Generic name: bupropion hydrobromide
Dosage form: tablet, extended release
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Aplenzin safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Aplenzin.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
â€‹To minimize the risk of seizure, increase the dose gradually [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3)].
APLENZIN should be swallowed whole and not crushed, divided, or chewed. APLENZIN should be administered in the morning and may be taken with or without regard to meals.
Equivalent Daily Doses of APLENZIN (Bupropion hydrobromide) and Bupropion hydrochloride
â€‹See Table 1 for equivalent daily doses of APLENZIN (bupropion hydrobromide) and bupropion hydrochloride.
|APLENZIN (bupropion hydrobromide)||Bupropion hydrochloride|
|522 mg||450 mg|
|348 mg||300 mg|
|174 mg||150 mg|
Dosage for Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
The recommended starting dose for MDD is 174 mg once daily in the morning. After 4 days of dosing, the dose may be increased to the target dose of 348 mg once daily in the morning.
It is generally agreed that acute episodes of depression require several months or longer of antidepressant treatment beyond the response in the acute episode. It is unknown whether the APLENZIN dose needed for maintenance treatment is identical to the dose that provided an initial response. Periodically reassess the need for maintenance treatment and the appropriate dose for such treatment.
Dosage for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
The recommended starting dose for SAD is 174 mg once daily. After 7 days of dosing, the dose may be increased to the target dose of 348 mg once daily in the morning. Doses above 300 mg of bupropion HCl extended-release (equivalent to APLENZIN 348 mg) were not assessed in the SAD trials.
For the prevention of seasonal MDD episodes associated with SAD, initiate APLENZIN in the autumn, prior to the onset of depressive symptoms. Continue treatment through the winter season. Taper and discontinue APLENZIN in early spring. For patients treated with 348 mg per day, decrease the dose to 150 mg once daily before discontinuing APLENZIN. Individualize the timing of initiation and duration of treatment should be individualized, based on the patient’s historical pattern of seasonal MDD episodes.
To Discontinue APLENZIN, Taper the Dose
â€‹When discontinuing treatment in patients treated with APLENZIN 348 mg once daily, decrease the dose to 174 mg once daily prior to discontinuation.
- Aplenzin Side Effects
- Aplenzin Drug Interactions
- Aplenzin (bupropion) consumer information
- Budeprion XL (bupropion hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Buproban (bupropion hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Bupropion dosage information
- Bupropion consumer information
- Forfivo XL (bupropion hydrochloride) tablet, film coated, extended release dosage information
- Forfivo XL (bupropion) consumer information
- Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride) extended-release tablets dosage information
- Wellbutrin (bupropion) consumer information
- Wellbutrin SR (bupropion hydrochloride) tablet, film coated dosage information
- Wellbutrin XL (bupropion hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Zyban (bupropion hydrochloride) tablet, film coated dosage information
- Zyban (bupropion) consumer information