Foods - fresh vs. frozen or canned
Vegetables are an important part of a well-balanced diet. Many people wonder if frozen and canned vegetables are as healthy for you as fresh vegetables.
Overall, vegetables fresh from the farm or just picked are healthier than frozen or canned ones. But frozen and canned vegetables can still be a good choice. They need to be canned or frozen right after being harvested, when they still have all of their healthy nutrients.
Also, keep in mind how much salt is added to canned vegetables. Try to buy those without added salt. And, don't overcook any vegetable, whether fresh, frozen, or canned. Instead of boiling them in water for longer periods of time, they should be lightly steamed.
Noel MB, Thompson M, Wadland WC, Holtrop JS. Nutrition and Family Medicine. In: Rakel RE, ed. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 37.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, December 2010.
|Review Date: 8/29/2013
Reviewed By: Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Bethanne Black, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
Learn more about Foods - fresh vs. frozen or canned
Micromedex® Care Notes:
- Diet For Diverticular Conditions
- Eating During Cancer Treatment
- Eating During Cancer Treatment, Ambulatory Care
- Full Liquid Diet
- Gastric Bypass Diet
- Gastric Bypass Diet, Ambulatory Care
- Heart Healthy Diet, Ambulatory Care
- Level 1 National Dysphagia Diet
- Level 2 National Dysphagia Diet
- Level 3 National Dysphagia Diet
- Low Sodium Diet
- Low Tyramine Diet
- Type 1 Diabetes Management For Adolescents
- Type 1 Diabetes Management For Adolescents, Ambulatory Care
- Type 2 Diabetes Management For Adolescents
- Type 2 Diabetes Management For Adolescents, Ambulatory Care
- Vegetarian Diet
- Vitamin K In Foods