Muscle strain treatment
How do you treat a muscle strain?
Rest the strained muscle and apply ice for the first few days after the injury. Anti-inflammatory medicines or acetaminophen (Tylenol) also help reduce pain and swelling. As the pain decreases, you can use heat on the muscle. Stretching and light exercises to bring blood to the injured area can also be useful.
Get medical help right away if:
- You have a lot of swelling with the muscle strain.
- You can't move your arms, legs, or joints.
Brinker MR, O'Connor DP, Almekinders LC, et al. Physiology of Injury to Musculoskeletal Structures: 1. Muscle and Tendon Injury. In: DeLee JC, Drez D Jr, Miller MD, eds. DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2009:chap 1, section A.
Biundo JJ. Bursitis, tendinitis, and other periarticular disorders and sports medicine. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 271.
|Review Date: 4/13/2013
Reviewed By: Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, Bethanne Black, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.
Learn more about Muscle strain treatment
Micromedex® Care Notes:
- Acetaminophen And Ibuprofen Dosing In Children
- Ankle Sprain
- Ankle Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Cervical Strain
- Cervical Strain, Ambulatory Care
- Coccyx Injury
- Costochondritis, Ambulatory Care
- Elbow Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Finger Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Foot Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Groin Strain, Ambulatory Care
- Hand Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Hip Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Knee Sprain
- Knee Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Leg Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Ligament Sprain
- Ligament Sprain, Ambulatory Care
- Low Back Strain
- Low Back Strain, Ambulatory Care
- Muscle Strain
- Muscle Strain, Ambulatory Care
- Pelvic Avulsion Fractures In Adults
- Pelvic Avulsion Fractures In Children
- Tendon Rupture
- Tendon Rupture, Ambulatory Care
- Wrist Injury
- Wrist Sprain
- Wrist Sprain, Ambulatory Care