Penicillin VK Dosage
Generic name: penicillin v potassium
Dosage form: tablet
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Penicillin VK safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Penicillin VK.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The dosage of penicillin V should be determined according to the sensitivity of the causative microorganisms and the severity of infection, and adjusted to the clinical response of the patient.
The usual dosage recommendations for adults and children 12 years and over are as follows:
Streptococcal infections - mild to moderately severe - of the upper respiratory tract and including scarlet fever and erysipelas: 125 to 250 mg (200,000 to 400,000 units) every 6 to 8 hours for 10 days.
Pneumococcal infections - mild to moderately severe - of the respiratory tract, including otitis media: 250 to 500 mg (400,000 to 800,000 units) every 6 hours until the patient has been afebrile for at least 2 days.
Staphylococcal infections - mild infections of skin and soft tissue (culture and sensitive tests should be performed): 250 to 500 mg (400,000 to 800,000 units) every 6 to 8 hours.
Fusospirochetosis (Vincents infection) of the oropharynx. Mild to moderately severe infections: 250 to 500 mg (400,000 to 800,000 units) every 6 to 8 hours.
For the prevention of recurrence following rheumatic fever and/or chorea: 125 to 250 mg (200,000 to 400,000 units) twice daily on a continuing basis.
For prophylaxis against bacterial endocarditis1 in patients with congenital heart disease or rheumatic or other acquired valvular heart disease when undergoing dental procedures or surgical procedures of the upper respiratory tract: 2 gram of penicillin V (1 gram for children under 60 lbs.) 1 hour before the procedure, and then, 1 gram (500 mg for children under 60 lbs.) 6 hours later.
- Penicillin VK Side Effects
- Penicillin VK Drug Interactions
- Beepen-VK (penicillin V potassium) tablets, oral solution dosage information
- Bicillin LA (penicillin G benzathine) injection, suspension dosage information
- Penicillin dosage information
- Penicillin consumer information
- Permapen Isoject (penicillin G benzathine) Injectable Suspension 1,200,000 units dosage information
- Pfizerpen (penicillin G potassium) injection - powder, for solution dosage information
- Veetids (penicillin) consumer information