10mg methadone = 10-20mg of hydrocodone??
    1southernbelle is offline New Member

Exclamation 10mg methadone = 10-20mg of hydrocodone??

Hi everyone. I have been taking 6 or more of the 10mg hydrocodones a day (or sometimes 60mg oxycodone) for awhile. I am switching to methadone due to the cost and was wondering how many mg of methadone I should take. I took methadone once about a year ago, and if I remember correctly I took a 40 mg wafer and felt extremely great for two whole days. Does anyone know how many mg of methadone is equal to 6 hydrocodone(10's)? Any of your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. : ) thanks

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Switching to methadone from a few hydros is such a total overkill. That's like shooting a fly with a shotgun. DON'T DO IT!!! You'll regret it I promise you. You're making the mistake of your life if you do that. Stop using the hydros and use the Thomas Recipe to help with the w/d. Here is a link. It's worked for lots of people here. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

babidolli22 is offline Junior Member

Don't do it. I am on methadone 120mgs daily due to addiction and I was taking way more oxy then you and let me tell you, methadone is so strong that the clinics are only allowed by law to start everyone out w/30mgs,just 30 no matter what they were addicted to. You increase over time due to the way your body responds over an entire 24 hr period but thats another story. All i'm saying is now that i'm here on 120mgs daily, I wish to god I wasn't and stayed as low as I could stand because now I have to face the detox if I want to get off this ********, which I had a taste of last year being in the ER and it was the worst experiience I have ever went through, I even asked the nurse to let me die it was that bad.
    If you don't want to end up facing this issue one day don't start methadone.
    God bless

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Default 1Southernbelle

Southernbelle, I could answer your question, but I won't, it's not in your best interest. Switching to methadone just for the cost is the worst reason that there is, this is THE most addictive, hardest drug in the world to kick, most cannot and become married to it for life, don't go there, you'll regret it, you are opening a door that leads into HELL, you do not want to go there, I promise you this. If you want to save money I suggest you quit cold turkey, it's free, don't go screwing up the rest of your life by taking methadone, here's your chance to change for the better, take it and don't look back. Don't think for a second that it won't happen, or you're smart, or strong, or nice enough that it can't happen to you. It will, it always does.

Anonymous Guest

i couldn't agree more with all of the responses so far, southernbelle, you say you took it once and felt good for about 2 days,
    that is the sneaky part of methadone,
    soon you will only feel good with a wee bit more,
    and if you have a day off, omg, 2 days off, terrible,
    i have been married to methadone, for over 10 years, on and off.
    thank god i found subs, and i am tapering down now, i thought there was no way off the methadone.
    thats exactly what happens, you end up with such a huge habit, and you can't get off.
    im one of the lucky ones, im now on `1.25mg of sub and counting down,
    not too far to go.
    please dont do it.
    If i had known how hard methadone was to get off, i may have considered going cold turkey after all off my measly morphine and opium habit.
    because compared to short acting pain meds, methadone seems to get right into your bones, and takes a few months to get out. trust me i have suffered from it.
    DONT DO IT.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

My younger brother is addicted to methadone and his life is upside down right now!! Methadone has ruined his life!! Please reconsider! When I was calling around to detox facilities to try and get him help, I told the counselor on the phone the cocktail of drugs he was on, and every counselor I spoke to all said that methadone is the hardest drug to kick!!

IfItDoesTheTrick is offline Junior Member

Default They speak the truth

belle,

I would listen to the wise words you were given. I wasn't able to tell by your original post if you are prescribed to meds by a doctor or getting them elsewhere. I know you pointed out the cost of other meds, but either way pain meds are expensive.

I myself was put on methadone when I wasn't getting a proper response to other therapy for pain relief. I went from taking large amount of oxycontin (at the time I believe it was 480 mg daily) For me it didn't work so well, but my doctor wanted me to give it a fair shot. I was on it for three months or so. When I switched back, even though I had plenty of meds in my system I had severe symptoms of withdrawal. Normally I suffer from back pain, when I came off this my whole body hurt. It really does get into your bone marrow and can stay there for a long time. This is why the withdrawal lasts forever and coming off methadone can be impossible for many people.

With the amount of medication you are currently on there would be no reason to go to methadone. There are plenty of other options that I would recommend trying first. This is what brought up the question of whether you have a doctor or not. Discuss with them the other possibilities for pain control, or addiction treatments, whatever your case may be.

Wouldn't you rather be broke and happy, then have a few extra bucks in your wallet but miserable because now you're on a drug for life, that after a month wont give you that same relief and you just have to take it so you dont get sick everyday. It will own you, control you and you will lose your say... I wouldn't wish the feeling of getting methadone out of your system to anyone, even my worst enemy..

GOOD LUCK!

