Skip to Content

Sodium hypochlorite poisoning

Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical commonly found in bleach, water purifiers, and cleaning products.

Swallowing sodium hypochlorite can lead to poisoning. Breathing sodium hypochlorite fumes may also cause poisoning, especially if the product is mixed with ammonia.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or a local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

Poisonous Ingredient

Sodium hypochlorite

Where Found

Sodium hypochlorite is found in:

  • Chemical used to add chlorine to swimming pools
  • Disinfectants
  • Some bleaching solutions
  • Water purifiers

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.


Watered-down (diluted) sodium hypochlorite generally causes only mild stomach irritation. Swallowing larger amounts can cause more serious symptoms. Industrial-strength bleach contains much higher concentrations of sodium hypochlorite, which may cause severe injury.

NEVER mix ammonia with sodium hypochlorite (bleach or bleach-containing products). This common household error produces a toxic gas that can cause choking and serious breathing problems.

Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning may include:

  • Burning, red eyes
  • Chest pain
  • Coma
  • Coughing (from the fumes)
  • Delirium
  • Gagging sensation
  • Low blood pressure
  • Pain in the mouth or throat
  • Possible burns on the esophagus
  • Skin irritation of the exposed area, burns, or blistering
  • Shock
  • Slow heartbeat
  • Stomach or abdominal pain
  • Vomiting

Home Care

Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.

If the chemical is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.

If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. DO NOT give water or milk if the person is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.

If the person breathed in the poison, immediately move him or her to fresh air.

Before Calling Emergency

Determine the following information:

  • The person's age, weight, and condition
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
  • The time it was swallowed
  • The amount swallowed

However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.

Poison Control What to Expect at the Emergency Room

In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local poison control center. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The person will be admitted to a hospital. The health care provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.

The person may receive:

  • Airway support, including oxygen, breathing tube through the mouth (intubation), and breathing machine (ventilator)
  • Blood and urine tests
  • Camera down the throat (endoscopy) to see burns in the esophagus and stomach
  • Chest x-ray
  • EKG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
  • Fluids through a vein (IV)
  • Medicines to treat symptoms

Note: Activated charcoal does not effectively treat (adsorb) sodium hypochlorite.

For skin exposure, treatment may include:

  • Irrigation (washing of the skin), possibly every few hours for several days
  • Surgical removal of burned skin (skin debridement)
  • Transfer to a hospital that specializes in burn care

The person may need to be admitted to a hospital to continue treatment. Surgery may be needed if the esophagus, stomach, or intestine have holes (perforations) from the acid.

Prognosis (Outlook)

Swallowing, smelling, or touching household bleach will likely not cause any significant problems. However, more severe problems can occur with industrial-strength bleach, or from mixing bleach with ammonia.

How well a person does depends on how rapidly the sodium hypochlorite was diluted and neutralized. There is a good chance of recovery if proper treatment is given soon after the poison was swallowed. Without prompt treatment, extensive damage to the mouth, throat, eyes, lungs, esophagus, nose, and stomach are possible, depending on how exposure occurred.


Agabiti N, Ancona C, Forastiere F, et al. Short term respiratory effects of acute exposure to chlorine due to a swimming pool accident. Occup Environ Med. 2001 Jun;58(6):399-404.

Lambert H, Manel J, Gabrion I. Poisoning by household products. Rev Prat. 2000 Feb 15;50(4):365-71.

Wax PM, Young A. Caustics. In: Marx JA, Hockberger RS, Walls RM, et al, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2014:chap 153.

Review Date: 1/14/2015
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2015 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.