the side effects and not getting any better. I,as an adult,can somewhat understand the things that are happening with him but he is a child and it is so hard on him.It tears me up inside to see him go through all of this-at no fault of his own.He gets in trouble at school so much that he is getting where he doesn't want to be there.I've TALKED and TALKED and TALKED to the teachers but they act like..."well he's on his medicine so he should be better." Unfortunately,it doesn't work like that.My heart aches for him because I know how bad he just wants to be a regular kid.And I,as his father,his protector,feel so helpless.To know your child is hurting,phsically and emotionally,and you don't have a way to stop it or remove him from it,just tears your heart apart. Which is why I'm here.I've been reading some on alternative medicines and I was wondering if anyone has tried any?If so,WHAT? And what kind of results did you get?If anyone has any information on this,GOOD OR BAD,I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time to read this.Any direction you can point me in will be greatly appreciated.

~~JR~~

Gesa is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by sadDAD

~~JR~~

Bettyboop72 is offline New Member

I have two sons who are adhd a 14 yr old and a 16 yr old. They have been diagnosed with this disorder from the time they were 4 and 5. They have been seeing a pshych ever since and have been on meds ever since too. My youngest has had many problems in school, with outburst, cursing and very violent to his teachers and peers. He has been suspended numerous timesand is forever in detention. The school has finally put him into a program for kids with behavioral problems, it seems to be working. But from what I noticed with him and from what his physch. has told us, He is capable of controlling himself. It is his choice for his behavoir. I don't know if there are other parents out there with the same problem I am having. Apparently it isn't the meds that are keeping this child in line. He acts the way he acts because he wants to. However it is the meds that do help him stay focused. The outbursts and attitude is that of his own makings. Now my 16 yr old has a serious mood disorder. I love him dearly and the doctor has had him tested also for retardation. But have found nothing. So I am curious to know, does having adhd with a mood disorder make the child slow? He can't keep up with any of his friends, he has no friends, his hygeine is horrible, I have to fight with him to shower, brush his teeth and change his clothing. He is in all resource classes at school, and his speech is always slurred. Is the doctor missing something, or is this normal behavior for a 16 yr old with adhd and a mood disorder?

Betty

debbiegrace is offline New Member

Essential fatty acids may begin to help him fairly quickly. Also get him off fizzy drinks, white flour, chocolate and oranges. They all add to a hyperactive state.
    Try massage if you can keep him still long enough, make sure his home environment is restful and keep exciting games etc to a minimum. A full consultation is impossible unless a therapist can see you but I would give homeopathy(practical), herbalism and flower remedies a go along with meditation etc once he's a little calmer.
    How lucky is your boy to have you on his side, you should be proud of yourself and I'm sure you will find what you need, love always finds a way.

You may want to make sure you're really dealing with ADHD. I've seen depression look a lot like it in some cases, and it was only because I knew the kids very well that I could catch it before the misdiagnosis became official. Depression causes poor concentration, and, particularly in teenage boys, it often manifests as irritability, aggression, hyperactivity, and behavioral self-medication (using sex, TV, sports, or video games to distract himself). So if this sounds like your kid I'd look into it.

nowuccas is offline New Member

Default ADHD weight gain methods & alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by sadDAD View Post

~~JR~~
    I address the problem of slow weight gain in sections 22 - 25, on AD(H)D, of my website, at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris High nutrient density, high fat, small sized meals, more often. Fat has 9 times the energy of carbohydrate, or protein. Polar explorers drink cold pressed virgin olive oil, so if he can tolerate half a cup, regularly, it will help a lot. Discontinue medication except when attending school, and encourage eating more at such times, when the appetite is greater.

Give 4 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, daily: (certified free of mercury) it is best if consumed with an antioxidant, such as an orange, or grapefruit, or their FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice. If vitamin E is added, it should be certified as being 100% from natural sources, or it may be synthetic: avoid it.

"Krill oil" (use the searchbar at mercola.com & also "ADHD") is highly recommended.

jadehsu7 is offline New Member

Hi, thanks for posting this. I've heard things about omega 3 fish oil supplements, but i think it's mainly about changing lifestyle that will help.

My friend told me about a new site where you can ask any questions you have about adhd and alternative medicine and it will be answered by a practitioner or medical doctor for free.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.

laustin4 is offline New Member

While looking for natural alternatives myself, I came across L-Theanine (Suntheanine). My friend (a Psychologist) takes it as well. I found a study online showing that it works for some with ADD or ADHD ...which I am ADD!! Do some research. I sometimes give my kids 9 and 12 a chewable 100mg if they are restless at night. It has calming effects in higher dosages for me. I like the Natural Factor 60 chewable tablet formula....tastes great! We have had no side effects and appears to be very safe from all I have read!! Good luck!

cess06 is offline New Member

You have asked the question of the century. There are lots of nutraceutical companies that "claim" they can effectively treat ADD/ADHD with THEIR products, but so far there have been no studies done to prove any of this, so this leaves us parents with the option of using medications or trying natural alternatives on our own through trial and error.

