Generic name: golimumab 50mg in 0.5mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Dosage in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis
The SIMPONI dose regimen is 50 mg administered by subcutaneous injection once a month.
For patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), SIMPONI should be given in combination with methotrexate and for patients with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) or ankylosing spondylitis (AS), SIMPONI may be given with or without methotrexate or other nonbiologic Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs). For patients with RA, PsA, or AS, corticosteroids, non-biologic DMARDs, and/or NSAIDs may be continued during treatment with SIMPONI.
Dosage in Moderately to Severely Active Ulcerative Colitis
The recommended SIMPONI induction dosage regimen is a 200-mg subcutaneous injection at Week 0, followed by 100 mg at Week 2, and then maintenance therapy with 100 mg every 4 weeks.
Monitoring to Assess Safety
Prior to initiating SIMPONI and periodically during therapy, evaluate patients for active tuberculosis and tested for latent infection [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. Prior to initiating SIMPONI, patients should be tested for hepatitis B viral infection [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Important Administration Instructions
SIMPONI is intended for use under the guidance and supervision of a healthcare provider. After proper training in subcutaneous injection technique, a patient may self-inject with SIMPONI if a physician determines that it is appropriate. Instruct patients to follow the directions provided below [see Instructions for Use]:
- To ensure proper use, allow the prefilled syringe or autoinjector to sit at room temperature outside the carton for 30 minutes prior to subcutaneous injection. Do not warm SIMPONI in any other way.
- Prior to administration, visually inspect the solution for particles and discoloration through the viewing window. SIMPONI is clear to slightly opalescent and colorless to light yellow. Do not use SIMPONI, if the solution is discolored, or cloudy, or if foreign particles are present.
- Do not use any leftover product remaining in the prefilled syringe or prefilled autoinjector.
- Instruct patients sensitive to latex not to handle the needle cover on the prefilled syringe or the needle cover of the prefilled syringe within the autoinjector cap because it contains dry natural rubber (a derivative of latex).
- At the time of dosing, if multiple injections are required, administer the injections at different sites on the body.
- Rotate injection sites and never give injections into areas where the skin is tender, bruised, red, or hard.
More about Simponi (golimumab)
- Other brands: Simponi Aria