Generic name: testosterone
Dosage form: gel
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use AndroGel safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for AndroGel.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Dosage and Administration for AndroGel 1% differs from AndroGel 1.62%. For dosage and administration of AndroGel 1.62% refer to its full prescribing information. (2)
Dosing and Dose Adjustment
The recommended starting dose of AndroGel 1% is 50 mg of testosterone (4 pump actuations, two 25 mg packets, or one 50 mg packet), applied topically once daily in the morning to the shoulders and upper arms and/or abdomen area (preferably at the same time every day).
To ensure proper dosing, serum testosterone concentrations should be measured at intervals. If the serum testosterone concentration is below the normal range, the daily AndroGel 1% dose may be increased from 50 mg to 75 mg and from 75 mg to 100 mg for adult males as instructed by the physician (see Table 1, Dosing Information for AndroGel 1%). If the serum testosterone concentration exceeds the normal range, the daily AndroGel 1% dose may be decreased. If the serum testosterone concentration consistently exceeds the normal range at a daily dose of 50 mg, AndroGel 1% therapy should be discontinued. In addition, serum testosterone concentrations should be assessed periodically.
AndroGel 1% should be applied to clean, dry, healthy, intact skin of the right and left upper arms/shoulders and/or right and left abdomen. Area of application should be limited to the area that will be covered by the patient’s short sleeve T-shirt. Do not apply AndroGel 1% to any other part of the body including the genitals, chest or back. AndroGel 1% should be evenly distributed between the right and left upper arms/shoulders or both sides of the abdomen.
After applying the gel, the application site should be allowed to dry prior to dressing. Hands should be washed thoroughly with soap and water after application. Avoid fire, flames or smoking until the gel has dried since alcohol based products, including AndroGel 1%, are flammable.
To obtain a full first dose, it is necessary to prime the canister pump. To do so, with the canister in the upright position, slowly and fully depress the actuator three times. Safely discard the gel from the first three actuations. It is only necessary to prime the pump before the first dose. After the priming procedure, patients should completely depress the pump one time actuation for every 12.5 mg of testosterone required to achieve the daily prescribed dosage. The product should be delivered directly into the palm of the hand and then applied to the desired application sites. Alternatively, AndroGel 1% can be applied directly to the application sites. Table 1 provides dosing information for adult males.
|Amount of Testosterone||Number of Pump Actuations|
|50 mg||4 (once daily)|
|75 mg||6 (once daily)|
|100 mg||8 (once daily)|
The entire contents should be squeezed into the palm of the hand and immediately applied to the application sites. Alternately, patients may squeeze a portion of the gel from the packet into the palm of the hand and apply to application sites. Repeat until entire contents have been applied.
- Children and women should avoid contact with unwashed or unclothed application site(s) of men using AndroGel 1%.
- Patients should wash hands with soap and water immediately after application of AndroGel 1%.
- Patients should cover the application site(s) with clothing (e.g., a T-shirt) after the gel has dried.
- Prior to situation in which direct skin-to-skin contact is anticipated, patients should wash the application site thoroughly with soap and water to remove any testosterone residue.
- In the event that unwashed or unclothed skin to which AndroGel 1% has been applied comes in direct contact with the skin of another person, the general area of contact on the other person should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible.
- AndroGel Side Effects
- AndroGel Drug Interactions
- Androgel (testosterone) consumer information
- Androderm (testosterone) patch dosage information
- Axiron (testosterone) topical solution dosage information
- Axiron (testosterone) consumer information
- Bio-T-Gel (testosterone) consumer information
- Delatestryl (testosterone enanthate) injection, solution dosage information
- Depo-Testosterone (testosterone cypionate) injection, solution dosage information
- Fortesta (testosterone) consumer information
- Fortesta Gel (testosterone) topical gel, metered dosage information
- Striant (testosterone) buccal tablet dosage information
- Striant (testosterone) consumer information
- Testim (testosterone) gel dosage information
- Testopel (testosterone) subcutaneous pellet dosage information
- Testosterone dosage information
- Testosterone consumer information