Below are some herbs/supplements that have claimed success in treating ADHD: DISCLAIMER: Please don't give your child any supplements before checking with your child's doctor, especially if your child is already on medications for ADHD. Don't take your child off prescribed stimulants or anti-depressants without checking with your dr. on how to wean them.

* pycnogenol - there are two kinds: grape seed extract and pine bark extract. The pine bark extract is the one sold most for ADD, but I had some results with the grape seed extract.

* gingko biloba - increases blood circulation to the brain, hence the claim that it can help decrease distractibility. I have personally used this, and it does help lift the ADD fog.

* evening primrose oil - not sure exactly what this does, but it is recommended.

* essential fatty acids - there is a theory among us parents that these may be lacking in our children. Ever heard of the ketonic diet used to treat epilepsy? It is high in fats and has been successful in reducing and even curing severe, life-threatening epilepsy. We need to be careful that we do not limit our children to low-fat foods.

* DHA is often used to treat ADHD.

* St. John's Wort: good for depression; many anti-depressants have worked with ADHD children, reducing hyperactivity and smoothing out the mood swings.

* Kava-Kava: supposed to help with anxiety. Can cause drowsiness.

* B-complex (either 50 or 100). I have personal knowledge of good results with large doses of B-vitamins. You need to give all the B-vitamins, not just B-6 or B-12.

* Trace minerals: these come in tablet, powder or liquid form and are often deficient in ADHD children. This one can't hurt to try.

* Multi-vitamin: this covers all your bases in the vitamin area so you know your children is getting all the basics. If your child is deficient in one particular area, though, higher doses might be needed (see your dr. before giving any vitamin in higher than recommended doses--some vitamins can kill, like iron and A).

* Mannatech makes some supplements that are touted as perfect for ADHD children. Phyto-Bears and some other products.
    sdively likes this.

lissa12345 is offline New Member

Default meds

~~JR~~
    My son is 14 he has been taking meds since he is 8 he took all them and concerta was the best for him the adderal made him worst so we took him off that right away . He is taking other meds now but none of them seem to work I go on nami.org web site alot that is a good site for advice someone has tried homopathic meds and im thinking of tring that soon i already order waiting for it to come i will let you know read about it the web site is [B][B]nativeremedies.com let me know what you think

kvafra is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lissa12345 View Post
    My son is 14 he has been taking meds since he is 8 he took all them and concerta was the best for him the adderal made him worst so we took him off that right away . He is taking other meds now but none of them seem to work I go on nami.org web site alot that is a good site for advice someone has tried homopathic meds and im thinking of tring that soon i already order waiting for it to come i will let you know read about it the web site is [B][B]nativeremedies.com let me know what you think
    You might want to explore The Road Back program at www.theroadback.org. I am sorry for you anguish.

kvafra is offline New Member

Unhappy www.theroadback.org

Quote Originally Posted by lissa12345 View Post
    You might want to visit the website for The Road Back Program at www.theroadback.org. I feel for you.

pam112251 is offline New Member

Default Interactive Metronome Therapy

My sister has been sending her son to Interactive Metronome Therapy with considerable success for treating his ADHD - you can google it for more info. Good alternative to taking madication.

seppie is offline New Member

Hi, I am very new to the forum but wanted to make this my first post. My son was also on Adderall and it did help him allot, but the down side are all the side effects, just as you mention and the most common ones were stomach aches and constipation I do not have the answer for the best alternative but once my doctor stopped prescribing adderall we put him on melatonin and ever since he has been doing better. Good luck.

Sherriff is offline New Member

Hi JR,

A number of parents have tried natural remedies as an alternative to psycho-stimulants and other drugs due to various short & long term side effects they are attributed to. Small trials have found some agents, such as oral flower essence, Ginkgo biloba, Panax ginseng, and melatonin may possibly have benefits for ADHD.

Additionally, In 1982, the NIH had determined, based on research available at that time, that roughly 5% of children with ADHD could be helped significantly by removing additives from their diet. The vast majority of these children were believed to have food allergies. More recent studies have shown that approximately 60-70% of children with and without allergies improve when additives are removed from their diet, that up to almost 90% of them react when an appropriate amount of additive is used as a challenge in double blind tests, and that food additives may elicit hyperactive behavior and/or irritability in normal children as well. These allergens include synthetic additives, dyes, and chemicals, which are commonly added to processed foods. The yellow dye tartrazine has been specifically shown to provoke symptoms in controlled studies of ADHD-affected children.

