Generic name: potassium chloride
Dosage form: capsule, extended release
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Micro-K safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Micro-K.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The usual dietary intake of potassium by the average adult is 50 to 100 mEq per day. Potassium depletion sufficient to cause hypokalemia usually requires the loss of 200 mEq or more of potassium from the total body store.
Dosage must be adjusted to the individual needs of each patient. The dose for the prevention of hypokalemia is typically in the range of 20 mEq per day. Doses of 40 to 100 mEq per day or more are used for the treatment of potassium depletion. Dosage should be divided if more than 20 mEq per day is given such that no more than 20 mEq is given in a single dose. Because of the potential for gastric irritation (see WARNINGS), Micro-K® Extencaps® should be taken with meals and with a full glass of water or other liquid.
Patients who have difficulty swallowing capsules may sprinkle the contents of the capsule onto a spoonful of soft food. The soft food, such as applesauce or pudding, should be swallowed immediately without chewing and followed with a glass of cool water or juice to ensure complete swallowing of the microcapsules. The food used should not be hot and should be soft enough to be swallowed without chewing. Any microcapsule/food mixture should be used immediately and not stored for future use.
- Micro-K Side Effects
- Micro-K Drug Interactions
- Epiklor (potassium chloride) powder, for oral solution dosage information
- K-Dur (potassium chloride) extended-release tablets dosage information
- K-dur (potassium chloride) consumer information
- K-Tab (potassium chloride) tablet, film coated, extended release dosage information
- Klor-Con (potassium chloride) tablet, film coated, extended release dosage information
- Klor-con (potassium chloride) consumer information
- Klor-Con Powder (potassium chloride) powder, for oral solution dosage information
- Klotrix (potassium chloride) tablets dosage information
- Potassium Chloride dosage information
- Potassium Chloride consumer information
- Slow-K (potassium chloride) extended-release tablets USP dosage information