Generic name: diatrizoate meglumine and diatrizoate sodium
Dosage form: oral, rectal liquid
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Gastrografin safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Gastrografin.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Radiographic Examination of Segments of the Gastrointestinal Tract
Oral Administration: Adult oral dosage may range from 30 to 90 mL (11 to 33 g iodine), depending on the nature of the examination and the size of the patient. For infants and children less than 5 years of age, 30 mL (11 g iodine) are usually adequate; for children 5 to 10 years of age, the suggested dose is 60 mL (22 g iodine). These pediatric doses may be diluted 1:1, if desired, with water, carbonated beverage, milk, or mineral oil. When used in infants, the solution may be given in a nursing bottle. Pediatric doses may also be used in dehydrated and/or debilitated adult patients. A 1:1 dilution is also recommended when the contrast medium is used in elderly cachectic individuals.
For Enemas or Enterostomy Instillations: Gastrografin should be diluted when it is used for enemas and enterostomy instillations. When used as an enema, the suggested dilution for adults is 240 mL (88 g iodine) in 1,000 mL of tap water. For children under 5 years of age, a 1:5 dilution in tap water is suggested; for children over 5 years of age, 90 mL (33 g iodine) in 500 mL of tap water is a suitable dilution.
Tomography (Body Imaging)
A usual adult dose is 240 mL of a dilute Gastrografin solution prepared by diluting 25 mL (9.17 g iodine) to one liter with tap water. Less dilute solutions [up to 77 mL (28.26 g iodine) diluted to one liter with tap water] may be used when indicated. The dose is administered orally about 15 to 30 minutes prior to imaging in order to permit the contrast medium to reach the pelvic loops.
- Gastrografin Drug Interactions
- Cystografin (diatrizoate meglumine) Injection dosage information
- Hypaque (diatrizoate sodium) Oral Powder dosage information
- Hypaque-76 (diatrizoate meglumine and diatrizoate sodium) Injection, USP 76% dosage information
- Reno-30 (diatrizoate meglumine) injection dosage information
- Reno-60 (diatrizoate meglumine) injection dosage information
- Reno-Dip (diatrizoate meglumine) Injection dosage information
- RenoCal-76 (diatrizoate meglumine and diatrizoate dodium) Injection USP dosage information
- Renografin-60 (diatrizoate meglumine and diatrizoate sodium) Injection dosage information