Talking about individual minerals and vitamins that are useful; Zinc regulates the activity of neurotransmitters, fatty acids, and melatonin, all of which are related behavior, Adequate levels of vitamin B6 are essential for the synthesis of essential brain chemicals including serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, the chemicals affected in children with ADHD, and Fatty acids, such as those found in fish and fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids) and evening primrose oil (omega-6 fatty acids), are "good fats" that play a key role in normal brain function.

Simple changes in diet, sleep, exercise and routine along with incorporating relaxation techniques such as guided imagery, and especially Yoga can do wonders for your child.

A few more details that I found interesting as well as intriguing can be had here.

Hope all this provides you with atleast some info you can work upon and improve not only your child's condition, but yours too.

AsmaaIbrahim is offline New Member

When it comes to conventional medications, it’s important to understand the risks before taking them and how they might negatively affect your body. Have you ever worried about stomach bleeding when taking Ibuprofen or liver damage with Tylenol? Do you wish there was a gentler way?
    With natural remedies you are using what nature has provided to correct problems
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-20-2011 at 06:05 PM.

BruceMtl is offline New Member

[ deleted - soliciting ]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-21-2011 at 02:31 PM.

faithNme is offline New Member

Default Been there sister...

I, too, have questioned the idea that maybe something else could help my ADHD child. There are some things you could consider before committing forever to stimulant DRUGS. The very first suggestion I have is to find a homeopathic/naturopathic doctor who has gone to med school and has his MD - and who also pursued the alternatives to treat the "whole person" and not just the symptom(s). My insurance covered my son's homeopathic doctor because he is a "real doctor" first.

Get son tested for the following: Allergies, heavy metal toxicity, systemic yeast (Candida Albicans), elevated or decreased levels of neurotransmitters (epinephrine, norepinephrine, seratonin, histamine, dopamine), mineral deficiencies.

A "real doctor" won't tell you that stuff. Good luck.

lola1022 is offline Junior Member

Cool Sad Dad

So sorry you're having to go through all this with your son. One of the newer drugs is Vyvanse - it's not as much as a stimulant, and it's very even & steady. I tried it myself. It wasn't for me, because I have chronic pain and the AD/HD is used also as a narcolepsy type drug, to keep me awake throughout the day. Plus, I've heard of something new advertised on tv that is for ADD/HD and has no stimulant at all! Good luck to you and your son!

sdively is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cess06 View Post
    You have asked the question of the century. There are lots of nutraceutical companies that "claim" they can effectively treat ADD/ADHD with THEIR products, but so far there have been no studies done to prove any of this, so this leaves us parents with the option of using medications or trying natural alternatives on our own through trial and error.

Below are some herbs/supplements that have claimed success in treating ADHD: DISCLAIMER: Please don't give your child any supplements before checking with your child's doctor, especially if your child is already on medications for ADHD. Don't take your child off prescribed stimulants or anti-depressants without checking with your dr. on how to wean them.

* pycnogenol - there are two kinds: grape seed extract and pine bark extract. The pine bark extract is the one sold most for ADD, but I had some results with the grape seed extract.

* gingko biloba - increases blood circulation to the brain, hence the claim that it can help decrease distractibility. I have personally used this, and it does help lift the ADD fog.

* evening primrose oil - not sure exactly what this does, but it is recommended.

* essential fatty acids - there is a theory among us parents that these may be lacking in our children. Ever heard of the ketonic diet used to treat epilepsy? It is high in fats and has been successful in reducing and even curing severe, life-threatening epilepsy. We need to be careful that we do not limit our children to low-fat foods.

* DHA is often used to treat ADHD.

* St. John's Wort: good for depression; many anti-depressants have worked with ADHD children, reducing hyperactivity and smoothing out the mood swings.

* Kava-Kava: supposed to help with anxiety. Can cause drowsiness.

* B-complex (either 50 or 100). I have personal knowledge of good results with large doses of B-vitamins. You need to give all the B-vitamins, not just B-6 or B-12.

* Trace minerals: these come in tablet, powder or liquid form and are often deficient in ADHD children. This one can't hurt to try.

* Multi-vitamin: this covers all your bases in the vitamin area so you know your children is getting all the basics. If your child is deficient in one particular area, though, higher doses might be needed (see your dr. before giving any vitamin in higher than recommended doses--some vitamins can kill, like iron and A).

* Mannatech makes some supplements that are touted as perfect for ADHD children. Phyto-Bears and some other products.
    Can you post their website for me?

Robin511 is offline New Member

~~JR~~
    Hello,
    It is really sad to hear about your son going through so at a tender age.Have you tried options such cognitive behaviorial therapy(CBT) It is said that this CBT is as effective as antidepressants..Also it is seen that regular physical exercise alters the chemicals in the brain and improves the mood of depressed patients