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default Methadone

This is very serious ! Do not make the mistake of a lifetime by going on methadone. It took me 5 years of agony to taper my methadone use down far enough to switch to suboxone, and guess what, I had to taper off of the subs also. In total it took about 5 years and 3 months of tapering, NO FUN ! I felt less than normal ( BAD ) the whole time !!! Please do whatever you have to do to stay away from the methadone, it's that important.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you do the right thing.
    Knowledge is powerful. Do the research.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1southernbelle View Post
    Hi everyone. I have been taking 6 or more of the 10mg hydrocodones a day (or sometimes 60mg oxycodone) for awhile. I am switching to methadone due to the cost and was wondering how many mg of methadone I should take. I took methadone once about a year ago, and if I remember correctly I took a 40 mg wafer and felt extremely great for two whole days. Does anyone know how many mg of methadone is equal to 6 hydrocodone(10's)? Any of your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. : ) thanks

The replies above tell the story. Every single person agrees that you are making a mistake of a lifetime if you do this. Seldom does every person that posts give the exact same answer. Take that for what it's worth and DON'T DO IT!!! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

D4Ta is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The replies above tell the story. Every single person agrees that you are making a mistake of a lifetime if you do this. Seldom does every person that posts give the exact same answer. Take that for what it's worth and DON'T DO IT!!! God bless.
    I went from taking 200mgs of oxycontin to 160mls of Methadone for the past year, yes Robert, I went back TO THE DOC, GOT BACK ON METH. AND YES, HE CUT ME OFF AGAIN! CUZ i MISSED an appt. due to work out of town.
    and now im screwed, he cut me off cold nuts on friday past. its sunday, thomas ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by D4Ta View Post
    I went from taking 200mgs of oxycontin to 160mls of Methadone for the past year, yes Robert, I went back TO THE DOC, GOT BACK ON METH. AND YES, HE CUT ME OFF AGAIN! CUZ i MISSED an appt. due to work out of town.
    and now im screwed, he cut me off cold nuts on friday past. its sunday, thomas ya think?

I'm disappointed that you relapsed but they cut you off due ro work requiremens? That doesn't make sense if it's documented that it was legitimate.. Have you told them the whole story?

If you have no choice then the Thomas Recipe is your best bet. Keeo me posted. What caused you to relapse? You were doing so well. Let's get you cleaned up again for good!

D4Ta is offline Member

I'm disappointed that you relapsed but they cut you off due ro work requiremens? That doesn't make sense if it's documented that it was legitimate.. Have you told them the whole story?

If you have no choice then the Thomas Recipe is your best bet. Keeo me posted. What caused you to relapse? You were doing so well. Let's get you cleaned up again for good!
    Robert. yes. due to the huge waiting list if you fail to make appts. you are taken off the program, until such time you pay a "reinstatement fee"
    Ive done that. twice. read post plse. and how are you feeling??
    hope you get better soon

D4Ta ........ I don't see anything about what happened other than you missed an appointment due to your work schedule. Fill me in dude, how did you end up back on that kind of oxy dose and then methadone?

Why didn't you say something to me so I could have helped you. You know that we did it before and I would have helped you get clean again. I need some info though if you want me to help you get this straightened outl

D4Ta is offline Member

D4Ta ........ I don't see anything about what happened other than you missed an appointment due to your work schedule. Fill me in dude, how did you end up back on that kind of oxy dose and then methadone?

Why didn't you say something to me so I could have helped you. You know that we did it before and I would have helped you get clean again. I need some info though if you want me to help you get this straightened outl
    hi robert. the oxy dose was when we first talked. then I went on METH for a yr and a half. then I came back to you a few months back saying I got cut off for the same reason as now. then I went back, paid my fees, and got back on.
    im not doing tha this time. I cant. Im done.
    kinna spooked on this half life thing. as I said.
    I did my last bottle of Meth of 50mls friday morning.
    thanks Robert.
    plse, take care.

JSolesky is offline New Member

Unhappy I can't find anything nice about Methadone......has ANYONE had a good outcome from it

Ok here is my story:

I had an allergic reaction to a medicine that I was prescribed for migraines and on Easter of 2009 I literally died. I flat-lined 3 times and was in a coma for 18 days. Then out of the grace of god a doctor came into my room in the middle of the night and decided to try to Eckmo (sp machine on me. IT WORKED! Thank goodness I did wake up and although I had to learn to eat, walk, speak, etc. all over again. You are welcome to see the video my husband took: https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1061979914709
    All of my organs are 100%. But I ended up with horrible drop foot on both feet and we don't know why, but also horrible bilateral neuropathy. I have been through so many surgeries just so that my feet would actually work so that I could walk again, however we can't seem to control the pain of the neuropathy, because we don't know how I got it. Anyway, I was on 50 mg of the Fentanyl Patch and taking 40 mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours since 2009. 2 weeks ago I was sent to a pain management doc and he switched me to subutex. I worked great for my dependency - I don't want a Oxycodone, however the pain is still HORRIBLE...... I am taking 40mg a day of subutex and ZERO pain relief. My doctor wants me to come in tomorrow to switch me to Methadone. He says that will help with the pain. But I have heard soooo many bad things about Methadone and I am super scared. Isn't there anything that he can give me WITH the subutex for the pain? Please help!

Sorry for the long story, but it will help you understand: Well I did go to the doctor today and he prescribed me 50mg of Methadone once a day. I ONLY started the Methadone after 4 of my doctors told me that it was the best route and only option that I had, I will have pain for the rest of my life and taking the Methadone gives me a chance to take one dose a day and not have to ruin my life with the short term opiods. However, I can’t find ONE good post about Methadone, I was not an addicat, I did become VERY dependent. If they docs say this is the best thing, why do some many people say it is the devil?